Weekly Set Review: Dungeon Hunters

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Like this, Nick. :wink:

{Ahem}... This set, was for a long time, my biggest castle set, and I really like it. It also is the only set I have with a Forestman in it. Speaking of which,
Sir Garth wrote:It could've used a forestmen shield and sword somewhere hidden in the cart to give the poor forest dude a chance.
I always assumed that the bow on the back was his, confinscated when they nabbed him. :)
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

An old thread awoken again!

This set would sell like hot cakes today! Wow, this set rocks! A knight, a soldier, a horse and a prisoner! This beats the battle wagon to shreds!

Graynar (slightly hyper)
mister_e
Villein

Post by mister_e »

I had this set as a child and loved it. Of course, I loved pretty much EVERY castle set back then, but that's not the point. I remember switching the position of the horses, having the knight on the white horse with the black horse pulling the cart, because I thought that the fully armored Lion/Crusader knight looked too "evil" on a black horse and I always imagined the Crusaders as the good guys. Heheh. Silly child I was. Looking at this set as an adult, I agree that it probably needs another horse and at least one or two foot soldiers. But that would have drove the price up and I think this was intended to be one of the smaller/cheaper sets. I won't assign it a numerical score because I, admittedly, cannot judge these old sets without bias.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

The timing on this is great! I just bought this set with the Prisoner Convoy to aid my Lions in their crusade against those pesky forestmen.

I haven't gotten it yet, but here's why I bought it:

This set has 3 figs and a few horses, a real bargin for a small set (well, not off e-bay, but anyway) - and it's really got that robin hood vs. the sheriff feel to it - with the soldiers searching out and capturing the thieves (if they can).

I like the idea of it - it's kind of unique - even now, there is only one other set (I'm aware of) that is like it - the Traitor Transport from the Fright Knights... and this is much cooler.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

There's also the brand-new 8874 Battle Wagon... interesting how it seems to be the "bad" guys getting these now -Crusaders excepted of course. 8)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Azaghal wrote: interesting how it seems to be the "bad" guys getting these now -Crusaders excepted of course. 8)
Nice save. ;-)

I forgot about the new set, and your right, it is the bad guys with these - the bulls have something like this in "bulls attack" too. I wonder if TLC considered Lions to be bad compared to the forestmen? Silly LEGO company. :-)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

ottoatm wrote:I wonder if TLC considered Lions to be bad compared to the forestmen?
The Lions are the power (of government). That doesn't mean they are bad. But every government oppresses some parts of their subjects (or so these subjects feel so), if only by taxes. So rebels - and that's what the forestmen are - usually are supported by the sympathy of subjects to the government.

Bye
Jojo
 This is just the sort of nonsense up with which I will not put.
Winston Churchill
jamtf
Freeman

Post by jamtf »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

ottoatm wrote:I wonder if TLC considered Lions to be bad compared to the forestmen?
The Lions are the power (of government). That doesn't mean they are bad. But every government oppresses some parts of their subjects (or so these subjects feel so), if only by taxes. So rebels - and that's what the forestmen are - usually are supported by the sympathy of subjects to the government.

Bye
Jojo
Check out the 260 building book from 1990. The lion knights and the black falcons actually linked up as it seems they are sharing a castle (a shield of each faction is attached to the front gate). Also, some of the the black falcons legions are equipped with the red-yellow and blue black knights / black monarch dragon shields. A bit confusing if you ask me.

The forestmen are the hunted faction and they are supposed to be the outlaws and rebels. They are taken prisoner as in Dungeon Hunters set. On page 31, a bunch of forestmen have taken a crusader knight as their prisoner. The wolfpack are obviously bad guys and they are in my opinion the successors of the forestmen.

Perhaps it is like this:
Black Falcons / Crusaders against forestmen
Black Knights against Wolfpack

The Black Knights could therefore be the "new" Black Falcons.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

This looks like a sweet set. I like that it includes minifigs from 2 factions, some horses and 1 Euro armor. I'd love to get it, sadly all of my money is devoted to construction of my castle :( . Oh well, I'll get it someday.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
wakproductions
Gong Farmer

Post by wakproductions »

This set had a production error in some of the sets. The piece at the very top of the door that holds the cage bars in place did not have holes at in the bottom, and therefore could not be attached. I did not have the correct piece to substitute and therefore had to leave the door without those two top pieces. The door was rather weakly held in place and it was really easy for the Forestmen guy to bust the door off and make a run for it.
--
Winston Kotzan
Ristridin
Bailiff

Post by Ristridin »

This set is realy good, 2 horses, euro armor, 3 nice minifis, etc. I have bought thes set last month, and I am realy happy with it.

9/10
mscannell
Serf

Post by mscannell »

This was my first castle set, I was mostly space before this. This set made me wish I had collected more castle sets earlier. This is one of those few sets I wouldn't try to make bigger or modify unlike the castles. It was perfect.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

I would have loved this set when it came out. Now most places it costs too much to worry about it. More swords and shields (or at least one of each) would not have been remise, but oh well. Overall, perdy solid set, decent playability and all.
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

This set is lovely, It has nice figs and in my opinion one of the greatest wagons of all time.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think this was a good set, especially for its price. I have to admit most of the time a BK was in the back not a forestman. It fits a fair number of men in it as well so lots of fun after a battle.

Wlister,

I felt one more horse would have been good but this did not bother me toooooo much. Perhaps this one was much stronger than the four other horses? Since a horse can easily pull 4 times its weight not a huge issue to me.

Jojo,

Lack of men is something in many lego sets. Beside the knight does not have to outrun the forestman thats why he has a horse and few humans I know of can do that.

R