thoughts on troll's mountain fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
timber_wolf899
Merchant

thoughts on troll's mountain fortress

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Here are some of my thoughts, in no particular order.

1. Looks to be a basic floorplan, square castle with a gate flanked by towers, and rear corner towers. Same floor plan as 7094.
-the good: a fully walled castle! this cannot be overstated!
-the bad: no gatehouse, not much imagination as with the non square layout of viking fort.

2. Brick built gate, showing the intigration of the idea from vikings into mainstream castle!
-the good: brick built gate!

3. color scheme is growing on me

4. getting tired of 'prison towers'. i mean i know why they do it, visability, but give me a dungeon?
Domino Gloria!
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I quite like the look of the troll fortress

Everything seems to work for me: the gate, the shamaness, the new giant trolls- its all fine

I cant imagine how they managed to capture the most important man in the crownie nation though
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Can't say I like it much, the design doesn't look very inspired; just looks like a load of brown/grey bricks with some horns and 'evil stuff' slapped on. I do like some of the parts, but the set is a bit weak.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Sir Kohran wrote:Can't say I like it much, the design doesn't look very inspired; just looks like a load of brown/grey bricks with some horns and 'evil stuff' slapped on. I do like some of the parts, but the set is a bit weak.
Actually that's a pretty good description of my feelings for it too...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Seikfreid
Journeyman

Post by Seikfreid »

I like the parts it includes and the gate, but that's about it. Is there a known release date?
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

I thought they should change the color to mocha rocks and dark bley were the light bley is, because right now it looks like a crowny fortress with some troll decore, also I think they need to give the Troll King armor and give him a different crown ,I suggested Mola Rams helmet in gold with white horns and Troll Commander armor in gold. p.s. the release date is supposedly August.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I kinda like it how it is. I wish they had used some of the wood looking pieces for some palisades and battlements over the spikes but I can always do that on my own later. I think it seems like a fair representation of what a troll/orc HQ should be like, simple, somewhat in disrepair and crumbling but still able to be defensive.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

I don't like the design based on the photos I have seen, but, you know, shouldn't you actually wait for more details/you've actually built it before posting your "impressions"? :roll:
Brik Masta
Foot Soldier

Post by Brik Masta »

This set could work out.
outcast wrote: I cant imagine how they managed to capture the most important man in the crownie nation though
I've heard that there might be a couple trolls in the King's Chariot set.
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

Once the castle line has ended we are going to have a lot of kings :lol:
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

interesting that the crown knight is using a flail?

Do any of you weapons experts think that would cause enough damage to a giant troll? It seems to me you'd need a heavy axe/lance/or a sword like terminus est?
Domino Gloria!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

The flail can land more force than a typical two handed weapon I'd assume. Seems like long chain ones like TLC makes were less common than those with shorter chains in Europe. Most flails in medieval europe had short chains. Either way they both can generate a great deal of power. The Hussites were made up primarily of flailmen as the force they created could do damage to knights even in plate armour.

I'd like a very long weapon like a halbard or pike for the trolls...

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

RichardAM wrote:I don't like the design based on the photos I have seen, but, you know, shouldn't you actually wait for more details/you've actually built it before posting your "impressions"? :roll:
Why should I wait when I can make hasty decisions now? ;)

This set isn't exactly like I imagined it would be. It will cost more than I'd like it to and does not contain exactly the parts and minifigs I would have liked. I also worry that it will not be available in my local area.

I hate it.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

From the pics, it's not what I wanted it to be, but it may be much better in hand. What is the price point for this set?
LordZode
Apprentice

Post by LordZode »

$99, perhaps not the best pieces for a regular BrickLink user, but pretty amazing and unique mini-figs - which seems to be par for course to some degree.

The Medieval Market Village is almost certainly a better value for an AFOL, but IMHO the Troll King, Priestess, and Giant Trolls are must-haves.
P.S. If you need help making MOCs, making posts, or don't know what to do next, please, let me know! I'm here to help! ;)