Wolfpack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Wolfpack

Post by Formendacil »

Dr.Cogg wrote:The Wolfpack were exactly as their name suggests: a group of thieves that stole from everyone for themselves, just as wolves do.
As tempting as it is to point at the name "Wolfpack" and say, "it is elementary, my dear Watson--the problem is solved," I don't think you can do that.

For one thing, if you take the name "Wolfpack" so literally, you really ought to be able to do that with the other themes. For example, all the Royal Knights must be knights (yet there are apparently footsoldiers) and have royal blood. Or the Black Knights must all be black knights (and yet their colour spectrum includes blue and red and they are just as associated with their dragon emblem) or else knights of black--as in African--blood (and yet, they seem to be a European-inspired faction)... and again there is the problem of them all being knights.

Furthermore, I don't know that the name Wolfpack exactly suggest thieves who steal from others for themselves. Wolves are somewhat more than this, after all--they are also among the more feared predators, which suggests mercenaries, rather than thieves. The term "wolf" could also evoke the non-domesticity of the animal, in contrast to dogs, for example--which might suggest a hint of outlaw, like Robin Hood, but with a rabid tinge.

Beyond that, however, is the word "pack" which puts an emphasis on the band, or brotherhood, or guild, or whatever... but if the word is to be taken literally, it does suggest some sense of honour--even if it is only "honour among thieves."

...and that's only the English name for the theme. Since I don't know them, I can't comment on the French, German, or Spanish names, for example... and if any name ought to be definitive, you'd think it would be the Danish.

None of which, mind you, really disproves that the Wolfpack are thieves. They might be. Lego, for all I know, might even have intended them to be... though I think it more likely that Lego intended to make a foil for both the Black Knights (which were contemporary) and the Forestmen (who would have had a strong presence in lingering sets), but without specifying things more definitely. Hence why a thread like this can exist at all...

For myself the Wolfpack are a mercenary band (albeit an unusually honourable one), active in Black Knight/Dragon Master lands, but with a chip on their shoulder in reference to said Black Knights/Dragon Masters, and also strongly distrustful of their cousins, the Forestmen, over the border in Lion/Black Falconland. Of course (and this is my point), that's just me.
J_MAN
Gong Farmer
Gong Farmer

Post by J_MAN »

I see the Wolfpack as a band of robbers and mercenaries, willing to kill for money. They are :twisted:
Knight Man
Journeyman

Post by Knight Man »

Sneaky robbers, thieves, and criminals. ~KnightMan~
[img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8475/8406300705_86b2d80f86_m.jpg[/img] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/76575933@N02/]My Flickr[/url] [url=https://brickset.com/sets/ownedby-The_Creator]My sets[/url]