Your Favorite Castle Set Ever!

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
NovelNinja
Villein

Re: Your Favorite Castle Set Ever!

Post by NovelNinja »

The Medieval Market Village is definitely my favorite. I've bought seven copies of it over the years as parts bags, and one is currently still in its box. Not because I want to sell it. Just because I'm saving it. At some point, I'm either going to display it as-is in a future, more roomy home, or I might incorporate it into a full display after sufficient time has passed to make it seem cool and retro rather than lazy.

Though that time might be coming pretty soon. I found a copy at BrickFair VA this year, with all parts including minifigures, pre-assembled in a tub (no box), being sold by my favorite vendor for a rather delicious price. I snatched that one up, and then stuck it in my medieval town display. Someone -- not a Castle newbie -- didn't even notice that the buildings weren't MOCs until I mentioned it offhand. I figured it would be obvious to everyone, but I guess when they're slipped in between MOC buildings and accompanied by landscaping and crowd and market stalls, it's easy to miss when you're not expecting it.

Seeing the set alongside my MOC buildings was interesting. I'd never put it side-by-side with my own stuff before, even though I used the parts and I try for a very similar Tudor style. The buildings fit, but it also made me realize that I could do even better. That set has a level of detail and amount of parts that went far beyond the original price tag. I wish we could do more of that stuff rather than the crappy Nexo Knights.
Castle Theme Leader for BrickFair Virginia.
btfu149
Gong Farmer

Post by btfu149 »

6086 is easily the best IMO, I love all the cool unique pieces, the massive amount of figs and the design in general is just awesome.
stone forest
Gong Farmer

Post by stone forest »

My fave was the first ever lego castle I got, the King's Mountain fortress. It was my xmas present when I was about 7 or 8. It had everything. working drawbridge. working trapdoor. secret door. prison cell. basement for the treasure. It also had the ghost and princess figures. Female figures became very rare for castle sets, and I became quite sad when I lost the princess' skirt. I never got another one until the witch figure came out with the horror nights sets.
BrickJagger
Gong Farmer

Post by BrickJagger »

stone forest wrote:My fave was the first ever lego castle I got, the King's Mountain fortress. It was my xmas present when I was about 7 or 8. It had everything. working drawbridge. working trapdoor. secret door. prison cell. basement for the treasure. It also had the ghost and princess figures. Female figures became very rare for castle sets, and I became quite sad when I lost the princess' skirt. I never got another one until the witch figure came out with the horror nights sets.
King's Mountain Fortress is an amazing set. I got it a few years ago used and it's probably one of my favorite vintage sets.

Overall, my favorite set that I own is probably either the 2010 King's Castle or the Kingdoms Joust.
Diamondhairdan
Serf

Post by Diamondhairdan »

My first castle has sentimental reasons (and I still have some of the pieces) - the Black Falcon's Fortress from the mid-eighties https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalog ... conly%22:0}

The best from a technical perspective was probably the market village https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Medieval-Market-Village-10193 though not a castle it was of the standard they should have aspired to all along in my view
minoboys
Freeman

Post by minoboys »

I'd go with MMV and Mill Village Raid. Mill Village Raid is the only set that comes with a goat and MMV is one of three sets that comes with a cow. The MMV also has lots of Minifigures that are worth a lot.
minoboys
Freeman

Post by minoboys »

Mine is defiantly the Mill Village Raid 7189 or the Medieval Market. Both come with some great Minifigures and super expensive animals like the cows or the goats. Cows and goats are more than $50 each on bricklink when you include the postage. And the Minifigures well at present I don't really have.
JBM
Peasant

Post by JBM »

1. This is hard... I love them all, I mean the Black falcon fortress or other black falcon sets are very nice and my personal favorite,

2. I remember when they had castle blister packs those were great for building an army, I didn't get any but they looked like a good deal, with good price per minifigs. but set wise I think the new blacksmith shop is one of the best because of it has good parts and is well designed in a clean style.
Bishons
Apprentice
Location: The land where the sun beats hot and the kangaroos bounce 'round

Post by Bishons »

Definitely Medieval Market Village. I also like Kingdoms Joust 10223 and it always looks like its got lots of playability in it.
As minoboys said, Mill Village Raid has a number of GOATS and other animals. And if you don't have lots of knights, get the kingdoms chess 853373. The ONLY thing is the price tag is very fat now days. I suppose its what you get for trying to build medieval. :D
Bishons,

The key to good MOC building is a large brain and a kinda big wallet

My website: https://sites.google.com/view/bishons-lego-creations/home
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by Rick-Ricks »

I have very fond memories of the Royal Joust (6095), as far as sets that I owned this is probably my favorite.
ludzik
Steward

Post by ludzik »

At this point the Blacksmith set. Before it was the Village set.