Weekly Set Review: Knight's Stronghold

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
mysticallyenchanting
Villein

Post by mysticallyenchanting »

This set has some sentimental value to me. As a kid (I would only have been 4 when it came out), my mom took me shopping every week. And every week I saw this set and thought how cool it would be to add to my 6085. Unfortunately at that age I was too young/shy to ask so I never got it (but it is now on my wish list!).

Pro
IMO it would make an amazing barbican for the Black Monarchs Castle, or indeed any castle gatehouse. I'll have to try that one day when I get the set.

Con
The catapult is neither use nor ornament. It doesn't look as realsitic as 6030 nor does it work as well as the likes of 6039. i.e. it's the worst of both worlds - it looks bad and doesn't work. I also dislike the large black counterweight - it's too big in relation to the rest of the machine.

The large brown doors always enticed me as I drooled over this set as a kid. They looked so formidible. However, on closer inspection I can see that they open inwards. This means that any battering ram etc could easily break the doors. The design could be much improved if a large bar were supplied similar to the prision in 6080 to "lock" these huge gates.

Con
Another weakness is the narrow walkway above the walls. I didn't mind this in 6085 because there was a small barrier to stop knights falling off but in this set this doesn't exist.

Pro
As for the small prison, I don't mind getting one in every castle set. After all, if this were to be used as a city gate, there could be any number of thieves or spies that would need to be captured and imprisoned. It also increases the playability, especially if this was the first set you got.

Overall I think the set is good, but not as good as it could be. There are some design flaws and the figs are the wrong colours, as previously mentioned. Furthermore, because the walls are black, there is no chance of a role reversal as in 6061 or 6062. The Black Knights have to own the wall. It's a pity that TLC didn't make more black modules so that a more extensive castle could be built, possibly with more than one faction being black.

Sorry if that's abit long winded - it's my 1st post!

Happy New Year!
Paul
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Awesome set. Came out right when Lego was at it's peak. And it really shows Lego at it's best.

The whole wall/catapult idea is great, we even actually see some it come back in KK2. It's nice to see the forces about even in this set. Makes playing a whole lot funner. The catapult is interesting, to say the least. I'll pretty sure that it would not throw far, but a least they designed it after something sorta historical. As opposed to the usual finger weight ones. That Falcon Knight though seal's my love for this set. Honestly, that dude is the coolest Falcon out there.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

This set is nothing amazing to me, but in is simplicity, it is one of the best small-to-medium sized sets I've seen LEGO come out with. I also like the concept of a defended wall with attacking men for a set this size, and I think that the pieces are the perfect size/composition. It's almost a modular piece for a larger castle, but by itself could be a nice gateway along a mountain path or something (how I use it).

Either way, it's perfect for piecing out. 8)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
BlackVrabac
Serf

Post by BlackVrabac »

Robin Hood wrote:The catapult is interesting, to say the least. I'll pretty sure that it would not throw far, but a least they designed it after something sorta historical.
It wouldn't throw at all, tried it two days ago. However the idea is good and working, it's just that they probably went saving on pieces and did it only half-way. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll post some pics of a catapult I made out of improving this one when I confiscate one from a friend.

A nice try to make something else than finger-powered ones they made earlier.
Hothir Ethelnor
Freeman

Post by Hothir Ethelnor »

This is the first set I ever got so it has a lot of sentimental value for me too,I remember getting alot of play time from this simple set and although the catapult doesn't throw very far it used to be the funnest :D thing to use ( I was only three when I got this one :wink: ) now I would buy it again, to get an armoured falcon, :D as the black wall pieces don't interest me as much as they used to
:wink: I'd rate it 9/10
"The lad parried it, and leaping back, struck at the horse's leg. The animal fell instantly, and as he did so Archie struck full on the helm of Sir John Kerr" Excerpt from, In Freedoms Cause by G.A Henty
The Duke
Serf

Post by The Duke »

i always liked this set. back in the day i didn't have enough money to buy the black monarch's castle, so i bought 2 of these and made them connect to each other.
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

Great set - it has great play value with two factions well represented, and I like the appearance of both the castle and the catapult. Since I don't own the set I can't judge its functionality but I've heard both good and bad. Too bad there were so few modular sets with black walls. While I like 6062 better, this is a solid medium sized offering 8.5/10.
Luke Everson

Post by Luke Everson »

This set is amazing! It comes with Big brown doors, and armor. Also it comes with men of two different factions. :lol: :D
Luke Everson

Post by Luke Everson »

I'd rate it 9/10 :P
Shadow
Squire

Post by Shadow »

Hey Luke. You should learn how to edit your work. Click this (Image to edit your post and put the '9/10' in there.

Just wanted to help before the admins ate you :wink:
Moroder
Apprentice

Post by Moroder »

Oh, this was a cool set. What I first liked about it was the good amount of equipment. Besides that, the Black Monarch and Black Falcon factions are still the best ones, IMHO. I rate this set 8,5/10.

As HenrytheV stated before, it would be cool to see this set produced again.
Tirechewer
Gong Farmer

Its alright

Post by Tirechewer »

I like the fact that it comes with so many mini figs, for the size of the set. :shock:
There is no need for a brick separator, when you have teeth. =)
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

The mini figs are fairly numerous and also more generic, giving you more men at arms. I like the solid wheels on the siege weapon, but the rest is pretty goofy looking. I love the modular idea, although more of the black walled ones would have been good. Nice piece selection. Overall a decent set for lego at the time, a great set nowadays.

Chris
jens
Lord

Post by jens »

This set is ugly.

The castlewall always falls down, because the baseplates are to small. The catapult doesn't really work, the weight on the one side isn't fixed well. It often broke down.

Why are there pins at the end of the wall? Where should I connect it? With 6085? It doesn't work because of the baseplate <-> plate.

regards,
jens
tanzirian
Villein

Post by tanzirian »

Where should I connect it?
Jojo shows that it can be done:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=821398