What is the biggest lego castle? What about the best? (IYO)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Rhapsodyred99
Gong Farmer

What is the biggest lego castle? What about the best? (IYO)

Post by Rhapsodyred99 »

Hello all New to the forums here, but a long time lego fan.

I was wondering two things:

First should be easy to any long term castle collector (I have mostly been starwars and Pirates)

What is the biggest castle lego has produced. Piece count, Hight, Length. Maybe one is all three?

Second What in your own opinion is the Best Castle (not castle set but castle itself) and why? Thuis should be a completely personal answer as you say why YOU think xyz castle is the best ever.

I had a Dungeon Master's castle (black Knight's castle later) back in the day, and I have recently ordered the Medieval Market, but I am trying to decide how hard I want to hit bricklink for older sets. The recent Kingdom sets are not all that inspiring, though Mill Villiage Raid looks promising.

Thanks all!
Halberd777
Laborer

Re: What is the biggest lego castle? What about the best? (IYO)

Post by Halberd777 »

Well to answer your question it is actually Vladek's Dark Fortress which was released in 2005 with 983 pieces I am not sure about the height but it is one of the taller castles but not really a favorite among classic castle fans because the Knights Kingdom line is a very fantasy oriented line with the figures being rather bright and awkward looking. The biggest "castle set lego has produced to date however is Medieval Market Village with a whomping 1601 pieces almost double the amount of most castles.

Favorite Castle I am not sure yet. I own Royal Knights Castle, Black Knight's Castle, and King's Castle Siege and I like all three differently. Each one has a different building style, The Royal Knights Castle has a broad base and is the least defensible, Black Knight's Castle has the hight mountain base and is better defended but rather small. The King's Caslte Siege is very large and defensible but not much personality to the castle and has some awkward features.

Well I would suggest ebay if you have the patience. Once you get back a few years prices skyrocket on bricklist. You can usually get most items from e-bay at least for what they sold for except some of the more popular items like the Dwarven mine, Troll Warship, Drawbridge Defense, Skeleton Tower (all from the fantasy line), and anything from the Dark Forest line.
theboywarrior
Steward

Post by theboywarrior »

I am torn between Black Monarch's Castle and Black Falcon's Fortress as my favorite.
Some folk we never forget
Some kind we never forgive
Haven’t seen the back of us yet
We’ll fight as long as we live

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-o ... tizen2.bmp[/img]
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Post by dyntar »

I think that the tallest castle was probably the one from the Batlord era... I don't have that one.. so I'm not entirely sure.. but it looks the tallest.

piece count or size don't necessarily make a good castle.

Best castle .... I'm going to go for both of the Black knight castles.. 6085.. [mainly for sentimental value].. was my only major castle I had while growing up.. and was never taken apart [still hasn't been]. many many hours of play and no piece lost or broken. and castle 6086 because it still stands out as one of the best defended and most interestingly designed. i only got this one recently but its definitely one of the best.. it may not be the biggest though.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The Night Lord's Castle is the tallest castle set. Check out the discussion regarding that set here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4728

My personal favorite is 6080 King's Castle. It includes a great selection of grey bricks and can be defended easily. Many prefer 6086 Black Knight's Castle which is visually pleasing with the red roof and timber frame wall panels.

Ben
LordZode
Apprentice

Post by LordZode »

The 7094 King's Castle Siege was very well received Castle from more recent times.

The 10193 Medieval Market Village has been voted the best over-all Castle set, high piece count, great build, and very unique chance to add wonderful civilian elements.
P.S. If you need help making MOCs, making posts, or don't know what to do next, please, let me know! I'm here to help! ;)
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Halberd777 wrote:Well to answer your question it is actually Vladek's Dark Fortress which was released in 2005 with 983 pieces
Huh-- LUGNET, Classic-Castle, and Peeron say that Vladek's Dark Fortress had 967 pieces, but BrickSet says 983. King's Castle Siege reportedly had 973 pieces, which would make it "bigger" in terms of pieces, if 8877 indeed has the lower piece count. But at that point, it's probably time to start debating what counts as a "piece" :)

Tallest is (as stated) probably 6097, Night Lord's Castle from 1997. There were a couple different configurations, but one of them put the already-very-tall tower on TOP of some of the rest of the structure, resulting in a really over-the-top height.

Length and width, I'm not sure about-- might depend on the configuration as well. I'll bet Vladek's Dark Fortress is the winner for the width, but I haven't really done any in-depth checking.

Favorite? Probably either 6080 (I love the aesthetic of a simple, imposing, European castle) or 6086 (the best overall layout IMHO). It's hard to pick.

DaveE