Low quality figs in non-regular sets.

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Re: Low quality figs in non-regular sets.

Post by architect »

This quality issue has been forwarded to the appropriate people inside the LEGO Group. It may take a while for us to get a response, but the Ambassadors will let you know when we have an answer.

Ben Ellermann

Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Thank you for the update on the Pirates T-T-T set! I was about to buy it but will now hold off. Could anyone post a side-by-side picture of a T-T-T soldier next to a standard soldier? I do not want discolored, misprinted or easily broken figures in my collection.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

architect wrote:This quality issue has been forwarded to the appropriate people inside the LEGO Group. It may take a while for us to get a response, but the Ambassadors will let you know when we have an answer.

Ben Ellermann
Thanks for the update Ben!
Kev wrote:Thank you for the update on the Pirates T-T-T set! I was about to buy it but will now hold off. Could anyone post a side-by-side picture of a T-T-T soldier next to a standard soldier? I do not want discolored, misprinted or easily broken figures in my collection.
I'll try to take some images (akin to the Royal Guard pics) later today or tomorrow for ya.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

I posted these pics on Classic-Pirates but looks like some of you would like to see these. I got my TTT sets from Lego S@H and i'm comparing a Soldier torso from the TTT set with one from the SA (Soldier's Arsenal) set. The TTT' parts are on the left and the SA parts are on the right in the pictures

One can see that the while the torsos are facing the same direction the LEGO opposite

No print or paint on the neck on the TTT torso and the color o the TTT is like a jolly rancher..almost pink no red

Here you can see the lemon colored hand and see through candy like red plastic in the TTT part compared with the dark, opaque part from the SA set. Also notice the printing on the TTT part.

The legs are of different material or makeup as well. The SA legs are that glossy hard ABS that we are used to where the TTT legs are matte, milky and don't have that shiny look. I will look into the pirate torsos. Now Brick Beards legs are the same as the Brick Beard from the Soldiers Fort and Bounty Sets. I'm wondering if because of the peg leg he came from a different factory or is made in Europe not China. Wunztwice, let me know what your brick beard is like and I'm curious to see your pics too.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I should have some time tomorrow to take some quick shots. I'll get them up when I can!
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Draykov
Serf

Post by Draykov »

Solo of FBTB wrote:
via the Ambassadors forum el Stevo wrote:I've spoken with the head of the quality department, and he's let me know that they're aware of the issues and 'cracking down on it'. The extended line (keychains, magnets, games (but not LGS), etc.) is in a different supply chain and therefore not our regular production facilities. the people in this group and now being watched like hawks to get the issue fixed. The current state of these products are hopefully just an abberation that will be fixed soon.

steve [Steve Witt]
Lord Lego 436
Laborer

Post by Lord Lego 436 »

Ye Olde Republic wrote:Perhaps these items are of differing qualities because they're actually manufactured in China, not Denmark?
Oh, the horror! :twitch:

I've noticed a couple discrepancies like this lately. Pieces coming in bent, missing. I'm afraid that TLC may start producing in China, if they already aren't.
"Humans build atomic bombs, but no mouse in the world would be stupid enough to design a mousetrap."
- Albert Einstien

My MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/16960
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Lord Lego 436 wrote: I'm afraid that TLC may start producing in China, if they already aren't.
Already being done, AND, is known to be the cause of the above problems.

DaveE
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

This is disappointing; previously I'd always admired Lego's staunch standards of quality - after all these years, the durability that the 80s parts still have is incredible. I really hope this current issue is sorted out promptly.
bjorg
Serf

Post by bjorg »

I have to agree with Sir Kohran. All the 80's parts that I have are still in a really nice condition. And believe me, I made them suffer sometimes... When I was a kid, I used to take my army on campaign in my houses backyard... Still, they are as good as new! :o :)
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

bjorg wrote:I have to agree with Sir Kohran. All the 80's parts that I have are still in a really nice condition. And believe me, I made them suffer sometimes... When I was a kid, I used to take my army on campaign in my houses backyard... Still, they are as good as new! :o :)
I won't be this categoric, some parts have been known as weak historically, and in the 80's too, but they saw their mold redesigned (classic helmet, 1x1 plate with grip, classic door, hinged plates/accessories, many Technic parts... ) or material change (soft weapons). I remember my crusader's oarsmen, with flag-based sail, I didn't have to manipulate them much to break their clips.
But one thing is sure, they seemed to just try to challenge MB with such poor quality production, while prices kept as high as if there still were the TLC quality we are used to get.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I won't be this categoric, some parts have been known as weak historically, and in the 80's too, but they saw their mold redesigned (classic helmet, 1x1 plate with grip, classic door, hinged plates/accessories, many Technic parts... ) or material change (soft weapons). I remember my crusader's oarsmen, with flag-based sail, I didn't have to manipulate them much to break their clips.
It's true that there's always been some parts that break a bit too easily. However I think that's more down to their designs not being very good/strong in the first place, rather than being made of low quality material like the parts mentioned in this thread. The former is understandable as the minifig side of Lego was still new and more prone to mistakes back then, but the latter is just not acceptable.
Lord Lego 436
Laborer

Post by Lord Lego 436 »

davee123 wrote:
Lord Lego 436 wrote: I'm afraid that TLC may start producing in China, if they already aren't.
Already being done, AND, is known to be the cause of the above problems.

DaveE
WHAT???
I thought that the 'Made in China' part on the box was only the instructions and box!
I fear that in LEGO's search to make more money, they may abandon all of their "sacred" core values. LEGO movies! :(
I don't really mind the arm part, but the hand discoloration and the body discoloration is simply shocking!
"Humans build atomic bombs, but no mouse in the world would be stupid enough to design a mousetrap."
- Albert Einstien

My MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/16960
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

Jeez, even the battle-packs aren't safe. I can understand the magnets being slightly lower quality, since they aren't designed to be played with. But everything else needs to be the same high quality. Lego already makes plenty of money off of the regular quality pieces, they don't need to cut corners. :orc:
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Lord Lego 436 wrote:I thought that the 'Made in China' part on the box was only the instructions and box!
Nope. According to one LEGO employee I talked to, some sets (I think he used the "vintage minifig packs" as an example) are made almost entirely or entirely in China. I asked for a clearer definition (I forget the exact phrasing he used, but it wasn't clear), but he didn't know all the particulars. Anyway, the molding has been confirmed independently to being done in China.
Lord Lego 436 wrote:I fear that in LEGO's search to make more money, they may abandon all of their "sacred" core values.
Just to be very clear here-- it wasn't really in their search to "make more money". It as their search to "not go bankrupt". Effectively, LEGO had a choice: They could maintain their level of quality and effectively go out of business. Basically close shop entirely or reduce their size TREMENDOUSLY and only market to, say, Germany, where people will pay for high-quality toys, unlike the USA. OR, they could sacrifice some quality and remain in business.

Effectively, LEGO was doing a lot of things (as a business) that were done in, say, the 1970's or something. They weren't running their business like other modern toy companies, and it caught up to them in the late 1990's and early 2000's. They restructured a LOT starting in 2006 or so, and now, they've come around and are being very profitable in an industry fraught with troubles.

In my opinion, there's a balance between "profit" and "quality". They intended to tip the scale in order to restore the balance, and (IMHO) overshot and wound up with too little quality and more profit than necessary. I'm all for the profit, mind you-- I want LEGO to be successful-- but I'm disappointed in the quality.

I'm reminded of descriptions of the release of the 2007 King's Castle Siege. The elements were molded in a new way, and many of the gray elements came out sort of milky-translucent. Now, LEGO realized this before the sets were going to be sold, and they had a choice: either sell the poor quality bricks, or delay the line for however many months, causing delays and backlogs everywhere, but NOT release low quality product. They chose the former, because it wasn't all THAT bad in their minds. But it's a far cry from the classic parable of Ole Kirk forcing his son Godtfred to re-paint all the toys in a shipment because Godtfred had tried to save them money with only 2 coats of paint rather than 3. For years that's been the shining example of the company's moral in action of "Only the Best Is Good Enough".

I hope they can keep the quality levels up, but until someone decides to be a jerk about it, and prove that quality really DOES take some precedence, we'll likely keep seeing quality issues.

DaveE