The rarest pieces

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
eilonwy77
Archer

Re: The rarest pieces

Post by eilonwy77 »

Thanks for that link, Forestboy. I know that when I saw that listing I checked things out on bricklink, and couldn't find anything to indicate that such a fig could be so valuable. But then I wondered if there was something I didn't know. I guess not. :-)
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Jojo wrote:Hehe, I remember that. The minimum amount wasn't even that exorbitant high, I think it was only $3 while the red ghost was $0.1. I got several e-mails from potential buyers who asked me to kindly lower that minimum so that they were able to buy the piece. Not one of them asked me to raise the price of the red ghost. ;-) (Obviously it wasn't worth even $3 to them. There you have it!)
Bye
Jojo
Oh, that's right! It was the only item in your store at the time, right? I remember you set it up so that it couldn't actually be purchased. :D

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
troll
Laborer

Post by troll »

the older the rarer, almost ;) and if a minifig or part is in an expensive set, its more rare.. simple enought.
Look! it's a troll, it's a funny troll! ---> :orc:

"When nothing goes right, go left"
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

troll wrote:the older the rarer, almost ;) and if a minifig or part is in an expensive set, its more rare.. simple enought.
Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. There are plenty of very old parts that aren't rare, aren't valuable, and aren't desired by very many people at all.

Also there is a trend for pieces that are only in expensive sets to be more rare, but that isn't always the case. For instance, there are pieces that came only in the first Hogwart's castle that aren't as rare or valuable as parts that came in smaller, cheaper limited run sets.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
troll
Laborer

Post by troll »

troll wrote:
the older the rarer, almost and if a minifig or part is in an expensive set, its more rare.. simple enought.

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. There are plenty of very old parts that aren't rare, aren't valuable, and aren't desired by very many people at all.

Also there is a trend for pieces that are only in expensive sets to be more rare, but that isn't always the case. For instance, there are pieces that came only in the first Hogwart's castle that aren't as rare or valuable as parts that came in smaller, cheaper limited run sets.

Josh
okay, I see, sorry.
Look! it's a troll, it's a funny troll! ---> :orc:

"When nothing goes right, go left"
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I remember buying black wizard's beards a few years ago for some dwarf minifigs (before the official LEGO ones) and paying a modest premium for them. I bought them not so much for the rarity but I was looking to have dwarves with beards other than the white and gray. I'm more glad that they finally came out in black so that if I need more then the buying price may be lower than before.

I could care less if something is rare; I'm more concerned how it fits into my LEGOverse. I had bought some of the Yoda/Count Dooku sets on sale at Wal-Mart a few years back. Now those figures are worth a lot now and I could definately make some money on them but I'd rather use them in my MOCs, which is why I bought them in the first place. I don't consider my LEGO an investment tool to make money.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

I might give an arm (or at least a finger) for a bunch of cauldrons and white star wands but neither seem particularly rare.
rare pieces might be the gold weapons/armour from jhonny thunder.
there's probably more i just can't think of them right now.
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
veevers24
Newbie of the Month

Post by veevers24 »

Isn't the black sword that came with the armor shop quite rare
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

Isn't the black sword that came with the armor shop quite rare
Rare is a word for it. Expensive is another.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!