thoughts on troll's mountain fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
TheMaster
Peasant

Re: thoughts on troll's mountain fortress

Post by TheMaster »

In my opinion the set would be better if it was a mix between the Night lord's Castle and Doctor Inferno's Volcano base. The set is called Troll's Mountain Fortress but where is the mountain?
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

TheMaster wrote:In my opinion the set would be better if it was a mix between the Night lord's Castle and Doctor Inferno's Volcano base. The set is called Troll's Mountain Fortress but where is the mountain?
Oooooooh, SNAP (Brick)!

Do we have any immediate pics of Night Lord's Castle?
For the King's Castle!
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

Sir Prog wrote:
TheMaster wrote:In my opinion the set would be better if it was a mix between the Night lord's Castle and Doctor Inferno's Volcano base. The set is called Troll's Mountain Fortress but where is the mountain?
Oooooooh, SNAP (Brick)!

Do we have any immediate pics of Night Lord's Castle?
Ask and it shall be given unto you.
TheMaster
Peasant

Post by TheMaster »

Night Lord's Castle
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

TheMaster wrote:Image
Night Lord's Castle
i thought this was the one in question, but I wasn't certain. I'm a BIG FAN of this design! Maybe the first set to include a tower this tall?? I wish I would have been "in the game" when this set was in its prime...ownership would have been certain!
For the King's Castle!
TheMaster
Peasant

Post by TheMaster »

I think it has a great design and the Troll Mountain Fortress should have re visited the design, but instead we get a castle that is very similar to the Kings Castle Siege.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I am not sure if I'd have liked it better using Night Lord's Castle as a guide. It looks fine but not really the same, more of a tower than a castle really.

I think if Lego would have made the rocky base of the troll castle more irregular upwards, a few jutting mountain tops or the like, then built the castle onto that it'd look more like what you are saying. I agree they did not play up the mountain, in mountain fortress as well as it could have been.

I guess is is slightly like KCS but for the most part they are quite unlike each other from what I have seen. The troll fort being able to be placed at wild angles while KCS more or less set in floorplan along straight lines.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:I am not sure if I'd have liked it better using Night Lord's Castle as a guide. It looks fine but not really the same, more of a tower than a castle really.

I think if Lego would have made the rocky base of the troll castle more irregular upwards, a few jutting mountain tops or the like, then built the castle onto that it'd look more like what you are saying. I agree they did not play up the mountain, in mountain fortress as well as it could have been.

I guess is is slightly like KCS but for the most part they are quite unlike each other from what I have seen. The troll fort being able to be placed at wild angles while KCS more or less set in floorplan along straight lines.

Heir
I couldn't agree more, and I feel as though this echoes most fan sentiment. If we truly embrace the fantasy narrative as Org/Troll not only as Other, but as more primitive, then it would have made natural architectural sense for the design to embrace a rugged, primitive design. Trolls/Orgs , as most fantasize them, are not into linear architecture as much as they are ready to go to war...so I envision their design much more sinister, full of archaic booby traps and tricks. The only supposition I guess you could make for the set is to proceed as if the Orcs/Troll inhabit a conquered or abandoned kingdom...perhaps once belonging to the Dwarves even??
For the King's Castle!
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I think its great to have a troll castle, especialy because the king has one as well so it kind of fits together. :)

what i'd like to see is a kings boat like sea serpent now to match up with the troll warship. :D
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Gormadoc,

I was just thinking that today actually. How come TLC keeps making boats for the baddies but nothing for the good guys? Last one was 2005 knight's warbarge or something like that. Maybe they are afraid of water?

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
chump
Peasant

Post by chump »

Sorry, to pump life into this years old thread, but this I thought deserved a mention of what the Troll Mountain's Fortress should have been (had you bought two and were named Hiffie)

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiffieLego# ... XLM12Hpq2Y
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

That's really well made, great use of two troll's fortresses!
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

Neat! Very interesting way to display a MOC! Not to mention the build looks like a lot of fun. Very playable, which is something that I like to see :mrgreen:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Very nice way to display a MOC, plus some other funny movies as well. I wonder where he/she gets the music for the clips.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

For some reason, the point where "Another door" is identified tickled my funny bone. Excellent detail inside - that really impressed me.
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)