Dwarf Battle Pack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
puddleglum
Artisan

Re: Dwarf Battle Pack

Post by puddleglum »

Formendacil wrote:
Azaghal wrote: and secondly . . . the packaging says, "Dwarfs". :orc:
I shall have to hope that is you being humorous. It is, after all, the proper English plural for "dwarf."

*Aside, to anyone else who doesn't realise that Tolkien made up "Dwarves" as the plural of "Dwarf"--a category which may or may not include Azaghal: Tolkien did, in fact, make up the plural "Dwarves"--though he later regretted he didn't make it "Dwarrows." Lego's decision to call their Dwarfs "Dwarfs" is perfectly in line with their decision to make their orks "trolls"--this isn't Middle-earth.
[/end rant]
That's all well and good, but they did already make two sets called "Dwarves' Mine" and "Dwarves' Mine Defender". :wink:

EDIT: Also, I found this . . .

http://castle.lego.com/en-us/Characters ... arves.aspx
:wink:
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Formendacil wrote:
Azaghal wrote: and secondly . . . the packaging says, "Dwarfs". :orc:
I shall have to hope that is you being humorous. It is, after all, the proper English plural for "dwarf."[/end rant]
Mostly. :wink: I do realize that it's not really improper to use "Dwarfs" in a non-specifically-Tolkien context, but I find that I prefer "Dwarves", to the point that to me, "Dwarfs" just looks wrong. My grumbling about it, though, is (again, mostly) just meant to be taken in fun.
Karrde
Bailiff

Post by Karrde »

I am disappointed that neither of the new battlepacks are available on the UK shop@home yet :mad: I hope they will be soon.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Thanks for the enlightment in the dwarfs/dwarves matter. I really appreciate such linguistic subtleties, and I did not know that.
Karrde wrote:I am disappointed that neither of the new battlepacks are available on the UK shop@home yet :mad: I hope they will be soon.
They aren’t available at German S@H, either. They are, however, available at German Brand Stores, so I guess at UKian Brand Stores as well. And there still is hope left for their appearance at S@H.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

architect wrote:There is a labor factor to have each figure assembled and placed into the blister pack. If the fig piece were bagged and/or boxed, the Battle Pack sets likely would cost less. Of course they wouldn't look as cool as the LEGO Brand Stores.

Edit: If it has not been mentioned, the packs are now available on US Shop at Home:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=473&d=70
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=852702

Ben
I disagree on the "cool factor" because back in the day, we HAD BATTLE PACKS only they weren't called such. Hello? Does anyone remember the boxes of 5-6 minifigures throughout the 80s and 90s?? This was how I stocked up on space men troops and pirates and occasional castle figs. And guess what, a box in the mid-90s cost $6.50...SIX-FIFTY! Inflation has not increased that much but I argue the "cool factor" has technically gone DOWN. First, there is no more assembly joy factor. Second, the box art for the old minifig boxes was AWESOME! They were always stylishly posed and aesthetically engaging. I miss both the boxes AND the price. And for that reason, I still haven't managed to purchase a "battle pack" in stores, always passing for more bang for my buck purchases.
:snore:
For the King's Castle!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Sir Prog wrote:
I disagree on the "cool factor" because back in the day, we HAD BATTLE PACKS only they weren't called such. Hello? Does anyone remember the boxes of 5-6 minifigures throughout the 80s and 90s?? This was how I stocked up on space men troops and pirates and occasional castle figs. And guess what, a box in the mid-90s cost $6.50...SIX-FIFTY! Inflation has not increased that much but I argue the "cool factor" has technically gone DOWN. First, there is no more assembly joy factor. Second, the box art for the old minifig boxes was AWESOME! They were always stylishly posed and aesthetically engaging. I miss both the boxes AND the price. And for that reason, I still haven't managed to purchase a "battle pack" in stores, always passing for more bang for my buck purchases.
I respectfully disagree about visible figures and parts in packaging not being cool. Many people enjoyed the flip top lids and plastic tray inserts of the 1980's and early 1990's. These were all packaged by hand which drove up costs of mid and large range sets.

Take 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress for example: http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6077.html This set had a price per piece ratio of 10.7 cents. This is exactly the same price per piece ratio currently found in the 7946 King's Castle http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=640&d=70

Standard LEGO sets are more affordable today because the quality of packaging is not as high (and some part quality is not as high). The exception to this rule are sets like the dwarf battle packs that require more human labor for packaging.

I do agree with you that boxed or polybag versions of battle packs would be ideal. On the other hand you can purchase two battle packs, wait for them to be discontinued, and then sell one to pay for both.

Ben
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

architect wrote:
Sir Prog wrote:
I respectfully disagree about visible figures and parts in packaging not being cool. Many people enjoyed the flip top lids and plastic tray inserts of the 1980's and early 1990's. These were all packaged by hand which drove up costs of mid and large range sets.

Take 6077 Forestmen's River Fortress for example: http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/6077.html This set had a price per piece ratio of 10.7 cents. This is exactly the same price per piece ratio currently found in the 7946 King's Castle http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=640&d=70

Standard LEGO sets are more affordable today because the quality of packaging is not as high (and some part quality is not as high). The exception to this rule are sets like the dwarf battle packs that require more human labor for packaging.

I do agree with you that boxed or polybag versions of battle packs would be ideal. On the other hand you can purchase two battle packs, wait for them to be discontinued, and then sell one to pay for both.

Ben

Counterpoint taken and well made. Thank you for the set comparisons, as I sometimes rush through the inflation math in my head. :spin:

And I've gotta say, that's quite the strategy in terms of buying two and selling one to make up for their labor/profit loss. However, I'm not a huge seller online and would never make up the difference...I'm sure I would get greedy and keep the extra set myself. :P
For the King's Castle!