Weekly Set Review: Fire Breathing Fortress

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Fire Breathing Fortress

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress.

Fire Breathing Fortress, released in 1993, was the castle for the Dragon Masters. This rocky fortress has a cave for the dragon, a jail, a wizard’s tower, a trap door, a secret entrance, and a dragon that drops rocks on invaders trying to reach the castle doors. The set includes a Wolfpack prisoner, one knight, a swordsman, an archer, a crossbowman, a wizard, the dragon, and various accessories.

Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

For years I wanted this set. The DM theme belongs to my dark ages and it was the last theme I ever got, that's why I guess I like them and I like this set. I got this set only recently from BL MISB.

The fortress is really unique in it's look, got some unique parts like dragon drawing on arch and on wall (those parts will also be available in set 1906 a year later).
This set had all the new stuff of 1993 like the DM theme as I said, green dragons and Merlin minifig (with wand and scroll), horse head covers and the fancy halberd which are all in this set.

It's got a nice Dragon build from bricks (that was inspired from the ideabook 250) that can shot rocks. I think it's got a lot of playability also, I had recently a 6 year old at my place who like this fortress a lot. I guess if I had it back then I'd like it much more then now since when I got it all it's uniqueness was no longer unique.

Not the best fortress but still nice to have one.
Final score: 9/10.
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

I can't see myself ever buying this - at 75% off I'd still pause.

Final rating: 3/10.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

When I first saw this set in the catalogue in 1993 I thought: OK, it's time now for my dark ages!
Just kiddink, obviously. I didn't even know the term "dark ages" then.
However, the only thing that almost got me buying this set or wishing for it for christmas was the tree built with brown arches. The model itself looked poor to me.

When I discovered I was an AFOL and actually collecting Castle LEGO I had to buy this set. And I'm still not impressed. I like the cartoonish look of the dragon head. On the other hand it's too cartoonish to be taken serious. Besides this dragon head the castle is boring.

I like the brown doors, though. Besides 6082 they are only available in 1906 what makes them only available in 6082 in Germany (if you disregard BrickLink, but still the German sellers who have those doors got them from 6082 :-) ).

Bye
Jojo

Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I like this set. But then, I like Dragon Masters, dragons, wizards, and I have never met a CRAPP I couldn't use.

This set is a pretty good one in my opinion, having, as it does, 4 DMs, Majisto/Merlin, and a Wolfpack, as well as several fig-related pieces of a useful nature: weapons, helms, shields, the dragon, the horse, the cloth pieces....

It has a lot of useful premolds, but if you're looking for pieces, start shopping somewhere else, I think.

The Second Best Dragon Master set.

Parts: 8/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (then): 6/10
Design (now): 7/10

Overall Score: 7.375/10
RuthleSs__PaLadin
Apprentice

Post by RuthleSs__PaLadin »

This was the first big castle set I got as a child. I remember watching the tv comercials for this theme, and saying, "Mom I want that set." I was around 8 when my uncle and aunt bought me it as a gift. I really enjoyed it back then, plenty hours of playtime. The only thing I remember was it was pretty hard to build it, I coudnt get the trap right. I built it as best as I could, and i would have to say it lasted me nearly 5 years built, even after I grew out of lego, it still standed. Years later when I was around 14 I got back to lego and have been building since. This set was poorly structured but it kept me bussy for many hours.

Dan
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

I don't like this set. Terrible design, bad pieces, should have more figs. 4/10
pwnage
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

At one point in my life this was the best lego set ever. I still love. It has lots of usefull pieces. The four soilders, the wolfpack, the dragon, the flag, the decorated pieces. One awesome set in my opinion. :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

I love this set... Though the design is awful. I like some of the pieces, like the archway and wall, and the dragon head is a nice (If oversized) touch, The figs could use different arms and legs, but otherwise, great.
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Silent Arrow
Villein

Post by Silent Arrow »

... 1993 was the year that Lego started to produce sets of very poor design... I can't find a reason why Lego did that. Terrible design, not enough and ugly figures.... nothing good. I suppose that the designers were new..... however they should have been dismissed for these bad ideas..........
The Josh
Apprentice

Post by The Josh »

For some reason I have always liked this set. I never bought it because it seemed overpriced to me, but I still like it. Maybe I'll find a cheap one on ebay...

-The Josh
lil Jon
Merchant

Post by lil Jon »

Never liked the way that the solider looked, but the knights are awesome, i really loved those helmets.

The Dragon on the side that drops rocks is a little weird.... I had the set but I never enjoyed the special things like the trap door and the rock dropping dragon head.
It's a Christmas Miracle!
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I never was a fan of any of the Dragon Master sets. This one in particular was overpriced when it was released. I did end up buying it for $22.00 CDN at the Bay during a clearance sale, so it was worth that price. I built it once to spec and then parted it out. The DM figs have grown on me over the years and I regret the 70 or so I sold on evilbay about 4 years ago. As to this set, I would give it a 4.5/10 then and a 7/10 now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Commander Redbeard
Bailiff

Post by Commander Redbeard »

When I saw that set I almost put my head through the monitor (Or it could be 'cos I'm tired.) THAT SET LOOKS GREAT! I've NEVER seen its equal. All I saw in my time was KK1 and the odd leftover Dragon Master's set, but nothing like this. I'm going to bricklink and ebay right now. I'd kill for this set. 1,0000/10
Sitting in a midnight glade
Firelight dancing off burnished blade
A Forestman sits
Wondering about the next day
But after three mugs of ale
Let it bring what it may.
Draygen
Artisan

Post by Draygen »

I have fond memories of the DM because about two months ago I found an old Lego catalog that had the DM as NEW. That rekindled my love of lego and since then i've begun collecting again and tryin out my hand at making my own stuff.

For me that lil wizard will always have a special place for that and because it brought alot of joy as a kid. I remember being around 8-9 myself during that time and going to toys'r'us and buying the workshop.

While I do admit design could've been better and maybe at least one more of those knights, I still like the set and the dragon helms are my favorite.

8/10
Dreams are only unrealized realities.