Weekly Set Review: Black Monarch's Castle

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

There's so much to say about this set, but I can pretty much sum it up like this... wow. The figs and the horses are excellent, and the simple but attractive design of the castle make it one of the all time greatest LEGO sets.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

No other castle compares to this one. I remember the day I got it. It had barding for two horses, an army of figs and one of the best castle designs to date. I still love to build it.

I'm not one of those people who loved the "glory days" of classic castle. I think the new additions are equally deserving. But at the same time, I think this castle is timeless.
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

I got this set for my 12th birthday in 1989. It was my very first Castle set and is what initially sparked my interest in Castle Legos. I just rebuilt it about a month ago after getting my Legos back from my parent's house. Can't say enough good things about this set. Looks even better if you put some extra plants and trees around the periphery of the castle.

11/10

Chris
Daria
Villein

Post by Daria »

Jibbajaba wrote:I got this set for my 12th birthday in 1989. It was my very first Castle set and is what initially sparked my interest in Castle Legos. I just rebuilt it about a month ago after getting my Legos back from my parent's house. Can't say enough good things about this set. Looks even better if you put some extra plants and trees around the periphery of the castle.

11/10

Chris
*Waves*
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

I love this set :D I wish I had it :cry:
KKI is the best KKI is the best
shadowknight94
Villein

Post by shadowknight94 »

This set looks awesome. It would be a great addition to any Lego collection. I wish I had it.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... owknight94
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

Geez where do I even begin with reviewing this set? This set is incredible. If you've never owned it I suggest you get your hands on a copy at all costs. This is such a well designed fortress, I think that whoever designed it had a very clever mind and put the parts at his disposal to great use. When you look at how it's built and the peice selection you can't go wrong. I rarely keep anything I buy or build built, out of habit but if I had a fully constructed version of this set right now, I probably would never part it out. This set has great minifigs too.
bkwrm79
Serf

Post by bkwrm79 »

This was my big castle (my brother had the big Lion castle, similar but in grey). I absolutely love it. Great design, huge variety of pieces, wonderful army of mini-figs - as soon as I had this set Black Monarch could begin conquering Legoland from the Lions!

A great variety of castles were possible with the bricks. The main design could also be used as a component of a super-mega-castle incorporating King's Castle and King's Mountain Fortress and a couple smaller buildings as well.

Plenty of room inside for the great army that came with the set, plus all the reinforcements I gathered over the years. Even huge siege machines could be put safely inside (although how they got them in and out I don't know!).

If they re-released this set I'd buy another for the bricks and mini-figs (but mostly for the bricks).