Low quality figs in non-regular sets.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jojo
Master

Low quality figs in non-regular sets.

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I’m displeased to announce I noticed something. I’m sorry if it has been discussed before. Anyway. It applies to other sets as well, but I first noticed it with the Giant Castle Chess set, and now I noticed it again with the Orcs’ and Dwarves’ Battle packs. The figs are assumingly made of cheaper material, and the print isn’t as high quality as with figs from regular sets:

Image Image Image
The left fig is the regular one, the right fig is the non-regular one. As you can see the gold and silver print is just ochre and grey. Funnily the sandgreen is better on the non-regular fig.
You may notice that the arms of the non-regular figs have some indented square on the inside that arms from regular figs don’t have. Strong sign for a different production run with different moulds.

With "non-regular" sets I mean: Sets that don’t have a standard set-number (4-digit for regular retail or 5-digit for S@H exclusives), but are somewhat ”out of the line“, like chess sets, magnets and battle packs, but other gear stuff as well. I also noticed a severe quality issue with the red Classic Space figure that comes with the current Classic Space Memorial Shoulder Bag, also a 6-digit 85xxxx number. The spaceman is noticeably almost translucent, because the material is bad quality. I also noticed it with some Star Wars figures that I assume were picked of magnets rather than from original Star Wars sets. But I don’t own many recent SW sets, so I can’t claim that’s really the fact.

Anyway. I’m willing to accept the different quality in the prints as welcome variety. It might become a quality issue, though, if the cheaper figs should ever get tears, cracks or the like.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
Karrde
Bailiff

Re: Low quality figs in non-regular sets.

Post by Karrde »

That is lame, on a completely separate note, I couldn't have a link to the shoulder bag could I? I can't seem to locate it. Bad TLG, bad TLG :mad:
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I had noticed the print difference but not really much else regarding material. In fact my chess set men seem much sturdier than the standard gents as far as the arm, wrist and leg movement. I wonder if it is not QC issues again...

I did not see the arm cut out on mine but alas they are on the slow boat to the USA now.... no lego for weeks :cry:

As far as the print goes I do not mind as I want more variation....

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Karrde wrote:That is lame, on a completely separate note, I couldn't have a link to the shoulder bag could I? I can't seem to locate it. Bad TLG, bad TLG :mad:
It's not available here- switch to US and you'll see it under bags. Import-a-go-go! :wink:

Excellent detective work Jojo, I can't say that i've ever noticed that before!
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

RichardAM wrote:Excellent detective work Jojo, I can't say that i've ever noticed that before!
I second this statement. I never noticed any difference either...
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

Is it just the angle, or is the minifig on the right taller than the one on the left?
-May your winds be fair !
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Perhaps these items are of differing qualities because they're actually manufactured in China, not Denmark? That would explain the need for a different mold for the arms (you may be surprised how much weight/plastic/money is saved by something that small), slightly different colours on the paint stamper etc.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
outcast
Apprentice

Post by outcast »

I noticed this with my orcs too, but didn't mention it because I thought it was just an age thing. Some of my orcs have a different coloured printing and, most noticeable, a darker coloured helmet.
For Empire is no more, and now the Lion & Wolf shall cease.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Outcast,

I sort of figure it is more of a color issue than really poor material but I can only say that from those I have. The plastic looks and feels just like it should. The only real issue I have is like you and others have said the color is not the standard one. Once I get home I will pull them out and look more closely. Regardless if people really are unhappy TLC should be made aware of it.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:Perhaps these items are of differing qualities because they're actually manufactured in China, not Denmark? That would explain the need for a different mold for the arms (you may be surprised how much weight/plastic/money is saved by something that small), slightly different colours on the paint stamper etc.
I think you are correct. Many sets and pieces requiring hand assembly (ie: cows, tauntauns, battle packs, chess sets) could be produced in China. I understand that the labor costs to assemble and package display pieces for sets is high in Europe.

It is a shame that lesser quality items like some of these figures are being sold. With today's printing technology you would think they could easily match the torso designs. Translucent plastic really should be resolved by now. Either add the proper coloring to the molding process or return to premixed color batches of abs prior to molding. TLG needs to invest in better quality control review in their outsourced production facilities.

Ben
maniac29
Peasant

Post by maniac29 »

Wow! :mad: This may cause me not to buy the battlepacks. Thank's for pointing that out.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

maniac29 wrote:This may cause me not to buy the battlepacks. Thank's for pointing that out.
:D Thanks! This thread just saved me over 60$ USD.
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

Are there ay pictures of the Dwarves Battle pack with a comparison?
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Merlin of Lego wrote:Are there ay pictures of the Dwarves Battle pack with a comparison?
I would think that the dwarf battle packs are less of an issue since their beards cover most of the torsos anyway.

Ben
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

architect wrote:
Merlin of Lego wrote:Are there ay pictures of the Dwarves Battle pack with a comparison?
I would think that the dwarf battle packs are less of an issue since their beards cover most of the torsos anyway.

Ben
Unless at some point you want to use the torso for something else...