Weekly Set Review: Royal Joust

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I was never impressed with this set. All its good points and all its bad points have been noted so i will just say 4.5/10 then, 5.5/10 now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
litenDavid
Villein

Post by litenDavid »

My first thought when I saw this on the shelf was "wow, that evil knight looks SO cool!". And he really does, with the chain and the horse helmet. Also, the beautiful girl accompanying me bought it for me, which heightens it's value tenfold. :D
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

I don't like:

- the absence of guards to protect the king;
- the "mini-castle" behind the king (actually I don't know if it is supposed to be a mini-castle or a giant throne);
- prefabricate parts;
- Bull knight (who seems to be a soldier rather than a knight!).

I like:
- the Euro visor, even without Euro armor (this is a tournament, not a battle).
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

I like the set, but it should have required a guard with weapons for Cedric, and one for the king...
The price was too high, I'd buy this set for the pieces and waste my money on the set with the king on hiq horse and his knight or the small sets with the bulls.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

The set didn't too much for me. The Marquis de Sade's quintain for two was not to my taste. The King without gallery seemed awfully thin. Simply put, Lego did the set better before. Some bits and pieces were okay, and in general I like KK1 figs, but I balked at buying this for 40% off.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

I bought one of these as one of my first kk1 sets. I have some strange taboo never to take apart sets that don't fall apart on their own (i still have those Dino island sets in 1 piece!) and then I don't take apart the pieces (I still have 1/2 of my Island Hopper) but, needless to say, I managed to bring myself to desintegrate this set into my bulk-brick storage bin fairly quickly. The set design is megablocks, but three figures and a handful of weapons and horses makes it OK for a one-time buyer. Overall, 6/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

i don't like kk but, it has a lot good pieces. It doesn't need any more pieces.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I liked this set for the figures; a Leo knight, a royal, and a bull knight. The stained glass was ok if I ever had the chance to build a large church/ cathedral. I had a problem with the KK1 buildings and castles that they were too spaced out with not enough bricks. But the figures I liked a lot.

The cost of this set was high, even more so because I had been laid off in November of 2000 and could only find lower paying temp jobs. I did not know about Bricklink if it was even around then. If I wanted the figures, this was the only way to get them. Sparing the money to buy this set gave me a good feeling even though job wise life was hard. I still have some of the sets unopened in my closet.

For the figures alone, I give this set a 8/10. I am taking 2 points off for the price. The other parts were a bonus.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Kozai13
Peasant

Post by Kozai13 »

I really like this set. It was one of my first KK sets and I think I got 2 of these. Sure, it was a little overpriced, and it did look ridiculous, but I think it had good pieces.
Matt

Check out my brickshelf account:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Matman13

And my brickset profile:
http://www.brickset.com/profile/default.aspx?user=Matman13
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

When I got it itseemed wonderful. but now it seems just to be pieces randomly putted on a base plate. but the knights are ok.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

A lot of big parts. Stained glass was a nice idea, but its too big to really be used well. Especially when its stuck in that panel.

Everyone looks under equiped. Two knights without armor? Cedric doesn't look too bad, but the other guy looks funny without armor (I think the helmet sticks out too far). King needs a cape too.

It does come with extra shields, which is a plus. The new line needs to include more shields.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

I got this set, and my favorite thing was the visor helm, which until recently had been my only visor of that type. :?
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

I bought 6060 Knight's Challenge off the shelf from TRU way back when it was a current set, so anything I have seen since then has just seemed like a cheap ripoff. Back then, about $20 got you 8 minifigs, 2 horses with very nice bardings, and a nice selection of weapons and accessories. Sets like this one, therefore, do not really stand up for me (and "Final Joust" is even worse).

Chris
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

This set has weak points; figure count, especially. However, the large amount of 1 stud thick "base plates" that they use throughout the KK1 line really, to me, is great. I use large bricks like that all the time to cover large areas of landscaping.
The visor is good, as the chain for the horse (yey, reins!), but still. This set is kind of lame. KK1 among other sets at this time is really when, as a little kid who had 100s (I wish I didn't throw them away :shock: :x :oops: ) of old catalogs, set me away from lego and played just with my collection (which was quite large).
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

It's not bad, but I just don't like it. The colour combos don't work for me, and the fig count/piece sizes aren't to my taste either. Jibbajabba's right, it's hard to make a joust to the standards of 6080, and this one definitely falls short.