modern castle? v.s classic castle?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Garbageman13
Reeve

Re: modern castle? v.s classic castle?

Post by Garbageman13 »

Sadly, I own no Classic Castle sets, or minifigures.

I prefer the newer figs and colors in the new sets, as they're more affordable and the detail on the minifigs is better. However, I wouldn't mind owning a classic set or two, especially if it was forestmen or black falcons themed.

I think it all really depends on what you like, and what you liked as a kid.
I'm guessing why everyone loved a particular classic set, was due to the nostalgic joys of playing with it as a kid.

Just my 2 cents and a wooden nickle.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

Garbageman13 wrote:Sadly, I own no Classic Castle sets, or minifigures.

I prefer the newer figs and colors in the new sets, as they're more affordable and the detail on the minifigs is better. However, I wouldn't mind owning a classic set or two, especially if it was forestmen or black falcons themed.

I think it all really depends on what you like, and what you liked as a kid.
I'm guessing why everyone loved a particular classic set, was due to the nostalgic joys of playing with it as a kid.

Just my 2 cents and a wooden nickle.
Wow.

This is exactly what I'm like as well. I too own no classic minifigs or sets, I too like the new sets/figs but would like some classic's and I too think its all down to your opinion.
Tyrant
Villein

Post by Tyrant »

I own a reasonable number of classic sets (right up to Fright Knights), but I also own almost all of the Fantasy line. While I wouldn't mind some type of classic remade set in current colors (even updated design if necessary), overall I prefer the current sets. Having said that, I would like to see older factions brought back and updated. The detail on the current figures is far superior and I would like to see factions like the Black Falcons get updated figures.
Mr. Shiny & New
Peasant

Post by Mr. Shiny & New »

In my opinion the modern Castle line is superior to the Classic line. Building techniques and part selection have come a long way and far more is possible now. I've never really cared one way or another for a particular faction but I feel the modern Crownies have the best minifigs of any Castle line; the artwork on the torsos and shields, etc, is better than anything from before. And I love the orcs as well. I even like their over-sized stone swords (makes me think of the T'lan Imass... now THAT'd be an awesome licensed theme).

Not every set in the last couple years has been awesome, but overall the product line is of stunning quality. If Lego tried to release a set like the simpler castles of the old days they'd look like poor cousins. The Classic sets are awesome only in context, like an old movie. The movie may have been great when it came out but decades later it may not look as good. Consider the special effects of Star Wars: the original trilogy's effects are lame in comparison to what's routine now. And Lego is all about the "technology", in a way. The new Star Wars trilogy suffered from poor acting and extra-poor writing, but visually was amazing. The new Lego are better for building and better for looking at and there isn't a lame George Lucas plot dragging it down.
Mr. Shiny & New's blog: [url=http://eternalephemeron.blogspot.com/]Eternal Ephemeron[/url]
BrianofBrick06
Foot Soldier

Post by BrianofBrick06 »

I will always be a fan of the classic castle lines. The nostalgia associated with armies of black falcons, lion knights, black knights, and more will be hard to ignore. The classic sets remind me of a time when a lot less was carried on my shoulders, of my childhood, of Christmas, and of watching my older cousins play with their far more numberous bricks. The factions of the past had a strange, yet fascinating appeal to their designs. They were somewhat simple, but after only a few moments, a vivid world of fantasy lego swept one under a current of pure imagination. Those days were in fact "the days".
Although, for as much as I love the classic armies, I have arrived out of a recent dark age to find the inspiration to build. With this inspiration comes the desire to try new factions and acquire bricks to build MOCs of a higher quality. Thus, in the near future I will most likely be selling a few classic factions to acquire different lego, and hopefully instill the same hapiness in another afol that a few older factions gave me in the past. All in all, I suppose maybe it is the lego itself, and not the specific faction that determines how lost one may find themselves in their imagination (but classic lego is still awesome :wink: )...
Seanybaby2
Gong Farmer

Post by Seanybaby2 »

I have to admit, I do prefer alot of the old classic castle lego sets :( however some of the new ones arn't to bad. I just wish theyd come out with more sets in general haha
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Seanybaby2 wrote:I just wish theyd come out with more sets in general haha
Now that's something I really don't understand. Sure, it's nice to have as many good Castle sets as possible. But then again there are so many Castle sets that I'm barely able to keep up with them all. For money reasons mostly. I wouldn't know how I should possibly buy even more Castle sets. (In that respect I'm really glad I'm not "forced" to collect Star Wars sets. And I have heard the "hopefully they come up with more sets!" sentiment from Star Wars collectors before.)

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Jojo wrote:Hello!
Seanybaby2 wrote:I just wish theyd come out with more sets in general haha
Now that's something I really don't understand. Sure, it's nice to have as many good Castle sets as possible. But then again there are so many Castle sets that I'm barely able to keep up with them all. For money reasons mostly. I wouldn't know how I should possibly buy even more Castle sets. (In that respect I'm really glad I'm not "forced" to collect Star Wars sets. And I have heard the "hopefully they come up with more sets!" sentiment from Star Wars collectors before.)

Bye
Jojo
I imagine that for some AFOLs disposable income isn't a huge issue. For those fans a larger line simply means more variety. Of course, for the majority of us who live on a limited budget this is something of an issue. Personally I've always loved LEGO's approach of a busy year or two followed by a smaller second or third year which allows fans to catch up on releases from the previous year. Also, not everyone is a completist. For those collectors, a larger line of sets allows them to pick and choose their favourites more easily (of course, this probably isn't great for LEGO's bottom line).

As for Star Wars collectors; I have no idea how they keep up.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I could not keep up with the SW line, especially for completeness. Of course I am not partial to SW Lego so it is not an issue to me. I agree with B & W, it is nice that TLC gives us slower years sometimes. I just wish they would have released some smaller sets this year as the four sets are on average fairly pricey with 0 below 20 dollars. I guess we can hope 2010 will have a wider price point scale.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

i belive that classics were better in my opinion because the bricks and minifigs were all so basic nothing to fancy like now they are using stickers instead of painted more often and they have peach colored lego figs... :mad: but what do you all think about the transitioin from classics to fantasy era? is it better in bricks/pieces or not?
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
Jeema
Gong Farmer

Post by Jeema »

One thing I liked about the 80s sets which I think is missing in the modern ones is that it wasn't completely obvious who was the good guys and who was the bad guys and who was on which side. seems like the forestmen and lion knights didn't like each other. black falcons and lion knights, same story. the black knights and black falcons seem to have a weird love/hate relationship though, judging by the box art... maybe they can't stand the fact that there's another 'black' faction and yet feel strangely drawn to one another for the same reason. :)
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Jeema,

Very true. I think in greater part to me it is because Lego has clear sets of faction loyalties with the skellies and trolls and the crownies and dwarves. They have four factions but in reality there are just two. During the classic 80s you had black falcon, black knights, lion knights and forestment all running at the same time with no clear set of alliances ( almost never allied black falcon with black knights for example). This allowed more freedom for the builder to decide how things would go. That said it is easy enough to just ignore the current lego lines set up and do your own thing. I keep hoping for a new neutral or bad human faction :D

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

What I like about all the classic Lego sets(I never got to play around much with the castle, other than seeing them built at my buddy's place) is that they were simple, and built with pretty much regular bricks. You could pretty much recreate any classic set if you had enough brick. And what you couldn't recreate with standard brick found in every set, you could fake well enough that nobody was the wiser(assuming you had the right colors). Also, each set you got came chalked full of standard brick pieces that could be used for pretty much any theme.

Now what made classic sets great is also what made them limiting, and what I see TLG trying to alleviate by introducing specialized pieces. The modern sets are also great because they off us a greater pallet of pieces to work with and bring our imaginations to life. My only complaint with this larger piece selection is that they would go back and restandardize the pieces so that the specialty pieces could more readily be integrated with existing pieces.