best set for general castle building?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Smiles
Serf

best set for general castle building?

Post by Smiles »

Well, my birthday draws near, and with it comes birthday money! :D I don't want to use it all on Legos, as there are a few things that come out later this year that I would like to buy. I was wondering which set/s you would suggest is/are the best all around Castle set/s. The categories I'm looking at are: best pieces (easiest to incorporate into a moc, useful for many different things), best minifigs (which ones are the most versatile, look the best), and most fun (funnest to play with, funnest to build, funnest to push down an escalator, etc....). I want to do some serious Castle vignetting this year, so sets that have little things like arches, or headlights, or slopes, or other pieces that can be used for landscaping or monsters would be nice.

I'm already definetely considering the MMV, and I own the King's Castle siege.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D
Smiles!
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Re: best set for general castle building?

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

My favorite set currently available is definitely the dwarves mine. The dwarves are my favorite new faction, and since coming out of my last lego dark age I have really admired all of the amazing landscaping done by many talented builders on this site. So, I have found the need to acquire a fair amount of earth tones. The dwarf mine has an awesome amount of pieces I can use for landscaping(as well as obviously giving me my dwarves). I really dont build any lego set based off of original instructions, but the design of the mine seems to be rather fun if anyone was concerned with its playability. All in all, the mine is certainly a set that I would recommend...
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

At about 100$ a piece, I think KCS and MMV are the best Castle sets out right now. For something less expensive, I like the Dwarves' Mine and Tower Raid sets.
gormadoc1
Artisan

Post by gormadoc1 »

I think you aught to get dwarves mine because it has accesories and good design. Or you should get Tower raid :eyebrows: because its a good alround set with buildings for both the King and the Orcs. Also the tower could be used as an outpost or something in an MOC because of its good design and it looks pretty cool :) . Also I like it because its one of my most favourate sets. If your looking for a small set then get the good wizard (personelly I think its the new version of majisto). And if your looking for a set similar size to the dwarf mie then go for the troll warship :orc: because I think that its pretty good having a big Castle ship and it can be converted. :)

these are just some ideas as you say you dont want to spend all your money. :wink:
There can be no triumph without loss,
no victory without suffering,
no freedom without sacrifice.
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

I have 3 dwarves mines (1 incorperated into KCS and 2 as parts), 2 MMV (1 set up 1 parts) and only 1 lil old KCS. I love the greens and grey bricks with the dwarves mine, I must say it is my favourite set to part out. Hope this helps :)
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Colonel Strider
Serf

Post by Colonel Strider »

Kings castle Siege is the best.
~Strider~
Nickmans
Serf

Post by Nickmans »

Its a little bit offtopic but I dont want to create a new thread for this, what exact color grey are the bricks from the Kings Castle siege? Light grey? There are so many grey colors and I don't want two different colors of it. There is a web shop were I can buy grey bricks seperate.

Thanks in advance.
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

Nickmans wrote:Its a little bit offtopic but I dont want to create a new thread for this, what exact color grey are the bricks from the Kings Castle siege? Light grey? There are so many grey colors and I don't want two different colors of it. There is a web shop were I can buy grey bricks seperate.

Thanks in advance.
Inventory of Set 7094 on BrickLink
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

Nickmans wrote:Its a little bit offtopic but I dont want to create a new thread for this, what exact color grey are the bricks from the Kings Castle siege? Light grey? There are so many grey colors and I don't want two different colors of it. There is a web shop were I can buy grey bricks seperate.

Thanks in advance.
I believe that the bricks in Kings Castle Siege are bluish-gray.

As for where you can buy bricks separate, you can go to Pick-a-brick at Lego.com or bricklink.com. The later is a collection of Lego brick shops similar to Amazon. Due to the fact that I can get any Lego piece in existence there, I prefer to buy individual or selected brick orders from Bricklink.
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Post by Albatross_Viking »

Personally, i think that MMV is a very good buy. it got lots of nice little parts that can be used for vignettes ( and many other things)

A_V
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... ald_fl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhi ... banner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56213339@N07/]FlickR[/url]
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

The MMV is the best. thats the next lego castle set Im going to buy.
KKI is the best KKI is the best
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

If you're not interested in a second (or third!) KCS, buying up several Tower Raids may be the way to go. The Crownie tower is actually pretty small, so you don't get too many bleys out of the set, but the siege tower comes with a decent number of browns (including dark brown). I tend to find myself in more need of brown that grey/bley, but then again, your needs may be different.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Nickmans
Serf

Post by Nickmans »

DraconisTerrena wrote:If you're not interested in a second (or third!) KCS, buying up several Tower Raids may be the way to go.
I already have 6 KCS so I dont need the crap like big rocks and stuffs, all I wanted was the bricks :D And I got it now so thank you for all the reply's :D

Edit: What is MMV?
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

Nickmans wrote:Edit: What is MMV?
Medieval Market Village. It's a $100(USD) exclusive set on Lego.com that, like it's name suggests, is a market village. It has a lot of highly sought after and equally rare pieces.