Check out this guy's fantasy collection

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Check out this guy's fantasy collection

Post by Lcuan82 »

I thought I had a good amount of crown knights (about 200), but this guy has all four factions (dwarves, crownies, trolls, and skeletons) fully equipped... impressive, but imagine the money that went into it!!

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... ltraman-bc
shmails
Bard of the Royal Court

Post by shmails »

Just imagine the size of the castle that would have to be built to hold all those crownies! If you sold all the parts from those sets on bricklink, I bet it wouldn't be too much of a final cost. Very impressive, if not a bit over the top.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

That's a lot of figures, but just standing there all lined up is really boring to me. There needs to be some landscaping and action. Else its really dull.

Nothing to really show for all that, other than you have a lot of money to buy figures...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

lol where does he put them when they're not on the kitchen floor?
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

Athos wrote:That's a lot of figures, but just standing there all lined up is really boring to me. There needs to be some landscaping and action. Else its really dull.

Nothing to really show for all that, other than you have a lot of money to buy figures...

Steve
Hey now, I am purely a minifigs collector too - I find landscaping and castle building too troublesome, and also I can't afford to be a minifig collector AND a builder.

I feel like once you start down a path choosing between minifigs and bricks, it is hard to turn back...
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Lcuan82 wrote: Hey now, I am purely a minifigs collector too -
Nothing wrong with that, I was just expressing why I'm not into it.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

puddleglum wrote:lol where does he put them when they're not on the kitchen floor?
They help with the cooking. :wink:
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Post by RebelRock »

Meh, minifigs are boring without a MOC to put them in. I don't really get the whole "army building" thing. It seems a little OCD. Looking at pictures of someones collection is probably the most boring thing I can imagine. It's just a bunch of lined up product and takes zero creativity.

Also, MOCs without minifigs suck too. :P
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Impressive size, but I'm not into army building. I think if I can get all the released sets, that is enough minifigs for me.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

For some reason I can't open the link, but I don't like the idea of having hundreds and hundreds of minifigs, for the same reason I wouldn't want huge amounts of parts...I think it would take away some of the challenge of building and creating. 'Less is more', if you will.

That's not to say you can't create masterpieces with lots of figs (check out the Battles contest). But I think a lot of people get so caught up in the 'army building' they never really get round to actually building anything.

EDIT: Finally opened the link and... :shock:
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

Wow! That's a big army! They should be put in a MOC for sure!
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Lcuan82
Apprentice

Post by Lcuan82 »

RebelRock wrote:Meh, minifigs are boring without a MOC to put them in. I don't really get the whole "army building" thing. It seems a little OCD. Looking at pictures of someones collection is probably the most boring thing I can imagine. It's just a bunch of lined up product and takes zero creativity.

If I could, I would look at pictures of massive armies all day and drool, haha.
WhiteFang
Villein

Post by WhiteFang »

One of the massive castle army builder which I have known in Singapore. He bought many many multiple sets from 2007 to 2008 to aid in his armies creation. Even though, there is lack of creativity involved, but the focus of army building is clearly impressive. With that kind of scale, I am sure this can be integrated in his future castle projects or dioramas.
[url=http://www.classic-town.net/]Classic Town.net[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=whitefang]My Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=WhiteFang]My BrickLink Store[/url]
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

RebelRock wrote:Meh, minifigs are boring without a MOC to put them in. I don't really get the whole "army building" thing. It seems a little OCD. Looking at pictures of someones collection is probably the most boring thing I can imagine. It's just a bunch of lined up product and takes zero creativity.

While I can appreciate this sentiment in this instance, I can say that (in my own all too humble case) not all built armies are "lined up product and takes zero creativity". I don't have anywhere near updated pics of mine but I've seen plenty of other army builders that share my following view, that most of the fun is building many creative minfigs and making of them an army.
I agree that many out there who enjoy collecting show no creativity and are content to line up hundreds of the official fig, though many are also striving to impart individuality in the ranks and a sense of general disarray that comes to mind when you think "horde".
The problem could possibly be that most new fans of LEGO have no cheap minifig fodder but the rather limiting new crownies and their foes and allies. The possibilities of combination (when compared to the CC era) are slim and work with a much smaller color palate.
My army has no faction in excess of 50 and, while that may be cheating in the eyes of some army builders out there, I find it imparts realism to an army of the medieval period, which was rarely comprised of just one faction (sigil) Even among the various factions I try to add distinction between different dragon, lion, and eagle shields. I can't think of any, but my meager ninja host, that are an official minifig, and not to toot my own horn, but that does strike me as miniminaly creative.
I'm not trying to pick a fight and as I say, regarding this instance, I agree this does take little creativity and only a checkbook, no offence to any army builders out there, I for one can still sit for hours looking at your generic, assembly-line armies :wink:

Sorry for da rant,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
albero78
Bailiff

Post by albero78 »

Impressive. I love minifigs but I agree that without the contest of a MOC they "lose something".
From the pictures it's really clear the lack of different colours for dwarves' beards.
Andrea Albertazzi
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=albero78]MY BRICKSHELF GALLERY[/url] | [img]http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/9002/itarp2.jpg[/img]