Weekly Set Review: Fire Breathing Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
jwcbigdog
Apprentice

Post by jwcbigdog »

I was never impressed by the entire Dragon Masters line. I guess I was spoiled with my early years of LEGO being when Black Falcons and the other great old realms were at their peak. I had some of the smaller sets of these, but this one seemed overpriced and not overly useful. Mainly I was interested in the Dark Forest and Royal Knights lines that were out. I agree with some of the others that this set and line was sort of the beginning of the end. Sigh.
ezehogan
Foot Soldier

Post by ezehogan »

I got this set at the end of its life cycle in stores back when I was in the sixth grade. My mom bought it for me for Christmas (and I found out ahead of time by snooping, but that's a story for another time).

At first I wasn't overly excited, but after putting this set together, I was very pleased. I really like the tower, the staircase to the upper tier, and a trap door that is flawless in execution. I also really enjoyed the jail cell and the look of the interior that you can actually see.

That being said, there were some problems. The dragon cell takes up to much space and as a result, you lose most of the interior of the castle. This angers many. However, I consider it a trade off, as it gives you more room to work with on the upper tier rather than a little strip for the soldiers to walk on.

All in all, I think this was a good set, and one of the last good efforts Lego made with the castle line before things really went downhill. 7 of 10.
"A chair like this is like a girlfriend! Why would you trade in an old one that's comfortable for a new one that could be a pain in the butt?" -Archie Bunker-
Koenig_Artus
Peasant

Post by Koenig_Artus »

This "Fortress" (ist more a hideout) was one of my favorite Castles until i found the yellow one in shop in my neighbourhood.
Its the only one of which i still have the intructions, so i built it again i discovered several flaws i didn`t mind as i was younger.

-there are some holes in the right wall
-there is no front wall, and if the dragon went to a party, it might become very dangerous i would prefer ro have the intrance to the dragon`s den on the top
-the gate is not save, although a castle was defended by throwing heavy (any)things from the top, the dragon head would not work(it even falls off), and is much too big (wich was mentioned before), a gatehouse is missing too
-the watchtower in physikal might not hold it's top...
-the top of the watchtower.... errrr DUMB DESIGN, althoug that roof-part would come in handy if you had two of them
-the back wall,... ok we have seen that three times before 6082

but when you watch at it how it is shown on the box it still looks pretty cool, it's a fantasy-castle

oh, and the printed parts are pretty good for fantasy-themes

and the minifigs are pretty cool, because they look wild and archaic(?), they are the perfect barbarians(fantasy-style) They also have a mage(meanwhile there are black parts for such a character) and THE DRAGON!!!

well as a child or fantasy-freak i would give this castle a 9/10
but as a history-nerd(well i am more into medievial life) i would give it a 2/10
The Duke
Serf

Post by The Duke »

i had this one and i enjoyed it for quite a while. but even as a kid i built another castle with it.

(on the background of my avatar)
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

ezehogan wrote:All in all, I think this was a good set, and one of the last good efforts Lego made with the castle line before things really went downhill. 7 of 10.
Indeed.
architect wrote:..was the castle for the Dragon Masters,
A faction I'll always have a spot in my heart for.

I recently obtained this set through various nefarious means and love it. It's asymmetrical, a plus in my opinion, with a decent selection of parts. Prefab wall peices are always welcomed for fillers or wall-taller-ers.

Great figs. Wizard, commander (with horse!), and three loyal retainers. Nice dragon, but I prefer to use the black ones as statues.

A must-have for Dragon Masters. Iconic of the fantasy-themed design of the Dragon Masters, it represents all you love (or hate) of the faction.

Figs: 10/10
Design: 8/10
Peice selection: 5/10
Playability: 10/10
Average: 8.25/10
mscannell
Serf

Post by mscannell »

I never really liked the DM theme and thought this was the start of the decline in lego castle, though the set looks OK but not great. The Majisto torso is handy as an alternative to the grey peasant torso so you don't have peasants all the same color.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

I never saw anything in this set that I needed, so I don't have it. I have thought about buying the baseplate since the highlights are in black, but I have the same baseplate with grey highlights, so I haven't bothered yet.
E of Alshire wrote: I recently obtained this set through various nefarious means and love it.
What were the nefarious means? :)

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

JoshWedin wrote:
E of Alshire wrote: I recently obtained this set through various nefarious means and love it.
What were the nefarious means?
Okay, not so nefarious.

The black highlights on the baseplate are a plus.
The Hordesman
Merchant

Post by The Hordesman »

When I was a kid, my father let me choose;

Dungeon Master's Castle (or whatever the english name was) or this one.

I choosed the Dungen Masters, the best choice, but this isnt crappadelly. The ornated bricks, the baseplate and stuff is good, the dragonhead is nice.
[url=http://s14.invisionfree.com/brick_central/index.php?act=idx]Brick Central[/url]
[url=http://s13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World.php?act=idx]Castle World, for your Lego castle stories![/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I want this set, not the best design, but I like baseplate, and how it looks, and it has a good amount of troops and I am a flag lover also 9/10. It is still one the best in my opinion and I want this!

I am leniet to all lego sets :) gooday to all
Last edited by Patron of the lego on Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Meh. Not a great set, with the design lacking. However, not horrible, with some good elements, including figs.
TrishoHara
Villein

Post by TrishoHara »

I bought the set recently, mostly because I wanted the baseplate, the dragon and the wizard. But also, because it looks cool and different to other castle sets.
~ Andi
•[url=http://flickr.com/photos/hansolo401/]Flickr[/url]•
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has any pics of the alternate designs for this set as well as any opinions on the value of this set beyond the official design.

Thanks,
Jonathan