Lego Desolation of Smaug sets!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Re: Lego Desolation of Smaug sets!

Post by AK_Brickster »

I sold all four of mine to a guy in S. Korea already for $12.50 each. After shipping and taxes to buy them from TRU, that turns out to be a profit of about $20, which I can now use to pick up 3 figs from BL basically meaning I get them for free :eyebrows:
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Dude....nice 8)
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

So I don't actually understand something. You all have been begging for battle packs for the sets so you can make armies. They give you Mirkwood Elf Army which is essentially a big battle pack and all I see is people complaining about the set. Now I get that build isn't a "WOW!" but um...it is licensed and most licensed sets in that price range aren't a wow anyway. AND they gave you a battle pack...what is to complain about? Nice parts, nice figs, they filled a wish...
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

Hey blue I am in the minority because i love that set because I can build a forestman army! I know most who are complaineing, are doing so because they have hoods and not elvish armor. An because the printing on the torso is a recycle and nothing new or exxciteing. Im jusst happy that we get a decent builder parts set that i dont have to spend $20 for 1 figure!

I cant wait till I get some extra funds to get a few sets.

Curt
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I'm complaining about MEA due to the lack of armored elves, and the presence of hooded elves. There were no hooded elves in the movie. There have been armored elves (of some variety) in every movie, including both Hobbit movies. The scene the set represents shows armored and unhooded elves fighting with orcs. I really really want to build an army of armored elves! Maybe in the next wave, but I expect to see an army of armored dwarfs. This army builder set was just so obviously perfect to get that elf helmet that it's very frustrating, since it is doubtful we'll get an elf army builder set again. Those and Gondor soldiers are really my only two remaining wants for these lines.
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

Hey blue, I 've got no problem with MEA, even though I don't have it. In fact, it looks fantastic. What I'm really mad about is that I didn't get Uruk hai army while it was still out, which looked like the best Tolkien set ever produced :mad:.* sighs *. I guess I'll just have to BL eomer and the rohan warrior for those helmets and torsos.
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

I'm not complaining about the set, other than the king Elf's abnormally low ears. :roll:

I think a battle pack to me, would be like the forest Ambush set four figs and a few parts for $12.xx. I would rather buy 2-3 $12.xx battle packs containing four figs each than one $30.xx set with six figs (one who would be hard to army build with). This of course, is just my personal opinion.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
Sir Erathor
Landlord

Post by Sir Erathor »

I agree with SSchmidt. I have bought four of the Forest Ambush set to build up my armies, and I would happily do the same with a Middle-Earth set.
For the Glory of Loreos!
[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/122904323@N02]Flickr[/url]|[url=http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/92143]MOCpages[/url]|[url=http://thebricktavern.blogspot.co.uk/]The Brick Tavern[/url]
[img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-Liaison.png[/img] [img]http://www.roawia.byethost7.com/files/?file=Titles-Banners/Loreos/Loreos-03-Militia.png[/img]
Brickninja
Here there be dragons

Post by Brickninja »

I agree. If you do the math, 2 4 fig sets cost $24 and equal 8 figs, and 1 6 fig set costs $30 and equal
6 figs, so the better deal for army building is the 2 smaller battlepacks. On the other hand, on the $30 set, mirkwood elf army for example, you get more building bricks, and some kind of animal(last year's horse, this year's warg).
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

I don't think they are doing that with the Middle Earth sets. Too bad, because not just was the castle set nice, but the $12/4 figure set is a Star Wars (also licensed) standard. We could sit here and come up with 8 different version of that for Middle Earth that would be top sellers, but that just doesn't seem to be what Lego wants to do with this line. There's a lot of missed opportunities in these lines.
nanuck95
Court jester

Post by nanuck95 »

I agree that some battle-packs would be pretty cool, and there are some people who would buy them. The previous non-licensed battle-packs used to go for around $15 USD a few years back for 5 figures, so I understand your rationale for 4 figs for $12. However, pretty much all of the major licensed themes have been all about the figures. I don't know the ins-and-outs of how LEGO plans stuff, but they appear to understand that there are many people who are out there to collect the figs and will pay a lot of money for a large set with one unique figure in it. I have to imagine that figures are also rather expensive to produce since they have a lot more detail/painting than normal bricks. So, from a business perspective, it makes sense to me to spread the figures out as much as possible. I'm speculating that even though they would probably sell a ton of battle packs, the profit margin on a battle-pack isn't nearly as good as getting someone to buy a regular set.

All that being said, I think they are trying to appease the army-builders by offering sets like the Mirkwood Elf Army and the Uruk-hai army pack where you get a decent number of figures along with some regular bricks because there are tons of people who will stock-pile them to get a bunch of army-builder type figs, but you're still buying a $30 set. This is all speculation on my part, so I could be totally wrong. :D

As far as the sets go, I bought the smaller Beorn set and the MEA set but haven't put them together yet. Even though they look really cool, I only plan on buying one copy of the MEA just to get all the characters even though building an epic battle scene would be a ton of fun. The sets seem reasonably priced for a licensed theme, but I was surprised there are only 4 sets this year, possibly because they sort of made 2 DoS sets already last year. Regardless, they are a better alternative to the Castle line that is out, which I'm not interested in at all.
Purple Wolf
Hero
Hero

Post by Purple Wolf »

Today I got the 'Mirkwood Elf Army" and I must say I was pretty pleased with it. The wood elves I love but sadly the Orks are kinda boring especially since there almost identical to the others in the wave. Of course one of the best parts is the dark brown warg :tasty: As for the build it's kinda sad the walls are to short and it seems a little sloppy I do like that you can get more and make a larger place. For $35 Canadian six figs a warg and the wall I say it's a great deal and I'll probably get a second one.

Purple Wolf :)
There's always room for dessert.
brickshelf
"Trolls exist! They steal your socks but only the left ones whats with that?"
SSchmidt
Merchant

Post by SSchmidt »

Yeah I agree Purple Wolf, I thought the Orcs were kind of mediocre at best. The elves were awesome (the hoods more than anything). I loved the set at first, but the more I look at it, it is nothing special. Elves in a pattern similar to what we already had from the first wave and orcs who aren't too interesting. Eh, i'll soon forget about these guys I think.
PSN: SSchmidt-
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/lord-of-orks/map/rankings/copy_of_lionhearttorso.jpg[/img]
[img]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2807/9561546705_8f26947042_o.jpg[/img]
AK_Brickster
Admin
Admin

Post by AK_Brickster »

It's a great way to stock up on elves and pick up the new shields. The warg is the real highlight, but he'll probably be fairly affordable since the set isn't too pricy. I'm guessing they will go for about $6 on BL within a few months.
Plastics make it possible! (BrickLink) - My Flickr Stream
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

I just like the set from the elf standpoint. Great for hoods and torsos for my forestmen army! Cant wait to get acouple once i can afford lego !
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations