If you could bring back any faction?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

What faction would you like to see return?

Black Falcons
19%
Black Knights
6%
Classic
6%
Crusaders
7%
Dragon Knights/Dragon Masters
4%
Forestmen
35%
Fright Knights
1%
Knights' Kingdom 1 & Bullpack
5%
Royal Knights
5%
Wolfpack
13%

Total votes: 124

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: If you could bring back any faction?

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Ben,

Those are some factions that come close to what I voted (Black Falcon) for me. I am not surprised that forestment are so well supported as few people I have met disliked them. They appeal as they are out of the standard faction characteristics. I have always seen the Royal Knights and KKI as a continued Lion Knights run. By far the best arms to me were those of the Black Knights. Still think they have two of the best castles of all time as well, along with a score of awesome smaller sets.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Evil Ben wrote:I'm kind of surprised that the Black Knights and Crusaders have so little support, though. Any explanations?
It's probably just as simple as people having a greater preference for one of the other groups. Both the Black Knights and the Lion Knights/Crusaders were very well developed factions with a great range of figures and accessories (bardings, flags etc). The Black Falcons on the other hand were less developed. They didn't have the range of torsos that the Lion Knights had, nor did they have any distinct barding or the unique plumes of the Black Knights. I suspect alot of fans would have liked to see these guys developed a bit further. The Forestmen are simply a different sort of faction being bandits/outlaws instead of knights. This kind of faction is considerably less common than the conventional heroic knight.

Even if AFOLs have a stronger interest in the Black Falcons and Forestmen it doesn't mean that they don't support the other factions as well. It simply means that given a choice, most fans would take the Black Falcons or Forestmen before the Lion Knights/Crusaders.
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

I had lots of Classic as a kid and played with that faction heaps (wore out/off torso markings!) Left Castle for a long while; went to Technic then away from Lego. Got back into castle when Fantasy erupted onto the screen and am now a Castle purist AFOL. What's the point of my dribble? The coolest faction I missed out on was Wolfpack. In my Legoverse, they will become the peasants but sly-n-sneaky ones (trying to build up 25ish now.) I'm a Crownie boy (MAN?) now so Black Falcons didnt get a look in. As for Forestmen? Never did like Robin Hood.....
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
ragnarok
Bailiff

Post by ragnarok »

Definitely Crusaders. As someone else mentioned - very well developed faction. I would say the top of classis castle development.
Let the Lions roar again...
Evil Ben
Freeman

Post by Evil Ben »

Blueandwhite wrote: It's probably just as simple as people having a greater preference for one of the other groups. Both the Black Knights and the Lion Knights/Crusaders were very well developed factions with a great range of figures and accessories (bardings, flags etc). The Black Falcons on the other hand were less developed. They didn't have the range of torsos that the Lion Knights had, nor did they have any distinct barding or the unique plumes of the Black Knights. I suspect alot of fans would have liked to see these guys developed a bit further. The Forestmen are simply a different sort of faction being bandits/outlaws instead of knights. This kind of faction is considerably less common than the conventional heroic knight.

Even if AFOLs have a stronger interest in the Black Falcons and Forestmen it doesn't mean that they don't support the other factions as well. It simply means that given a choice, most fans would take the Black Falcons or Forestmen before the Lion Knights/Crusaders.
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:
Those are some factions that come close to what I voted (Black Falcon) for me. I am not surprised that forestment are so well supported as few people I have met disliked them. They appeal as they are out of the standard faction characteristics. I have always seen the Royal Knights and KKI as a continued Lion Knights run. By far the best arms to me were those of the Black Knights. Still think they have two of the best castles of all time as well, along with a score of awesome smaller sets.
All of that makes sense; thanks for the responses. :D Although I'm not at all surprised to see them come out first, I guess I'm still a little surprised at the sheer scale of support for the forestmen (way more than everyone else put together). But if TLC were by any distant chance actually to take note of that support you wouldn't hear me complaining...
Richie
Villein

Post by Richie »

The Royal Knights. But there are many more factions I like to see returned. It depends mostly on the quality of the sets. The new pirates theme is much less than the original one.
And if they re-release a castle faction, then of course they can upgrade them, but stay with the faction. No fantasy. Not forestmen fighting with dwarves for example.
Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed Nomini Tuo da gloriam.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/richie_v]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Richie88]Brickshelf[/url]
Legoist
Peasant

Post by Legoist »

I was tempted by voting forestmen, but I think classic would be even better if it included minifigs from the yellow castle era, which are much harder to get than forestmen...

But if instead "to bring back" means to have new sets and new renditions of the minifigs rather than the authentic figs, then I guess forestmen would have more interesting sets.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Wolfpack all the way! They were the most useful all around and one of my favorites!
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Royal Knights, just for the nostalgia.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Honestly I'd take any re-releases of any of these factions. Wolfpack was always cool for me, but even if they were revamped a bit (newer-type torso details) I would sell all my SW figs for a re-introduction of classic factions (Maltese Cross, peach-quarters, the black/green chevrons, Knight's procession guys...)
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Stahlregen
Serf

Post by Stahlregen »

For me, my Castle experience pretty much started with the Forestmen - if I would buy any classic sets, that's where I would start, and if I could bring back any faction, they would be the one.

Aside from the Nostalgia, they also happen to be the most radically original faction.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I think that I would have to agree that any re-release of these factions would be great as long as they're done well. LEGO for the most part has been doing well with the current Fantasy overall theme, so, if they redo the Lion knights next like they did for the Crown knights, I'd be happy. I would be equally happy with redone Forestmen or Islanders or a new faction. Just more good LEGO please! :sly:
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

I would love to see a return of Royal Knights, bul also wouldn't mind see Crusaders and Black Knights returning either.
mystuffiscool
Apprentice

Post by mystuffiscool »

I'd like Forestmen to return, but for any Castle subtheme, it would be really :o cool to see what LEGO can do with elves. :sly:

There's my thought,
Mystuffiscool
----------
My Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoworshipper/[/url]

"Just between you and me, I think 'everything' bagels are making a lot of promises they can't keep."

Okay, so now I'm an Apprentice! To what exactly...?
cheeso194
Serf

Post by cheeso194 »

I voted wolfpack. LEGO needs some thieves.