'09 Castle sets at the U.S. Toy Fair

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

There are some really nice things, such as the plume on the knight, and the goblin king and queen. However, lots of things I don't like. For example, a blue chariot. Blue...not brown. The knight, he's gold, but it's that new gold. What I really want is a one time special edition Knight who is fully gold chromed. The same euro-armor, same helmet, and then a body also, and sword and shield already exist.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I am quite liking these upcoming sets. I am most looking forward to the Drawbridge and thats probably what I'll next buy (only because I probably can't afford the Troll Fort). I dislike the Kings Carriage though.

P.S: some of those comments at the bottom of the Kris Abel pictures are really irritating. I'm glad CC isn't like that.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

Oh my god! An all gold knight. I want that. Then they are coming out with a queen, a troll king and a troll shaman. Wow, 2009 is going to be an expensive year.
Lego helps make history fun!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Outcast,

I agree. The CC is at least civil, mostly. :wink:

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

Heir,
Mostly means my MOCs will remain 'unlisted' in CC but prsent on brickshelf.
Sean

PS Teaser photo on the way (via PM) from my 60% complete Crown Regiment.
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Re: '09 Castle sets at the U.S. Toy Fair

Post by JPinoy »

:O A GOLDEN ARMORED KNIGHT!

I HAVE to rearrange my armies to make room! I know! I'll use them for my Kievan Rus faction! Russian gold! :D
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

JPinoy wrote::O A GOLDEN ARMORED KNIGHT!

I HAVE to rearrange my armies to make room! I know! I'll use them for my Kievan Rus faction! Russian gold! :D
See that's what I hate with these newer factions, KKII included, there all decorated.
I'd like to use him creatively as well but the big crown on his chest is going to preclude his being used as anything other than a gold crownie. Why can't LEGO just give us plain armor and generic chests. I'd rather a cool color armor like this be an option for many factions but, as I refuse to mix heraldry, he'll just be another crownie knight. Things have been taking this dive since the chrome silver bull shield. While I'm sure plenty of people have no problem using it on any faction I see it only as a bull champion's.
Sorry for the rant but these printed armors been tickin me off for a while,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

J,

Kievan Rus eh.... too bad lego does not have one of those cool face masks eastern cavalry wore.

Loktar,

I don't know. Heraldry repeats itself so I do not feel like the Crown on the Gold Knight makes it so he has to be a crownie. In Fact without the shield I think he looks somewhat apart from their normal scheme of colours.

Heir
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Heir,
I agree his color scheme is quite different from the crownies, I'm just anal about this sorta thing. :spin: While heraldry does repeat often in history, I prefer to use the limited LEGO options as they come and would only use say, the KKII dragon, DM dragon, and the BK dragon as different factions or, CC crownie and new crownie. That said I'm not opposed to using the second, less common (to me) sigil as a household knight or lesser house of the same affiliation. It's a shame I'm too crazy elitist to use this new armor to make a gold knight for multiple factions, it'd just look weird IMO... Hmm maybe Brasso is the answer.
Still gonna be a cool minifig though, can't wait,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Ser Loktar wrote:Hmm maybe Brasso is the answer.
Brasso the Gold Knight's armor? Why not just buy the plain pearl gold breastplates off bricklink?
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Username wrote:
Brasso the Gold Knight's armor? Why not just buy the plain pearl gold breastplates off bricklink?

Ahh brilliance :oops:
I'm an idiot
GRRM
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Ser Loktar wrote:
Username wrote:

Ahh brilliance :oops:
I'm an idiot
Feel free to send me your Golden Knight(s).

:D
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

Trolls Mountain Fortress: I like this set. It has a lot of useful parts, and the figs look great. (I think the troll king's crown is brass, which is a first.) The new armored ogres (giant trolls) look... okay. I like the improvements (especially that tattoo), but I'm just not that thrilled by the ogres in general. They're too static; their only range of motion is at the shoulders and wrists.

Drawbridge Defense: I'm underwhelmed by the set design itself, but the minifigs are great. I'll definitely pick up one for the figs alone. I'm seeing the gold knight as a king's champion character. I might piece the set itself out, or I might build it for the sake of having it assembled. I probably won't buy more than one of this set, though. Too many unique figures that I wouldn't find uses for duplicates of.

Kings Battle Chariot: Meh. I don't see anything exciting here, aside from two orc shields in the same set. I already have one king. I guess I could switch out the head and remove the helmet to make him a prince or something (I did something similar to make a queen with my duplicate princess), but it's not like I need anything that's in this set. I might buy this set for the sake of completion, but of all the sets I've seen, I'm most likely to pass this one up.

I found some better pictures of this set on Flickr, but I'm not sure if they're fair game for linking. Or are all images of these sets now cleared for linkage?
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Draconis,

You should be fine now since TLC already released them sets at several toy fairs.

I was hoping the chariot would be a bit cheaper but as the parts and minifig count is decent this likely will be one I get a few of. I just swap the crown off the extra kings (I have three at the moment) place a nice helmet on them and they are the king's household knights. Having shields with the troll/orcs is great. Seems like they were short running in 2008 and the troll warship used them in the build.

Heir
Sir Prog
Laborer

Re:

Post by Sir Prog »

Sir Dano wrote:Rather than start a new topic, I'll just add on to this one. ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/no_onions/ ... 848815036/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeljohnson/3281502344/
Those are some EXCITING pics!! Looking forward to acquiring the Troll Fortress. However, I'm disappointed in it's near-perfect symmetry. I would figure that a Troll fortress would be a little more staggered or something, jagged rocks and debris, etc. :(

And the Jester is PHENOMENAL! However, that set is a deliberate (and inferior) rehash of the Gargoyle Bridge from 2 years ago...which I already own. :( :? Where's the "new ideas"???
For the King's Castle!