Alternate Model Review: 599 Super Basic Set

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Alternate Model Review: 599 Super Basic Set

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle alternate model review discussion. Please post your opinions on the model play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which models stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 599 Super Basic Set.

Super Basic Set was released in 1982 as part of the Universal Building Set line. A variety of alternate models are pictured on the box.

This fairy tale castle includes a drawbridge over a moat, a main gate with a red heart, a yellow turret, and a red brick tower. Surplus elements from the 375/6075 Yellow Castle 1981 production run may have been included in this basic set.

Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Re: Alternate Model Review: 599 Super Basic Set

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

That's actually a nifty looking castle. If I had been a little more alert at the time I might have gotten this set for all the precious 2x2x3 slopes and all the 1x? yellow bricks -- instead of all the yellow brick expansion packs I ordered. But back then, I think I sort of took the universal sets for granted. Plus the boxes didn't have the handy part counts on the side as they do now. Does anyone have a clue what the MSRP of the day might have been? I'm glad you made a point of featuring this set.

P.S. My second thoughts: After looking at this castle a bit, despite it having a fairy tale look to it, it actually gets down to some serious business. The double gate is perfect for trapping enemy invaders should they breach the outer wall or gate; And for the same reason, the inner walls are notably higher than the outer to allow shooting arrows into the narrow alley between the two. And the arrow slots on the inner tower are nicely elongated to allow shooting downward as well as straight out over a distance. My assessment is not to be fooled by the big red heart and the grinning minifigs.
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Huh-- according to the Peeron & BrickLink inventories, there are only 4 of the yellow corner slopes-- but it looks like there ought to be 8 in the picture? (6 seem to be visible) I can only assume that the inventory that they have wasn't complete when submitted!

Here's the original picture from the box:
http://media.peeron.com/pics/inv/setpic ... 423631.jpg

DaveE
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Dave,

I noticed the same thing. LEGO did cheat occasionally and built alternate models that only look good from one direction. At the very least this set should have six yellow corner slopes. I imagine this inventory was based on the instructions and not an unopened set.

Ben
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

This would have made a nice addition to the Yellow castle. This could have been a keep for one of the other factions (red, white, or black). I think this may have been released to late for me as I was moving into the mid-teen years (14) and high school "dark age."
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!