LEGO Dimensions Game: Hope for New LOTR Sets? (Speculation)

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Chuck06
Peasant

LEGO Dimensions Game: Hope for New LOTR Sets? (Speculation)

Post by Chuck06 »

The announcement of Warner Bros.'s upcoming Skylanders' style video game, LEGO Dimensions, which features players interacting in "worlds" created from various intellectual properties, including Lord of the Rings, poses interesting possibilities for future sets.

Many of us were bummed by last-year's cancellation of The Hobbit and LOTR lines, but the game's inclusion of the LOTR IP indicates LEGO still holds license to make LOTR products. Further, the real-world figures that come as part of the game (hopefully not glued to bases) tell us LEGO will continue to produce LOTR-themed minifigs, at least on a limited basis, into the near future.

To believe that the game will generate a revival of LOTR is unrealistic. IIRC, the line was discontinued from poor sales, and if The Hobbit movies themselves couldn't generate the sales necessary to keep the line alive, I doubt a video game that stretches across multiple IP's could do so. If the line ever does return, I imagine it would be in response to new films, probably when Peter Jackson and New Line discover how to convince the Tolkien foundation to let them reap major cash from commercializing Tolkien's lesser-known works like The Children of Hurin or The Silmarilian.

However, if the game is successful enough, we might well see one or two new minifigs to help fill the gaps left in our collection by LOTR's untimely demise. In a best case scenario, as Bruce has suggested could be the case regarding The Wizard of OZ IP, we might get a LOTR set or a mash-up with other IPs as part of a LEGO Dimensions set line.

So while I'm not expecting anything big from this game for us Tolkien fans, it's nice to think we might have a treat or two to look forward to.

-Chuck
"In destinies sad or merry,
True men can but try"
-Sir Gawain and the Green Knight 564-5
Azaghal
Landlord

Re: LEGO Dimensions Game: Hope for New LOTR Sets? (Speculati

Post by Azaghal »

As it happens, we already know that a few LotR characters will be re-issued - Amazon has listings for Gimli, Gollum, and Legolas "Fun Packs", which appear, apart from the game-related content, to contain about a polybag's worth of parts. Unfortunately I don't see a ton of difference between the minifgures and their standard counterparts. :(