Wolfpack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I also think of Wolfpack as "forestmen without morals".

However, everybody's free to make up their own stories.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

In my world the Wolfpack started as a merchant guild. As times got tough they had to become armed so that they could safely transport their goods. At some point there became two branches of the guild the merchants and the protectors. The armed group started hiring out their services to other merchants and travelers. As the money started flowing in so did their power with in the guild. The Wolfpack became less merchants but an armed force that no one wants to associate with but most merchants and wealthy will use there services to ensure save passage through the wild lands.

There are theories that the Wolfpack are also the ones that make it roads unsafe for those that do not use their service. But these theories have yet to be proven.
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

Re

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

Wolfpack for me is like a medieval mafia.

They fill a ton of roles.

Extortion - Much of their influence is because they extort money out of innkeepers and shop-owners in a "protection racket" kind of scheme. "We'll protect you from anything bad happening". That's not to say they don't rob or steal, but they're cunning like wolves, so they'll go for using fear to do the work.

Bribery - They get away with a lot, because they're not afraid to bribe officials, nobles, and so forth, and exploit scandals for their own profit.

Bandits - Within their territory the Wolfpack have zero problems stealing from you on the roadside, however, they're smooth about it. "If you want to pass through these woods safely, you'll have to pay the "tax". They're willing to let you pay them with very little violence involved, but if you refuse, you'll go about twenty yards before they outright rob you.

Assassination - Every good mafia type group has a few hired-killers in their midst. You did a favor for the Wolfpack and now some noble is oppressing you and your family? Leave it to the Wolfpack, we'll deal with him. Royal knights are making it hard for you run your "Wolfpack-endorsed" gambling den? We'll deal with him. You just hate a guy and need a favor? You got it.

Gambling - The Wolfpack's penchant for extortion and bribery makes them naturals for running, or being associated with, gambler's dens.

Smuggling - Smuggling is another big one.

Banking - These guys manage money and have a top-secret, super strong vault where they store things. So for a lot of merchants, black market profiteers, pirates and crooks, these guys are the premiere bank. They hold your money for you.

Their motivation? All that is shiny! They are into money, greed, the influence that it can get you, and living outside the law.

Any dubious connections you might have heard about the harboring or sheltering of werewolves is hear-say, it's a lie!
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I view them as a counterpart faction of the forestmen. I don't have them as being either good or evil but more neutral or in the middle. They are a faction that pretty much wants to be left alone with no one tresspassing on their territory. They value nature and have their "Castles" like the Forestmen: blended in with the trees and hills of the landscape.

To me its interesting that the majority of the members here use this faction as a bunch of thugs and robbers, etc, etc. So I have some of the other neighboring factions spread false rumors like those about them to put them down. The Wolfpack doesn't mind so much as it helps keep people out.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I treat wolfpack as the good guys

Then again I treat the skellies the same and Crownies as evil :lol:
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

I always used them as mercenaries, and occasionally as marauders. They followed gold, not morals and were for hire, not stealing in their free time.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Legoist
Peasant

Post by Legoist »

Sir Dano wrote:
Sir Nelson wrote:Out of curiosity, what are you guys basing your theories on? Are the Wolfpack really a bunch of 'bad guys'? C'mon, help an old, evil wizard out here... :roll:
From this, perhaps. ;) :P
Crusaders = Lawful Good
Forestmen = Chaotic Good
Black Knights = Lawful Evil
Wolfpack = Chaotic Evil
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Sir Dano wrote:From this, perhaps. ;) :P
Interesting. Also interesting that they say nothing about ”good“ or ”evil“. And naturally, I like it that way.

A bunch of robbers would likely not give themselves a coat of arms, let alone any containing the tincture Argent. Why would they bother? On the other hand they are clearly some kind of robbers, so they probably are some impoverished nobility, forced to that kind of lifestyle…

Bye
Jojo
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Re: Wolfpack

Post by Lord Tyler II »

I think the title of Highwaymen fits them well. I dunno, just a thought.
LordZode
Apprentice

Re:

Post by LordZode »

Legoist wrote:
Sir Dano wrote:
Sir Nelson wrote:Out of curiosity, what are you guys basing your theories on? Are the Wolfpack really a bunch of 'bad guys'? C'mon, help an old, evil wizard out here... :roll:
From this, perhaps. ;) :P
Crusaders = Lawful Good
Forestmen = Chaotic Good
Black Knights = Lawful Evil
Wolfpack = Chaotic Evil
I'd consider the Wolfpack more Neutral Evil or Chaotic Neutral then Chaotic Evil according to the D&D system of alignments.

Though they may not be opposed to robbing or doing anything in their own self interest, I can't see them wreaking wanton destruction burning down the Medieval Market Village and slaughtering innocents when it WON'T profit them - the trolls or skeletons would perhaps be more likely to engage in utterly destructive behavior in my mind.
P.S. If you need help making MOCs, making posts, or don't know what to do next, please, let me know! I'm here to help! ;)
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Zode,

Good point. I look at them like that. Sure they will rob or beat someone up for their lunch money but not just for fun.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

After playing through TLC's storyline for the Wolfpack when I was younger, my wolfpack soldiers came to meet to roles. For awhile, the wolfpack had a tainted reputation in my lego kingdom for playing the roles of greedy robbers. Then, (and for the longest period of time) the Wolfpack became a group of sell swords, mercenary thugs who would fight for the right payment in my lego "kingdom". Although, due to the changing shape of the factions in my kingdom, the Wolfpack may end up being traded to a new kingdom to recruit soldiers of a different faction. All in all, the Wolfpack is a very interesting faction from the past...
knight howdy
Laborer

Post by knight howdy »

i see them like robbers...
not that they (without a reason) will kill anyone.
they got a special slogan in my kingdom...the more gold the better. :D
So....you think you can build with lego.
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

Well I've got two wolfpack boys living in my MMV and two wolfpack boys living in the KCS, one as an apprentice owl keeper and the other as part of the servant crew. Their fathers might not be, but I've got only good kids in my kingdom.
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

If I had to choose between Wolfpack and Forrestmen, I'd go to the Forrest every time. Wolfpack always seemed lacking in character to me with the brown/black hood being the only headpiece, the same torso and two heads for every character. There's just so little development of the sub-theme Wolfpack that I really had a hard time getting into it. If it were to be brought back in any fashion I'd like to see more individual character development and a true Wolfpack soldier class along with some better thug-ish hideouts, bandit runs and smuggling operations. Seems like they ought to have a front-business operation going too with a secret hideout in the Crown-town. Assassins, thieves, smugglers and rogues they'd be and that deserves more input from LEGO creative minds.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-