The elf!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Re: The elf!

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

Athos wrote:I just wonder what is he going to do with the shield? He can't use it with the bow and he doesn't have any other weapon.

Though I do like the shield design. Its kind of a shame they used it for a one-off figure and not a full on elf theme.

Steve
That question has been nagging me, too.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

For me this is great, as we here had been repeatedly been told by LEGO "no elves". Instead of dreaming about what a new elf could look like we have a great example, complete with a revamped "deer stag" faction shield and bow to boot. The problem that I have now is seeing this I would like more. More figures to fill out a faction that is. Will this happen? Perhaps. It's hard to say how much interest would we have to show LEGO to convince them to make a new elven faction in the future. Perhaps they have already decided to even though the official word is "NO" to keep their competitors off balance? I am hopeful by this figure, along with the Samurai and Hula Girl that there will be more revamped Ninja and Islander sets. A big thanks to LEGO for these figures to keep us guessing.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

There is a ninja line already slated for January 2011, Its already on TLC's website.... not sure about the hula girl, unless they do a island vacation set for city though.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Post by Baron Greenbriar »

I really do hope they expand this. What would be the point of a one off elf? Doesn't TLC realize that this is only going to cause more fervor and more demands for a line of elves to come? It would be almost better if this guy wasn't made at all though I have to admit I think this is a very good job.

Sig Fig and Sig coming soon I'm new :wink: :wink:
Sir Prog
Laborer

Post by Sir Prog »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:There is a ninja line already slated for January 2011, Its already on TLC's website.... not sure about the hula girl, unless they do a island vacation set for city though.

Heir
I read the animated "teasers" for the ninja info on TLG website a week ago. I'm excited about the line, and definitely hope to make up for not collecting when the first line came out in the early 00's. However, wasn't that original line a replacement for a then-vacated castle line? I only ask because my anxiety correlates to the question of whether or not Kingdoms will be replaced by the New Ninja line.
For the King's Castle!
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Sir Prog wrote:I read the animated "teasers" for the ninja info on TLG website a week ago. I'm excited about the line, and definitely hope to make up for not collecting when the first line came out in the early 00's. However, wasn't that original line a replacement for a then-vacated castle line? I only ask because my anxiety correlates to the question of whether or not Kingdoms will be replaced by the New Ninja line.
The first Ninja line came out in two major waves, in 1998 and 1999, between the Fright Knights (1997) and the original Knights' Kingdom (2000). They continued to have the yellow-orange boxes that had distinguished Castle sets, and were clearly a "replacement" insofar as they took Castle's spot in the line-up.

However... it does not follow that because the original Ninja wave filled a gap in the Castle releases that the new Ninja-Go theme will do the same (admittedly, it doesn't disprove it either). By way of analogy, the Insectoids/(Rockraiders)/Life-on-Mars could be considered the last of the old "Space" themes, which gave up their "spot" in the line-up because Star Wars had effectively filled that market, rendering a Lego-designed Space theme redundant. However, while Star Wars continues to show no sign of dying, we've now had four years of Mars Mission and Space Police (III) sets running alongside.

We've also--notably, I think--just had Prince of Persia sets running alongside the Kingdoms sets.
pijani
Artisan

Post by pijani »

there is no discussion. I simply love it and, for the first time in Lego minifigs universe - I got to get myself one :)
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:
Athos wrote:I just wonder what is he going to do with the shield? He can't use it with the bow and he doesn't have any other weapon.

Though I do like the shield design. Its kind of a shame they used it for a one-off figure and not a full on elf theme.

Steve
That question has been nagging me, too.

They probably just figured it would be more fun to toss in another rare chase piece rather than a quiver.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

rogue27 wrote:
They probably just figured it would be more fun to toss in another rare chase piece rather than a quiver.

That's an odd sort of, "fun" :? I like the phase , "chase piece" never heard it before.
Kosh
Foot Soldier

Post by Kosh »

Baron Greenbriar wrote:
rogue27 wrote:

That's an odd sort of, "fun" :? I like the phase , "chase piece" never heard it before.
I believe the term (or at least meaning in this context) originated more in the collectible 'Action Figures' or collectible card game area's of existence. It would be of similar vein of a 'Short Packed' figure or item out of a assortment pack (or the 'Rare' or 'Ultra Rare' packed cards). In many insistences it's purely a deliberately manufactured shortage by the design of the producing company (although not always).
Here a 'chase piece' looks to mean more of a 'just gotta have it' meaning, if you use the Elf as an archer then you free up the shield for use elsewhere or as trade/sale fodder. Then again some will swap the bow for a sword and go melee with the Elf, freeing up the bow for a missle character :)
Build? I merely Acquire atm.
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Kosh wrote:

I believe the term (or at least meaning in this context) originated more in the collectible 'Action Figures' or collectible card game area's of existence. It would be of similar vein of a 'Short Packed' figure or item out of a assortment pack (or the 'Rare' or 'Ultra Rare' packed cards). In many insistences it's purely a deliberately manufactured shortage by the design of the producing company (although not always).
Here a 'chase piece' looks to mean more of a 'just gotta have it' meaning, if you use the Elf as an archer then you free up the shield for use elsewhere or as trade/sale fodder.
Thanks for clarifying that what I was thinking of anyway. :wink:
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Yes, I was thinking of the term "chase rare" which is used in collectible card games to describe a card that is available in smaller quantities and also highly sought after.

All of the unique shield printings have been relatively valuable. This will be no exception.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Is this guy in the US yet (widely available). I hear January 2011 is that accurate?
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Baron Greenbriar wrote:Is this guy in the US yet (widely available). I hear January 2011 is that accurate?
Got mine at TRU in Texas.
Baron Greenbriar
Villein

Username wrote:Got mine at TRU in Texas.
Thanks! :D I'll have to check into that where I live.