Elves Treetop Hideaway "Remix"

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lil_Curt
Steward

Elves Treetop Hideaway "Remix"

Post by Lil_Curt »

Hey guys so everyone has a problem with the newest line/ Theme from Lego. I am of Course speaking of the elves sets. Now this only took me about 30 minutes and is to show you that the sets have great potential! Here I present the Elves Treetop Hideaway - Remix "

Image Image

Now I can take this even farther but I wanted to show you all that with some Basic Extras, that this set is a great base. all in all the girl colors are really quite minimal, being about 75 pieces total, which includes leaves, and flowers. If you take those parts out of the equation because some of us use them anyways, the "Girl Parts" count is only around 30 or so :) And in case your wondering here are the "Girl Parts"

So Please post any comments you may have weather you like or dislike what has been done. Also Mods if this is in the wrong section please move :) thanks,

Lilcurt
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
dyntar
Foot Soldier

Re: Elves Treetop Hideaway "Remix"

Post by dyntar »

That looks great. I hadn't got around to changing the colours on mine yet but now I'm definitely going to do it. :D
Dubbadgrim
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by Dubbadgrim »

Although the pics are small, yours does look better overall. The official set is a bit flamboyant but I could still imagine the pink and purple used properly in a fantasy-style moc.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/110562270@N03/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dubbadgrim]Brickshelf[/url]
Wilfred of Ivanhoe
Peasant

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

I agree with your point here. These sets have a lot of potential. They just need the creative minds of the community. :)
athronieth
Laborer

Post by athronieth »

Clever color remix. Makes me wonder what other themes CCers might remix like this to good effect.
Quelta the Emerald Isle [url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=athronieth[/url]
ootkaman
Villein

Post by ootkaman »

You're right! I hadn't even thought of how many great pieces are in there
Lil_Curt
Steward

Post by Lil_Curt »

There are many great pieces in here. I am going to be getting another one or two sets. And we just finished drafting this set over at Merlins-beard.com . I am in the process of packageing and getting ready to shipout the parts since I was Host :)

Most of the sets in the elves theme are great once you get past the bright colors.
So Many Hobbies So Little Time....
Come Visit me on Facebook @ Atavistic Creations
NovelNinja
Villein

Post by NovelNinja »

And it's entirely possible to use those bright colors effectively. I've done some experiments combining Elves and LotR styles with the Ewok Village set. I'll hopefully have something to display in that vein next BrickFair VA. It should provide a nice contrast with the Tudor-style human town on the other side of the river. (The town gets priority, though, so depending on my free time over the next year the elves might have to wait until 2017. Stupid life getting in the way of important stuff . . .)
Castle Theme Leader for BrickFair Virginia.
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Please post pics of your Ewok/LOTR tree conversion. I've been thinking of doing this for some time, and would like to see how it would look done in a middle earth-style Elvish fashion.

I also love the looks of the Elves treehouse conversion! Trying decide between getting a couple of these for my LOTR elves, or blowing up on the Ewok version, hmm...
NovelNinja
Villein

Post by NovelNinja »

It's only a little experimentation at the moment. However, I'm planning on putting two Ewok Village platforms side-by-side (with a little modification to the tree trunks), and then have a spiral staircase inspired by what you see in The Fellowship of the Ring to connect with the ground rather than a ladder. The forest floor is going to be whatever feels natural, though I want a spring/pool of some kind, perhaps similar to the night elf moonwells in WoW in that I want it to have a mystical feel rather than look like it's there as a water source.

I'll also have a dock of some kind, at least eventually; I'm not sure what the design on that one will be, but I want to have a large navigable river between the human town and the elven village, so I need a dock of some kind. I might utilize one of the old 16x16 island baseplates to place one of the Ewok Village tree trunk pillars on, which would mean the village juts out over the water, and then rebuild those pillars to support a dock. Not sure. It's a nice idea, though.

I had to put them aside when I couldn't get it done for BrickFair, and I haven't worked on it just yet. I got new bins so I'm attempting more sorting, and I was fiddling with lighting techniques for the basement on my human tavern. My next experiment is supposed to be terrain, as there's a new technique that popped up at BrickFair this year involving nets as the basis for plates and titles, which allow for greater flexibility; I want to use it for terrain, and hopefully to get it to work before someone else in my LUG does it. :P Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.

And then I have a show at the National Air & Space Museum, so I should build a moonbase. But that's not Classic Castle, and so we shall not speak of it. :wink:

But I promise, I will get on to that elven village. I just wish I had the free time and working hands (I have arthritis, can't even grip a pen or pencil for more than five minutes, and I'm constantly dropping bricks) to do all the stuff in my head.

I can tell you what's working, though. Use light tan, dark tan, and reddish brown for the wood colors, and then add in the accent colors from the Elves sets to make each treetop "hut/house" look different. Then just vary the building elements and you've got different little homes in the trees. What doesn't seem to work quite as well is all the purple and pink branches, but a few of those work as accents rather than a standard color; you can make them serve the same purpose as blossoms, to break up the color-monotony and seem like the tree-branch equivalent of putting a wild azalea bush in your front garden.

What I might wind up doing is getting a third Ewok Village set to serve as a higher layer, supported over the other two platforms; but that would require more planning, and I'm not sure how to manage the transition properly; the spiral staircase design requires a bit of clearance at the moment, and building a second one for the second level might be a trick.
Castle Theme Leader for BrickFair Virginia.
Grover
Peasant

Post by Grover »

What a great idea! I had mostly dismissed the Elves/Friends sets without really thinking about their potential once the pastel colors had been removed, but now I will have to reexamine them. Thanks for sharing!
adamsonofwilliam
Serf

Post by adamsonofwilliam »

The Elves theme does have some really nice elements to it. I wouldn't discount the candy-colouredness all together.