Idea Book 250: Week III Reviews

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

cnelson wrote:This probably sounds strange coming from someone who's working on a modular castle where the average module is 1,000+ pieces, but true skill is building something on a small scale that is elegant, clever, and makes good use of bricks. These Idea Book models show why the designers work for Lego and not I. ;-)
An excellent point. Anyone can build a basic big Castle if they have the bricks. Basically, is just walls with a gate and crenellations. Big castles a dime a dozen around here. (okay, that's an exaggeration).

Its the little details, the interesting and innovative things that people have done to enhance these big creations that makes them truly interesting too us. A well-done small-size MOC is simply a MOC that is wholly devoted to this innovation. And because it is set in such a smaller spot, it is thus a lot easier to grasp the idea, and appreciate it.

Take Nathan's ballista, for example. Smaller than most current sets, it garnered as much attention or more than most of those big castles we have floating around.

A good little idea is better than an unoriginal big one.

EDITED to fix quote.
Last edited by Formendacil on Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

Great work fellas. i wax nostalgic when I see things like this when there was true Castle. Ah well...

I must however interrupt this melancholy to point out that the Keg Stand was not. Even though it may have been called one. Look at the grapes on the sign, and the ladder leading up to the vat of grapes that the guy inside in clearly crushing. This is actually a "Cask Stand" or wine barrel stand if you must. How's that for pursnickity! :twisted:
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

The Blue knight wrote:I must however interrupt this melancholy to point out that the Keg Stand was not. Even though it may have been called one. Look at the grapes on the sign, and the ladder leading up to the vat of grapes that the guy inside in clearly crushing. This is actually a "Cask Stand" or wine barrel stand if you must. How's that for pursnickity! :twisted:
Of course, if you check the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus, a keg, cask and barrel are all the same thing. The only thing that differentiates a keg from a cask or barrel is that it is smaller (30 gallons or less), so unless you can prove that these barrels hold more than 30 gallons, "Keg Stand" is an appropriate name.
I really really like the barbecue model. Sadly, I don't have pieces in the right color, so I can't build that little chicken. Tis a shame, really.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

doctorsparkles wrote: I really really like the barbecue model. Sadly, I don't have pieces in the right color, so I can't build that little chicken. Tis a shame, really.
Me too :( I'll have to make a black burnt one :cry: Unless I have the pieces in brown.
pwnage
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

Emperor James wrote:
doctorsparkles wrote: I really really like the barbecue model. Sadly, I don't have pieces in the right color, so I can't build that little chicken. Tis a shame, really.
Me too :( I'll have to make a black burnt one :cry: Unless I have the pieces in brown.
I could make a black or grey one. I could make one with a dark red body and light red legs, but I don't think it's really worth it.
"Always do what you want, and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~ Doctor Suess
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

doctorsparkles wrote:
The Blue knight wrote:I must however interrupt this melancholy to point out that the Keg Stand was not. Even though it may have been called one. Look at the grapes on the sign, and the ladder leading up to the vat of grapes that the guy inside in clearly crushing. This is actually a "Cask Stand" or wine barrel stand if you must. How's that for pursnickity! :twisted:
Of course, if you check the Merriam-Webster dictionary and thesaurus, a keg, cask and barrel are all the same thing. The only thing that differentiates a keg from a cask or barrel is that it is smaller (30 gallons or less), so unless you can prove that these barrels hold more than 30 gallons, "Keg Stand" is an appropriate name.
I really really like the barbecue model. Sadly, I don't have pieces in the right color, so I can't build that little chicken. Tis a shame, really.
So why are they all described as drinking beer? :D Where do you get a good beer in Medina? I have to go back through before I open a new location in Ashatabula (sp?).
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

The Blue knight wrote: So why are they all described as drinking beer? :D Where do you get a good beer in Medina? I have to go back through before I open a new location in Ashatabula (sp?).
Beer is the first thing that usually comes to mind when you hear 'keg,' but it isn't the only thing that can be kept in one. Actually, when I hear 'keg stand,' I think of a certain drinking activity of the same name... maybe some of the party animals on this site are familiar with it.
As for where to get a good beer in Medina... that's a good question. I'll be sure to answer you in about 5 months when I can buy a drink legally.