Weekly Set Review: Black Falcon's Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
DerBum
Laborer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Black Falcon's Fortress

Post by DerBum »

This set is one of Lego's best. I never owned it, but my older brother did. We would fight for days, my guys based at my Kings Castle, my brother from his BFF. I eventually discovered chem warfare (marbles dipped in peanut butter and fired from a catapult) which allowed me to claim eventual victory.

As a set I like the design... typical 80s Lego Castle, good fortress. The keep with some Tudor style is nice too.
Ernst1963
Gong Farmer

Post by Ernst1963 »

3 years since the latest review of this great set another one !

One of the smallest Castle's but really one of the best if not THE best. Esspecially the simplicity makes it a great castle to build.

Building these old castle's is big fun because all of the small bricks you have to use. Some wall parts and towerpanels of course too, but mainly small bricks; I love it !! No big base plate, just small green plates that allow you to "reshape" the castle. The blue flag with the Black Falcon shield is great, I replaced the front yellow flags once for Black Falcon shields which makes the Fortess look even more great.

Parts used in this set like said before mostly small parts but what I love most of this set are the yellow parts and the black roof. Missing here is a mechanism to pull up or lower the drawbridge, but that's really the only small "flaw" of this set. The set comes with 2 Knights on horses and 4 soldiers, sufficient for a Castle this size.

I like this set so much that I must admit I have 2 of it and 1 re-released 10039.

Value for Money: 5/5
Parts: 4/5
Design: 5/5
Alternate models: 5/5
Play Experience: 5/5
Last edited by Ernst1963 on Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can built a Castle, now I want to MOC a Castle.
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Post by friskywhiskers »

This set does not go anywhere with out an angelic chorus emanating from it :wink:! I am lucky enough to own a copy of it and it is superb!It has a great design, cool figs, and the modularity aspect is nice as well. My only qualm would be that it has no opposing troops, bu compared with the rest of the set, this is a minor oversight.

Value for Money: 5/5
Parts: 4/5
Design: 4/5
Alternate models: 4.5/5
Play Experience: 3.5/5

Over All: 4.2/5!!
Magnus
Artisan

Post by Magnus »

Aesthetically it was very interesting when it first came out, but if it had been released a little later the parts available by then could have made it better. Like the first BF castle, it's a little small, but that also means it was cheaper. I'd love to see Lego release a new castle in the spirit of the classic BFF, but perhaps on a scale closer to the last big castle. I'd keep the gatehouse close to the same size, but make the curtain wall longer, and create more of a keep like structure further back.