Citizens of the CCC, lend me your ears!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragon Master
Merchant

Citizens of the CCC, lend me your ears!

Post by Dragon Master »

How about organizing a global protest of LEGO products this weekend. I beg you, let us all go to our local stores, and purchase a set or two of those hated MEGA blocks. Let us tell LEGO of this. Who is with me? I'd take Vorgan's over Castlonical anyday of the week. Good Knights, Nobles, and Peasants, let us support the enemy this weeked.

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Hmm... I'm not sure I like that idea. I'd rather save up my money and spend it on LEGO bricks or mini-figures. I'm sorry, but I don't find the dreaded Megablock bricks and figures very compatible with my LEGO. (I hate the fact that there is now articulation in the hands) I guess they are still better than Galidor (oops, I mean Castledor), however.

Although I support letting LEGO now of our displeasure, wasting our money isn't really the way to go...
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

Why is Megabloks considered the enemy in the first place? For one, TLG doesn't listen whereas Megabloks does; does simply being there 'first' make LEGO the good guys and Megabloks bad? If it is about the issue of one copying the other, in the recent years I'm not sure who's copying whom anymore. After all, Megabloks did come up with the Island Xtreme Stunt theme first and then there's this.

I'm kind of thinking about switching over to Megabloks for good nowadays. Most of my old Lego parts are compatible with them anyway so I can't see why I shouldn't. Besides, even the most die-hard Lego fan must admit that the Vorgans are looking better with each release. Either this or I'll just make my own parts from now on. :wink:

Isaac

Visit Red Bean Studio
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Red Bean wrote:Why is Megabloks considered the enemy in the first place? For one, TLG doesn't listen whereas Megabloks does; does simply being there 'first' make LEGO the good guys and Megabloks bad? If it is about the issue of one copying the other, in the recent years I'm not sure who's copying whom anymore. After all, Megabloks did come up with the Island Xtreme Stunt theme first and then there's this.

I'm kind of thinking about switching over to Megabloks for good nowadays. Most of my old Lego parts are compatible with them anyway so I can't see why I shouldn't. Besides, even the most die-hard Lego fan must admit that the Vorgans are looking better with each release. Either this or I'll just make my own parts from now on. :wink:
It is true about LEGO's blatent copying of many Megablocks ideas. And I don't consider Megablocks the enemy. I just think the LEGO mini-figure is better in terms of articulation and design (Yes, I do prefer the LEGO design. Although Megablocks is more realistic, I just like the happy, smiley little LEGO guy). Plus, the Megablocks Dragons figures don't mix very well with my LEGO figures.

BTW, all my Megablocks opinions are based not on pictures, but my actual small colection of it.

~Devari
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Red Bean wrote:even the most die-hard Lego fan must admit that the Vorgans are looking better with each release.
I do not even know, what those Vorgans actually are. Megabloks ain't sold in Germany. But I am a die-hard LEGO fan, so I wouldn't consider buying them, even if they are as great as everybody says ;-)

Bye
Jojo

lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Re: Citizens of the CCC, lend me your ears!

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Dragon Master wrote:How about organizing a global protest of LEGO products this weekend. I beg you, let us all go to our local stores, and purchase a set or two of those hated MEGA blocks. Let us tell LEGO of this. Who is with me? I'd take Vorgan's over Castlonical anyday of the week. Good Knights, Nobles, and Peasants, let us support the enemy this weeked.

DM
This sounds noble, but will it help?

read my post here.

classic-castle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=218
DaveOhare01
Apprentice

Money talks

Post by DaveOhare01 »

Well,

I've been reading the posts on Lugnet Castle for the past few days about the new "castle" sets in the Bionacle theme. A lot of folks are pretty upset about the departure from traditional lego-style sets; I for one do not think of Bionacle as 'classic' style lego but as a seperate product line.

But, you have to respect Lego's need to make money. Bionacle and it's associated tie-in's generate quite a bit of cash flow -- with greater margin; the Bionacle sets are cheaper to produce, package, ship and sell. So, we really can't blame TLC.

There is another tact we can take besides a boycott. The shield designs from Anthony are a great example just as are the custom minifigs and other parts made by a lot of us (regrettablynot me). Rather than a boycott, the more we show TLC there is a large community, spending a significant amount of money on the parts we want, the more likely we are to see new castle sets, etc and so on.

It's all in the cash and the PR. Our other option is to talk to the big media outlets on how the 'former' "Toy of the Century" as named by Forbes Magazine, is being dumbed down. Frankly, I really like Lego, as opposed to the other options out there--and I don't really buy the current or past sets for the sets themselves anyway. So, I can begrudge (sp?) TLC's need to make money? (Wouldn't you rather they stay in business?)

So, what do we, the castle community actually want? That's the real question. I want new minifigs, new shields and that's about it. Parts are parts as the chicken McNugget lady used to say and I can get bulk brick about anywhere. If you have not been to Bricklink (www.bricklink.com) go there now and see that I am saying.

The solution? I think we need to show, as a community, a lot of interest in the custom work the people here on CCC are doing. We need to display the creations we have with the custom work and we need to make it as public as possible. In short, TLC needs to see there is a good reason to make the sort of 'accent' parts we would like -- and they can do this without necessarily creating whole new sets, etc and so on.

Would you buy expansion sets with just new figs, shields and weapons? Or do you actually want new sets? Mind you, if we go to TLC and ask for something as a community, it has to be reasonable and profitable for TLC. Of course, it also has to be what WE want -- or at least the majority of us, in a democracy SOMEONE is ALWAYS unhappy [little known secret]. So think about it and maybe we can put together a formal request to TLC. Megablocks, I have the media and other contacts to make whatever we want count -- no joke.

Thoughts?javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

Dave O'Hare
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I agree that the idea of a protest is very good.

The money thing is understandible, but i mean megablocks is obviously making money from 'regular' castle building toys so why not lego?

What i would like to see....a small new castle line, with new figs and shields as well as some designs to look over/ critique, and be inspired by. I'm curious to see what the lego designers can come up with.

Frank
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I'm agree with you DaveOhare01,

The best is to demonstrate all the good possible thing we can do with Lego. We can build our own sets as we want them. This is what I do since a bit. I don't buy thing I don't like, so I build and create the sets I want. I'll make instructions too, and one day I'll present them to Lego.

I don't like your idea DM. If we buy Megabloks for protestation, Lego will think that this kind of thing are better, because they sell well. So they will start to juniorized more and more their sets. That's not what we want.

David
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

There seems to be many sides to this argument. I have purchased Megabloks for the first time in 12 years just to start my own little protest. On the other hand I do not want TLC producing massively juniorized castle sets the way Megabloks has.

What we need are system castle sets to grow this hobby. Now I have yet to keep any of my castle sets together as a set, I prefer to build my own. It isn't lack of creativity that makes me want an official line. The question is how can we continue to grow our hobby cost effectively with no influx of new "official" system castle sets. Bricklink and Ebay/Auctionbrick can be very expensive to builders just starting out, Pick-A-Brick and Shop@Home are not necessarily an option for every buyer out there and the custom weapons guys out there have very prohibitive cost structures as well. All these factors can limit the expansion of castle armies and eliminate many new people from becoming castle fans.

What about the kids who would love castle sets, but mommy and daddy won't purchase anything from the Internet. I know several kids who love the stuff I build, but their parents are too nervous about Internet purchasing. Many of those kids now have or will be getting the Megabloks Dragon line. I haven't even begun enouraging it and it is happening.

What about the obliteration of the classic gray colors? How are we as castle builders to build in these new color cost effectively when we have no true castle sets from which to build our stockpiles?

That is the point of having an available at retail castle line, cost effectiveness. Sure I can buy 40 Dobby's release to get the windows and bricks I want, but can every kid who wants to build a castle do the same thing? Probably not.

I too only buy what I like, but it looks like all I will buy this year are a few Star Wars Redesigns to hang from my roof, I missed most of the origional releases. The rest of my money will likely be spent on some other less fulfilling hobby. I will join the Dragon Master in his retail protest if only to have some new figs to have my Falcons wipe out.

WL
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Sorry DM - I see your point but I can't bring myself to purchase anymore MegaBlok. I tried when they first came out, but they feel and play like crap. And when you mix them with your lego they look really stupid. If you switch over to MegaBlok completely I am sure you will find a lot of interest in offloading your old lego... :D
I gave my son the MegaBlok stuff and he promptly lost most of the pieces - his lego he keeps in a box in his room.
Believe me - I totally get you and your pain, frustration, and anger.
But it has been pointed out that it's all about the money, so lets drive the market.
With lego finances the way the papers report (with layoffs every few years) do we really want to stop supporting our favorite product? If there is no more lego then there are no more bricks worth playing with. Period.
However - in recent years we have seen a rebirth of town to city. Star Wars is probably only temporarily taking the place of Space. So maybe when this HP stuff finally is over we will get a castle line back.
Lets try a few other ideas before we just jump ship... Even temporarily.
I like the Idea of a group request, and would be willing to put my (real) name to anything that requests a rebirth of the minifig castle line.

I do so here first.

Patrick K. Morgan
FOL for twenty eight years.

(btw DM - I am just answering your post, and I know that your opinion is shared by a lot of people here. I hope you don't take this personally, we just have differing opinions! :) )
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

here is my suggestion. To show our interest in castle and castle's potential let us design a theme for lego. THis would be hard as we wouldnt be designing MOCS but actual retail lego sets, but it would be fun. We get a chance to build & to help bring back mini fig castle.

Now here's how i suggest we go about it.

1. select a group of three to oversee the project.

2. This group decides how many sets to have in the theme and what the part limits of the sets should be. This will be based on the relative sizes of retail lego. <i.e. the top set should be comperable in part count to the dragon fortress> The idea is to design sets lego would actually sell.

3. we the builders submit designs.

4. The comitte selects the designs to fill its quota and presents it to lego along with info on the process we took to come up with them, the number of sets submitted and so forth.

5. we could if we wished publacize this effort for media attension/public support. who knows enough good press could create demand for lego castle.

my two cents as i sit in my office and audit electric bills

Frank
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Sounds good to me, but they would probably never use it.

However, it would be a much better way to express our disapointment. Perhaps by that action we could inspire LEGO to give us a castle theme. A peaceful, creative protest.

I'm for it!
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

That is an idea that sounds good.

1) It might show Lego that there is a relitivaly strong interest in Lego castle
2) Even if Lego ignores it it will be productive and fun.

My Idea is that we could use the CCC standred and take the best sets and expand on the general theme.
Last edited by lemon_squeezer2 on Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Bean
Apprentice

Post by Red Bean »

A most wonderful idea indeed!!

What we need now is someone (perhaps one of the admins with administrative experience) to take up the burden of overseeing and organizing the project. We can then go about comtemplating the new theme, what sets to actually build (some big, some small, just like TLG would do), etc. And like lemon_squeezer2 says, even if our work is eventually ignored, it will still be of great fun as a CCC online community-bonding project. And who knows, maybe we can even distribute it ourselves as the first official CCC fan product or something? I would like to volunteer myself with helping design and make new minifigs, weapons, helmets, etc for the theme. Are anyone else interested?

R. B.

Visit Red Bean Studio