Wolfpack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Foulques de Legoléon
Villein

Re: Wolfpack

Post by Foulques de Legoléon »

About wolves character, official presentation from general catalog of 1992, page 22:

The wolf people are coming-but how many?

while the Black Knights and the Lion Knights fight for
the throne, the forest people worry about the Wolf
People, the new gentlemen- robbers in town.
How many can you spot in the large picture below?

So, gentlemen robbers!
thedevil44
Serf

Post by thedevil44 »

The Wolfpack has long been one of my favorite themes. I think they share the same mystery and mystique of the Forrestmen sets without any predetermined plot lines (i.e. Robin hood, steal from the rich and give to the poor). I have always liked this theme and wished it had been expanded upon. I remember liking the color and scheme when I was a child and making them win all the battles. So I guess to me, as a child, they were good guys.
Kevin1990
Grounded

Post by Kevin1990 »

I have a feeling that wolfpack will be expendit
plus I bet people here have lots of great wolfpack moc's wich you can use to create something cool :D
[url=http://www.brickmania.com/community/]Top Poster on Brickmania[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/feedback.asp?u=Kevin1990]Proud Briclinker[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Kevin1990]Brickshelf[/url]
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

I loved reading all of these interpretations of the Wolfpack and see where many of these interps naturally overlap just as the great fictional characters of folklore experience different retcons and reinterpretations. As I sought to remember what my own WP interpretation was as a child, I realized that I had an evolving kind of view of their role in Lego Castle.

My earliest impression was that of an ally to the forestmen. They were the "new forestmen" in the sense they represented anti-establishment. However, the detail of their costumes, especially the shields, indicate a more formal training or background. Thus, this evolved my notion that the WP, while outcasts like the FM, operated more like an Assassin's Creed. Yes, because they were so few in number indicates that members are of elite training. Wolfpacks themselves (the animal packs now) are notorious for traveling in small groups, which is mirrored by the low number of WP minifigs produced. Plus, wolves are fierce yet loyal, further characterizing the ambiance of an elite group of outlaws that still operate under a specific code of conduct.

They are as exciting as they are mysterious, and for good reason. If they do indeed have a code of honor but are elitely trained, then the code itself would be a secret known only to the few members, and thus foreign to outsiders...including us! :eyebrows:

Thus, theoretically we can only speculate as true their ultimate true nature, and our interpretations operate much like modern historians in attempting to piece together their past with what little information we have. :shock:

Wolfpack! :D
For the King's Castle!
Elbadar
Artisan

Post by Elbadar »

In my lego world the wolfpack are a guild of mercenaries. In cities that need protection they set up a guild house and so long as the payment keeps up so does the protection. In cities that don't need protection they take up privat contracts. This gives them a bad name, and they're guild is now outlawed in both my crownie and crusader kingdoms. They fight for all sides be they military, political, or domestic, but in general they don't do things that makes the government think their a hazard. They're into smuggling, fighting, and assasination. They actually aren't robbers in my world, though they have no problem with robbery, it's just a bit beneath them. their guildmaster at present is Sir William Bjorn, a man of mixed viking and black knight descent (although theyre not called black knights in my lego world).
Back to the front!
elondisc
Laborer

Post by elondisc »

When I started reading this thread, my mind formed the thought that the wolf pack were anarchists. After reading through peoples replies I think what I was getting at was that they are chaotic neutral or anti-establishment more than anarchists, similar to what other people have said.
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

I think they are the pirates of the day - smuggling etc
troll
Laborer

Post by troll »

I see Wolfpack as a large and more professional "underground" organization, and if you had
something you would have done, want someone dead, defend you or so you could hire them to the job.

;)
Look! it's a troll, it's a funny troll! ---> :orc:

"When nothing goes right, go left"
BiggerJim
Apprentice

Post by BiggerJim »

troll wrote:I see Wolfpack as a large and more professional "underground" organization
Thats a great word! It sums up being smugglers, assasins, thieves, rougues and knaves! All for a greater good of course
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=biggerjim]My store[/url] [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggerjim/]My Flickr[/url]
MOC's come and go....But sorting is forever.
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

While I don't (currently) own any Wolfpack sets or figs, but from what I've read through this thread I, personally, think the Wolfpack were the land equivalent of Pirates, plundering what they want, leaving what they didn't.

Wolfpack was such a cool faction too, hopefully we'll see the return of the Wolfpack sometime soon.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
sidewinderl
Laborer

Post by sidewinderl »

The story of the Death Corps (which is also the name I use for my human faction based off the 2007 Castle theme skeleton faction) from Final Fantasy Tactics would be a good one to explain the Wolf Pack. The Death Corps (later called Corpse Brigade in the PSP George Lucas edition of the game) were commoner soldiers who fought for the crown during the war. The war drained both sides...drought and famine only made things worse. So when it came time to pay the Death Corps for their service, there was no money, and the nobility turned them away.

In retaliation, the Death Corps revolted against the nobility and turned to a life of thievery and kidnapping. In the game you play a young noble who fights against them, but after a while he begins to have doubts about what he's doing. While their actions are wrong, they're not exactly evil, since they were wronged to begin with. I think that would sum up the Wolf Pack perfectly.
Surfpenguin
Serf

Post by Surfpenguin »

Personally, I see them as villains quite in the way that Shakespere's Richard III sees himself as one: "And since I cannot prove a lover, I shall prove myself a villain, and hate the idles pleasures of these days..." in short, they are 'bad guys' and they KNOW it.
"The true measure of a hero is not in the greatness of his deeds, it's in the greatness of the deeds he inspires in others"
legosammy
Serf

Post by legosammy »

I think they are bandits with the wolf as there clan symbol. They build there hideouts in ruined castles in the forest
TheFlarbar
Gong Farmer

Re:

Post by TheFlarbar »

Sir Kohran wrote:
insurrection wrote:
Sir Kohran wrote:I always saw them as 'stealing from the rich, keeping for themselves'. So basically a gang of nasty criminals.
I see them as 'stealing from the rich, keeping for themselves'. So basically deacent fellas...
:)
I guess you're joking here, but just to clarify, perhaps 'stealing from everybody, keeping for themselves' is more suited to what I was thinking :wink:
I think they are at odds with the Black Knight scum, but they steal from everyone else to make ends meet.
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

The Wolf pack were exactly as their name suggest , a group of thieves that stole from everyone for themselves ,just as wolves do.