Second Kingdoms Wave?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Storm
Villein

Re: Second Kingdoms Wave?

Post by Storm »

If the Forestmen return, who will be their counter? In the '07 line, we had Crownies and Skeletons, Dwarves and Trolls. There should be some kind of opponent for the Forestmen, IMHO.
I'm Storm, and you've just read my post.
A kind word and a gun will get you farther than a kind word alone -Al Capone
SevFalcon
Laborer

Post by SevFalcon »

Storm wrote:If the Forestmen return, who will be their counter? In the '07 line, we had Crownies and Skeletons, Dwarves and Trolls. There should be some kind of opponent for the Forestmen, IMHO.

I'd love to see an updated version of the Wolfpack opposite the Forestmen.
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

I'm guessing that next year there will be one set with the red queen from the advent calendar in it.
Figures that appear in advent calendars usually end up in the next years sets.

But so far no figures that have appeared in the collectible mini figure sets have appeared in regular lines.
And most of the minifig exclusive parts haven't made it into the regular lines.

I figure next year that if they introduce a 3rd faction it wouldn't be elves or forestmen they mainly wear browns or green and that seems to be the dragon factions colours. If Lego had planned to introduce a mainly green themed faction in the second year they wouldn't have chosen green as a main faction colour.... So I'm guessing no elves or forestmen in the main line next year.
Storm
Villein

Post by Storm »

dyntar wrote:
I figure next year that if they introduce a 3rd faction it wouldn't be elves or forestmen they mainly wear browns or green and that seems to be the dragon factions colours. If Lego had planned to introduce a mainly green themed faction in the second year they wouldn't have chosen green as a main faction colour...
What about purple? There's practically no purple factions in Castle, and I think it deserves a chance.
I'm Storm, and you've just read my post.
A kind word and a gun will get you farther than a kind word alone -Al Capone
OverLoad
Steward

Post by OverLoad »

Storm wrote:
dyntar wrote:
I figure next year that if they introduce a 3rd faction it wouldn't be elves or forestmen they mainly wear browns or green and that seems to be the dragon factions colours. If Lego had planned to introduce a mainly green themed faction in the second year they wouldn't have chosen green as a main faction colour...
What about purple? There's practically no purple factions in Castle, and I think it deserves a chance.
Believe it or not, I picture a purple and yellow faction appearing in the 2011 line up, if there is one.

Maybe a ram as their coat of arms? Eagle? Owl? An owl would be interesting for sure.
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/128569443@N02/]-New Flickr-[/url] [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=MrGray]-Brickshelf-[/url] [url=http://www.classic-castle.com/forum/viewtop ... =4&t=24758]-Tales of the Nortlen-[/url]
Captain Cochise
Serf

Post by Captain Cochise »

I always liked the Forestmen as a stand alone faction as you could pitch them as independants. They could plunder and pilfer either Black Falcon or Lion Knights in years past. Just bring back the lovely original line of Forestmen!

As far as a Dragon Knight's castle, I still think the best lego Castle since Black Monarch's Castle has been 8877 Vladek's Dark Fortress (minus the jellybeans). Change the dark red in that set into dark green and you've got one heck of a Dragon Knight's Fortress. Heck, I was going to buy two of the Prison Tower Rescues and incorporate them modularly into Vladek's Dark Fortress!
[url]http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/6331[/url]

Everything tiled? Check. Vegetation on Steriods? Check. Excessive stone work and Rocks? Check.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Much as I would love to see a Forestman Return, I think there would be a colour clash between the predominantly green Forestmen and the the predominantly dark green Dragon Knights. This is not insurmountable, however, but one of a few things would have to happen.

1.) The first possibility is that the Forestmen become aligned with the Dragon Knights, just like the Dwarfs were aligned with the Crown Knights. This would be really cool--I would love to see some dark green-dominant Forestmen/rogues. Of course, they wouldn't really be Robin Hood types, in this case, because of the alignment with a "bad guy" faction. I know, I know--the Dragon Knights aren't necessarily bad--however, they ARE the darker coloured of the two factions and portrayed as the attackers. In any case, the Forestmen would be an aligned faction, rather than neutral. Still, even if they weren't "real" Forestmen, they would look quite cool.

2.) Secondly, it is possible that the "Forestmen" would see a colour shift away from green to brown-dominant, reminiscent of the Dark Forest, or even the Wolfpack. While I think this could work and still leave the Forestmen with a neutral alignment and a clear Robin Hood imagery, it would have to be done right. The problem, I think, is that it might make it more difficult for Lego to introduce a fourth, balancing, faction.

3.) The third possibility, as I see it, would be for Lego to release a foresters/rogues "good guy" faction, with a bad guy opposite. This could be really interesting, because it could neatly parallel the Forestmen/Wolfpack difference of the early 1990s. However, I think that the "good guys" would have to be quite different from their Robin Hood-esque predecessors. Again, this is not a bad thing. However, I think we would get a very different (and more interesting, depending on how you look at it) colour scheme than the classic "lincoln green." You might get the "good guy" Grey/Brown rogues and the "bad guy" Black/Green? rogues. Personally, I would love to see Year 2 of Kingdoms as the "rogues" year: the figs usable for civilians would be many.

Actually, I'd love to see any of these options, which *I* think are the main ones available if Lego chooses to go in a Forestman-like direction in the Second Wave. It is, of course, quite possible that they would go in some other direction (Blue Eagle and Grey Wolf factions--nostalgic of Black Falcons and Wolfpack and using colour schemes not utilised in Kingdoms)...
pijani
Artisan

Post by pijani »

elondisc wrote:ZOMBIES! that would be baller. zombies trying to berak into a castle. that would be very hard. but also difficult to kill them since there are no guns to shoot them in the head from far away.
But we got PLENTY of cold iron and sharp edges for taking the whole head of :) wizards with fire, etc. If zombies attack, we will be ready! :)
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

elondisc wrote:ZOMBIES! that would be baller. zombies trying to berak into a castle. that would be very hard. but also difficult to kill them since there are no guns to shoot them in the head from far away.
Consider that entire series *bought*! However, that sort of just re-modifies the previous theme of "army of darkness"/skeleton army baddies. :orc:
For the King's Castle!
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

Formendacil wrote:Much as I would love to see a Forestman Return, I think there would be a colour clash between the predominantly green Forestmen and the the predominantly dark green Dragon Knights. This is not insurmountable, however, but one of a few things would have to happen.

1.) The first possibility is that the Forestmen become aligned with the Dragon Knights, just like the Dwarfs were aligned with the Crown Knights. This would be really cool--I would love to see some dark green-dominant Forestmen/rogues. Of course, they wouldn't really be Robin Hood types, in this case, because of the alignment with a "bad guy" faction. I know, I know--the Dragon Knights aren't necessarily bad--however, they ARE the darker coloured of the two factions and portrayed as the attackers. In any case, the Forestmen would be an aligned faction, rather than neutral. Still, even if they weren't "real" Forestmen, they would look quite cool.

2.) Secondly, it is possible that the "Forestmen" would see a colour shift away from green to brown-dominant, reminiscent of the Dark Forest, or even the Wolfpack. While I think this could work and still leave the Forestmen with a neutral alignment and a clear Robin Hood imagery, it would have to be done right. The problem, I think, is that it might make it more difficult for Lego to introduce a fourth, balancing, faction.

3.) The third possibility, as I see it, would be for Lego to release a foresters/rogues "good guy" faction, with a bad guy opposite. This could be really interesting, because it could neatly parallel the Forestmen/Wolfpack difference of the early 1990s. However, I think that the "good guys" would have to be quite different from their Robin Hood-esque predecessors. Again, this is not a bad thing. However, I think we would get a very different (and more interesting, depending on how you look at it) colour scheme than the classic "lincoln green." You might get the "good guy" Grey/Brown rogues and the "bad guy" Black/Green? rogues. Personally, I would love to see Year 2 of Kingdoms as the "rogues" year: the figs usable for civilians would be many.

Actually, I'd love to see any of these options, which *I* think are the main ones available if Lego chooses to go in a Forestman-like direction in the Second Wave. It is, of course, quite possible that they would go in some other direction (Blue Eagle and Grey Wolf factions--nostalgic of Black Falcons and Wolfpack and using colour schemes not utilised in Kingdoms)...
I really admire the flow of ideas from everyone, and I'm certainly an advocate for the bigger expanding Castle universe. However, as much as I also route for the possibility of a Forestman reboot of sorts, the color scheme similarity to the Dragon Knights does problematize their likelihood. Thus, I like to come back to my own wish fulfillments. Of course, I am a continuing advocate of a non-denominational non-specific church/temple-like structure. However, I don't want to go back into that. Instead, and in light of the success of the Medieval Village, I have a new Castle/Village/Medieval-based idea that is mostly non-faction AND would help in the color scheme problem... In light of the jester we've seen TWICE now in two years, I would LOVE to see full court or traveling troupe of actors/entertainers. I think it'd be a fine opportunity to showcase a non-prison carriage (as we know acting troupes traveled from kingdom to kingdom; a kind of early vaudeville vagabonds), as well as an awesome (and NEW) brown platform stage for their larger performances!? I see them as dressed in ragged grays attire in casual ware, and then perhaps they wear the bright reds and yellows (purples?) for their performance attire. Think of them as a fanciful Wolfpack-lite with a societal acceptance twist.

Thoughts???
For the King's Castle!
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

I would still like to see a faction based on either a Scottish Highland-esque society or a similar Clan type faction. This would provide both civilians and warriors as TLC could simply provide swords, pitch forks, and bucklers (targes) to arm the civilain population of a village type setting. There could be a main keep or fortified home like: Image(From an internet source). The remainder of the line could be simple, a farm and maybe an inn or small market setting (although I realize even a smaller market is unlikely due to the already released market), something that a kid could connect to a 32x32 plate and make a whole society. Enough drama for the kids could be created with bandits (forestmen) or one of the preexisting knight factions.

As far as what I think TLC will do with the second year of Kingdoms, probably continue with the two factions they already have and maybe throw in a civilian set. There is nothing wrong with the two factions they have and the classic one faction versus another leaves a lot of available opportunites for future sets based on the range of Classic Castle when the Crusaders and Black Falcons were the two available factions.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

DerBum wrote:I would still like to see a faction based on either a Scottish Highland-esque society or a similar Clan type faction.
Well there's a new idea! I wouldn't mind seeing some plaid.
troll
Laborer

Post by troll »

Believe it or not, I picture a purple and yellow faction appearing in the 2011 line up, if there is one.

Maybe a ram as their coat of arms? Eagle? Owl? An owl would be interesting for sure.
well, that would maybe be too KK2?
Look! it's a troll, it's a funny troll! ---> :orc:

"When nothing goes right, go left"
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

I don't see purple as a main faction color, it was if I recall correctly traditionally the 'Color of Kings' or the 'Royal Color'. Not that such status prevents LEGO from using it how they see fit, not being bound to a strict historical interpretation of the past.

I'd prefer to see a second kingdoms wave that is more matched to the first one, ie a larger Green Dragon Knights castle, perhaps a boat for the Kingdom Knights side.
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

DerBum wrote:I would still like to see a faction based on either a Scottish Highland-esque society or a similar Clan type faction. This would provide both civilians and warriors as TLC could simply provide swords, pitch forks, and bucklers (targes) to arm the civilain population of a village type setting. There could be a main keep or fortified home like: Image(From an internet source). The remainder of the line could be simple, a farm and maybe an inn or small market setting (although I realize even a smaller market is unlikely due to the already released market), something that a kid could connect to a 32x32 plate and make a whole society. Enough drama for the kids could be created with bandits (forestmen) or one of the preexisting knight factions.
I really dig this idea too. It expands the universe while not drifting too far away from an "action" setting. I think, now that Lego City has successfully introduced several farm subsets, the Medieval Farm would be the next brilliant stroke to compliment the Kingdoms and the Village. Because Villages and Village Markets acted as the coinciding places for none other than the agrarian farmers who lived outside of the castle walls, away from the protection of the king. Yet, they still needed to travel to the Village for commerce, as capitalism is inescapable.

Ultimate Complementary Wave (maybe even a year 3 for Kingdoms)
- Medieval Farm $40-$50 (U.S.)
- Single celtic farmer (with NEW sheep!) $5.50
- Hay/vegetable wagon headed to market $15-$20
- Old worn down tower that agrarians/Celts live in $20-$25
- Traveling Troupes of Actors $30
- Battle pack of medieval villagers (think angry mob from Frankenstein) $15 : \
- Sanctuary (with awesome NEW druid monks) $75
For the King's Castle!