Any thoughts on 8823 Mistlands Tower?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
KingDavid
Apprentice

Any thoughts on 8823 Mistlands Tower?

Post by KingDavid »

Anybody else have this set?

I just happened to see a new sealed 8823 Mistlands Tower set on eBay tonight for $35.00 being sold by someone who had 100% positive feedback and I just couldn't resist. So I guess my first non-Castle (technically Knights Kingdom II) set is going to be this one. I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on it.

I still really want 8813 Battle at the Pass and there was a new sealed one on BrickLink for $52.00 by an individual in the USA who had great feedback a few days ago, but now it's gone and it looks like $60.00 is the best I can do on that set anywhere, unless I order it from overseas, which will cost me a fortune in shipping. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to get it soon, too. :D
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

I am about to get one in and can let you know!

:D
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I have it. Its a good set. One of the better KK2 sets. I'm not sure what you mean by it being non-castle though, as it is a castle set.

You might want to check out the review thread about it as well.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

JoshWedin wrote:I have it. Its a good set. One of the better KK2 sets. I'm not sure what you mean by it being non-castle though, as it is a castle set.

You might want to check out the review thread about it as well.

Josh
Oh, I was referring to the "Castle" theme label, as LEGO began using in 2007. The older sets were castle-related, of course, but they never were referred to by LEGO as "Castle" sets. So far, that's all I have. I've gotten all of the 2007 - 2008 Castle sets except for the Castle Giant Chess Set and The Good Wizard, but my chess set is on backorder and it comes with two good wizards, so it's now time for me to start branching out into Knights Kingdom II sets.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the review thread. I did look for one, but didn't see it. :)
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

KingDavid wrote:Oh, I was referring to the "Castle" theme label, as LEGO began using in 2007. The older sets were castle-related, of course, but they never were referred to by LEGO as "Castle" sets.
Ah, I get it. I was confused. ;)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Yep, there's plenty about this set that I'm finding on here now. I guess I should have looked around a bit more on here before posting this thread. My bad. I guess I was just excited to be getting a new set and wanted to talk about it. Anyway, it's not the best set ever, but I thought it was a good deal for $35. :P
quinn.low
Villein

Post by quinn.low »

can anyone tell me what is the "ball" thing on top of the tower?
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Bricklink has the entire inventory:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=8823-1
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

KingDavid wrote:The older sets were castle-related, of course, but they never were referred to by LEGO as "Castle" sets.
That my apply for the more recent series..es (what's the plural of series?).
However, ”Castle“ has been the name of the line from the beginning:

In the year 2000, after a gap of two years filled with the Ninja line, they (Lego, the company) might have found that simple ”Castle“ wasn’t catchy enough anymore, thus they invented the ingenious name ”Knights’ Kingdom“, which, of course, still was the current Castle-line at the time.

Byde
Jojo
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
That my apply for the more recent series..es (what's the plural of series?).
However, ”Castle“ has been the name of the line from the beginning:

In the year 2000, after a gap of two years filled with the Ninja line, they (Lego, the company) might have found that simple ”Castle“ wasn’t catchy enough anymore, thus they invented the ingenious name ”Knights’ Kingdom“, which, of course, still was the current Castle-line at the time.

Byde
Jojo
Ah, I didn't know that. I've never really looked at many of the older "classic castle" sets, mainly because most of them are too expensive for my budget. I just always thought they were referred to as System sets. But a picture's pretty good proof. :wink:
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Put this set together last nite, and it's a bit meh. Not really liking the tower stucture itself and the dungeon isn't inclosed. All easy fixes, but as is it looks more like ruins than a complete tower. I like the general idea of the set though.
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

This is one of the few KK sets I own (though I Bricklinked all of the minifigs). I had it as a stand alone tower, though modified for a while, but when I got the King's Castle Siege I used the mistland towers as a gate to the inner yard of the castle (will post some photos soon). It with various other sections makes the outer curtain wall of the castle. I took the giant mace type thing and added it to the Viking fortress and removed the top level, so now the Mistlands Tower is just a gateway with a small armoury above it.
Lego helps make history fun!
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Post by Seikfreid »

Username wrote:[img]http://www.bricklink.com/PL/30208.jpg[/img
That is the part, except it's in blue, not gold. The set also includes some great weapons variety (I do own it), including battle axes, pikes, halberds, crossbows, and swords, and it it has some nice gates on it. The dragon heads also make a nice bonus. One of my favorite things about the set is King Jayko's armor, which I found is really nice.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

I liked this set, it had some ugly architectual details but it was pretty groovy for some reason, thought it had play value somehow.

Just thought I'd mention that.
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I never bought this set when it was in production, but i was tempted to do so on several occasions. Overall, the design does seem a bit messy. On the other hand, the set appears to have a lot of unique playability, and it does come with quite a few useful pieces. I am not sure to this day whether or not i should have picked it up. I think a large part of my decision not to buy the set related to my lack of interest in the minifigs. I understand why many seem to like the set though...