Knights Kingdom II - #8813 Battle at the Pass

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
KingDavid
Apprentice

Knights Kingdom II - #8813 Battle at the Pass

Post by KingDavid »

Okay, I finally got my new King's Castle Siege set built last night. Took a good four hours and she's a beaut. I've got almost all of the Castle theme sets ordered and should be receiving them next week or so. But I've been looking over the Knights' Kingdom sets and I think I've decided on the first set of that theme that is going on my wish list, #8813 Battle at the Pass. Anyone else have this set? It looks perfect for extending my current castle siege scene.

King's Castle Siege:

Battle at the Pass:

The set comes with four battle vehicles, five Knights of Morcia, five Rogue knights, a skeleton, and plenty of weapons. Looks pretty sweet to me. What do you guys think? :D
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Another nice KKII set.
Seriole
Serf

Post by Seriole »

I'd have to say that 8813 is definitely one of the best KKII sets. It has generic soldiers from both sides and the good knights have a nice elite guard look to them. Also, it has a huge supply of weapons and accessories; it's a very tempting buy for the figs and accessories alone. The only problem is that almost of the wall's construction is large wall pieces and burps, but on the other hand those can sometimes be useful. A couple of these would do nicely as extra walls for King's Castle Siege if you change the flag color.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Not a bad idea. Would not mind seeing how they look combined. I think some of the later KKII stuff was nice. Wish I had gotten a few but I was not buying lego stuff at the time.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

I have almost all the Knights Kingdom sets(no king Leo sets).
Hewkiril
Laborer

Post by Hewkiril »

I agree with Seriole - very good set, quite large, great figs [although Dracus has the wrong head ???], but has four of those wall pieces.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=162657]My Brickshelf[/url] - [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/hewkii9/]My Flickr[/url]
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

i got this set a couple years ago, and i must say, it is a pretty good set. It has some pretty good and useful parts in it with a good amount of figs. And i get good use out of those goldish plates that border the top of the wall. (i use them in my crown knights' MOCs) :D
-May your winds be fair !
Old_School_Fan
Laborer

Post by Old_School_Fan »

Yes, this was my favorite KKII set. Four generic soldiers on each side with a commander. Even the pass structure itself is the most well designed, in my opinion, of all KKII sets. A perfect set as far as playability is concerned. Overall just a fun set.
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

For me the only problems I had with this set were the somewhat mismatched armor and colors for the minifigures, the stickers on the walls (un-used) and the Zwords. Beyond that it is great fun!
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
siabur
Laborer

Re: Knights Kingdom II - #8813 Battle at the Pass

Post by siabur »

Battle at the Pass:

The guys in yellow must be tough, they all seem to have forgotton their pants.
Niki
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

The guys in yellow must be tough, they all seem to have forgotton their pants.
Niki
Ever seen the 7 samurai?

That said if I had this set, which sadly I do not and I do not want to spend 60 bucks on it either, those gents would have some new legs added.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

I guess there's no CC review thread for this set, so I'll simply submit my mini-review for it, since I got it and built it tonight.

Let me start by saying by saying two words: siege vehicles. I love those things. And this set has four - a siege tower, an arsenal wagon, a battering ram, and a rolling catapult. The minifigs are okay, too, once you swap around their armor, helms, and equipment so that they all match. (Yeah, I'm about obsessive about such things. I mean, a speckled silver helm and black armor on one guy and then a black helm and speckled silver armor on another one? Duh! Makes no sense to me.) And there are 11 minifigs total, if you count the skeleton. That's pretty sweet. Plus, there are tons of weapons with the set. That's always good, too.

About the structure itself, it's easy to build and pretty solid. Plus, it can be assembled and displayed various ways. LEGO put up some desktop wallpaper on their site at one point showing three different ways to set it up, but the front of the box shows a fourth, in case no one else noticed that.

There are two sticker sheets with this set, which help to add nice touches to the completed structure. There are six leftover stickers, as well, which is nice if you want to stick some on your other LEGO parts.

I don't care so much for the yellow parts used in the siege vehicles, but they do match the Rogue Knights' color scheme, so I guess it's alright. And speaking of the minifigs, for those of you out there who aren't familiar with the Knights Kingdom sets, those nifty helms that many of the knights like Sir Kentis and Vladek wear are actually just generic helmets with flashy visors that snap onto them. I never could tell that from the pictures I saw online. Just something to note in case you'd like to use those visors on some of your Crown Knight helms for variety.

Anyway, this is by far my favorite Knights Kingdom sets and one of my overall favorite LEGO sets. I have already ordered a second one. Very highly recommended. :D

My rating: 8.5/10
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

As for the relative lack of clothes on the Rogue Knights, is it really that hard to believe? Look at these guys in the picture, they are also rather sparsely dressed:

http://www.biblepicturegallery.com/free ... ldier2.gif

Anyway this is a great set and one of the line's best. The amount of figs, weapons and armour is pretty much unrivalled. My only complaint would be the stickers (I believe there were some in the set). It's true that the colours are a bit jumbled but this can be fixed easily.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

It’s obvious to percieve the guys’ yellow arms and legs as their naked skin. That’s the fate of yellow-toned Minifigs.
However, the yellow may be cloth and just reflect the coat of arms of their leader:
http://www.bricklink.com/PL/bb144pb07.jpg
(Unless Dracus decorated his shield with minifigian skin…)

As for the mismatching armour of these guys: I actually liked the fact that those soldiers don’t be wearing all the same uniform. For a barbarian army would likely not bother to tailor neat uniforms for themselves. They simply grab some armour that fits them, and that’s it.

Bye
Jojo
Last edited by Jojo on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Jojo wrote:As for the mismatching armour of these guys: I actually liked the fact that those soldiers don’t be wearing all the same uniform. For a barbarian army would likely not bother to tailor neat uniforms for themselves. They simply grab some armour that fits them, and that’s it.
I agree - with mismatching armor and (if you like) a lot of exposed skin, you really get the feeling of a marauding horde of barbarians coming at your wall. I'm quite happy with that idea - and it's a bit unique to see in a set~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]