Lego Kingdoms at 2010 Toy Fair

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Papy.G
Laborer

Re: Lego Kingdoms at 2010 Toy Fair

Post by Papy.G »

First, I'll have to point what is bad according to me:
Chrome gold and silver painted weapons and helmets doesn't do for a long-lasting use.
Bullet Helmets don't seem to be back (so why would there have been bows?).
Modularity of the main castle is based on pegs only, not hinges.
Little sets won't have modular abilities, since no connection pegs/holes show off on pics.
No civilians, and not enough women too.
No stairs to the throne room.
Portcullis is too close to the front gatehouse wall for people to be able to walk between them.
I doubt that "wooden" inverted slopes will be strong enough to support crenelation.
Crenelation height hasn't been put up by 1M, although the gap has been kept to 2M wide.
What the heck is that ugh... green baby Dragon? Where are the owl, eagle or so?

Eventually, I'll point out what is good:
The throne tower is less airy, far more consistent that what could have been seen on 6090.
The peg modularity of the modules provide us with not only pegs at the base, but on top too.
Weapons will come in various coulours.
Buildings are plate based.
Only human factions (for the first to come, but, if based on the previous "Castle" line, we expect four, we could see some more, such as human, elvish, zombie or whatever.)
Portcullis is better than the previous "barbecue grill" we had to get for too long now, better fit for those who preffered plate-based ones. In fact, first time I saw pics of the set, I assumed it was built over assembled prison "windows". (planning to do that for a little door portcullis in a next MOC).
The drawbridge mechanism is tending to be (or trying, at least) more realistic, it's not perfect, but a good way on since the KCS.
Grays are well mixed in the buildings.

To finish, I plan to buy at least one of each, plus, some of the littles to save MISB and pull them out as a trade counterpart some years later (as I did with "castle" wizard and soldier).
I anticipate that the two soldiers with catapult and prison transport will be among the preferred little set here for parts and/or army builder, they will be nice starters to get kids into castle. Some had heart attack seeing the dark gray or dark green soft sword and assuming at first glance it was black.
When built, my octagonal tower will probably see their quarter-octagon bricks get over to the outside, instead of leaving this space (little cliffs) on the sides.

Thank you all ambassadors for spreading our words and thoughs to Lego. I think you had a main role in such a return to basics in medieval line and this shouldn't be forgotten nor minored.
Thanks to lego to have this done, in the end, you won't regret it.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

I must say, I am really looking forward to the release of these sets. All of them look just awesome! The green color schemes has got to be the best aspect of this, even though the red guys seem to have the more prominent stuff, i.e. the Castle.

Some thoughts:

Dark green plumes....... droooooool
Not really fond of the horse head things, but nice to have some more variety.
The great helms are nice, but I prefer Euro visors anyday.
Dark Green color scheme. Mmmmmm....
No peasants... sigh
The new gate peice looks a little Megablocky to me.
Did I mention there is dark green?

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Let's remember that these are just the initial sets in this line. We might get peasants and more women later.
BlackenedPurple
Peasant

Post by BlackenedPurple »

I feel like the new green army + unicorn horse armor + this shield could result in an awesome custom faction
Childhood: The flame that burns its brightest when we are least cognisant of it.
wallgorn
Freeman

Post by wallgorn »

King's Castle looks great from the back. Much like 6080. Might need to buy 6080 someday to compare to 7946. I'm excited that the king has a breastplate piece. The second minifigure series looks interesting with a vampire and either Roman or Greek soldier.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

davidant32 wrote:I feel like the new green army + unicorn horse armor + this shield could result in an awesome custom faction
Well played Sir... well played.

Sir Kenits was a pretty cool minifigure in his own right and I was thinking of adding some of the new generic looking dark green guys to his army. The horse barding with the unicorn horns is just awesomesauce poured on top! The shield is one of my favorites of all time!
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

Look on the Brickset web site to see a link to the german Toy fair, they have a lot better pictures of the castle.
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Hi, Blue and White already linked to the original site that posted the German toyfair pics about ten posts up in this thread. Those are the pics we're currently discussing because they show the rear of the castle etc.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Nicker
Peasant

Post by Nicker »

I think the Kings Castle looks pretty good for the most part. The fact that it actually has a proper gatehouse is a relief! Both large castle sets have proper gatehouses this time around. Some of the smaller sets like the prison cart seem to be a bit on the lean side. I am looking forward to finally getting back to the human vs human factions. I think I will probably end up getting every set when they come out. Time to start saving! :D
Classic castle fan to the core!
My Blog http://nicksbricks.blogspot.com/

My collection http://www.brickset.com/search/?owned=1
The Wolfpack Boss
Freeman

Post by The Wolfpack Boss »

I guess I'll chime in a little late, but certainly excited.

There's a ton to like. I love the use of red roofs. I love the red 1x2 half-pyramid slopes on top of the battlements (I did something extremely similar to that on one of my Pirate MOCs, only a white fortress with pointed gold tips). Those elements alone guarantee I'll be nabbing this castle, but there's tons more to like. Everything is solid (from torsos to weapon use to shields to horse armor to choices for wall pieces) and I'd like one of each.

In the overall theme? I love the return of two "rival factions" of Knights. I still love the Fantasy era and I still hope someday, somehow we get those Elves, but these Lions vs. Dragons hearken back to Lions vs. Black Falcons quite nicely. The new style helmets? Well, they just seal the deal. I cannot wait to get some and start customizing. (I tend to combine all my various "Lion Knights" into one mega-faction of Royal Crusaders).

Finally, I dig the dark green wizard and the new colored jester. I haven't even gotten the old jester yet! I've GOT to catch up on those later, amazing Castle '08/'09 sets like the drawbridge and market village.
Harbourmaster's Office
[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4033675 ... 8cb1_t.jpg[/img]
(More at Flickr: [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/8273684@N02/4033675910/[/url])
Phatmiata
Serf

Post by Phatmiata »

DO WANT!! :shock:
bengun
Gong Farmer

Post by bengun »

I have to say that I am not impressed with the new great helm. It just has one big eye slit instead of having two and that just ruins it for me. The brickforge ones look sooo much better. I will say that I really like the rest of it. The coat of arms and the overall color theme for the new knights looks really good. I like the prison tower and I also really like the new castle. This looks like it is going to be a great series. Not quite as good as the Fantasy Era sets due to the great helm but, pretty good. :)
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

I'm tentatively intrigued. I like some of the new pieces, but the overall appearance of the main theme doesn't look that great. I don't really care for the red and white look. The dark green dragon-based faction looks pretty neat, though. Overall, I'd like to see how the finished products look, but it looks decent.
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
maniac29
Peasant

Post by maniac29 »

Some new pics of the advent calender have surfaced, but they have the confidential mark, so can they be posted?

I love the new theme. It is almost everything I dreamed of except bows and horses. :mad:

Well, hopefully they will throw some surprises. The advent calender backround showed a village, so maybe it is a sign of things to come. I hope so anyway. :)
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

As I understand things, confidential photos that haven't been released for public viewing (i.e. at a toy show) shouldn't be discussed. The photos posted in this thread come from two separate toy shows as opposed to confidential dealer catalogues or other sources that are likely covered by non-disclosure agreements.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]