Weekly Set Review: Black Knight

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
ThomasBrickheim
Serf

Post by ThomasBrickheim »

This was one of my early sets from the pre-dark-age. I loved the heavy armed knight. especially the helmet with plumes and the ovoid shield. After my dark age i was able to buy 4 or 5 more of those. Three of them are now riding a horse with a dragon-print horse-barding (is this correct english? :? anyway) and with a dragon horse head. That really looks awesome.
But about this set, it's great because of its knight, and its armor. nice to have :D

Brickheim
"And He said:"Let there be bricks!" And there were bricks."
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

That set along with the Samurai horseman is the best way to build up a large medieval European or in the Samurai's case feudal Japanese cavalry army.

I wish they would make a set like this again, but with the horse wearing the battle helmet and barding. It'd be a heavy cavalry soldier or "paladin".
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Great set. I wish I'd been buying LEGO at the time.

Could someone with a box post a scan of the alternate models? I'm intrigued. I can't imagine what alternates you could make.

Bruce
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Sorry, no scanner. One of the models had the knight with a 2 X 1 grey brick between his legs and torso. He was really tall. :P

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Sets Admin to the rescue!

Here is a picture of the alternate (Thanks to Jojo)

Enjoy!

Ben E.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

NI!

NI!

:D
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

Great set. I was in a 'mostly dark age' at the time but I remember buying multiple copies of this set. Minifig armies are fun.:D
TheMightyTwoAxe
Serf

Post by TheMightyTwoAxe »

This was a great set. It really allowed the creation of 'black knights' what with the black visor.
JPinoy said:
"I wish they would make a set like this again, but with the horse wearing the battle helmet and barding."
I agree, that would definitely rock.
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Umm... Is that a statue or a ridiculasly tall knight?
Knight Of Weaselton
Gong Farmer

Post by Knight Of Weaselton »

I was nought' but two years of age when this was released, so I do not own this set. However I don't need to own the set to say it was a great one. To me that is the best fig' someone could own. How I long for breastplates and pointed visors! Lego really needs to make a new set like this one(along with a new line of Castle sets of course!) Long live fully armored Knights!

-The Weasel
"Hey stupid looking kid! How would you like to make your fortu- Nah, kid, I'm down here..."
-The Amazing Maurice (Terry Pratchett)
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey, I like the giant knight. "Ni!" indeed.

Thanks for posting the pic. Th challenge of coming up with an alternate model reminds me of some of those Star Wars storytellers. I'm generally down on sets that have limited build-ability, but this one would more properly be called a minifig pack, like the packs of 3 Star Wars figs, or that little box with 5 Ninja figs. As a minifig pack, this one was pretty amazing. If we do have a new castle theme in 2004 I hope they have some small sets like this for army building.

Bruce
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

LEGOFREAK wrote:NI!

NI!

:D
How horrible am I?

finally understood that now! :oops:

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Just an excellent army builder that you don't have to really make any changes to. Oh, perhaps it would be nice to have a horse barding, but you don't have to add armor, or replace 20 useless crowns - how many kings do you need, for heaven's sake? I pick these up whenever I can find them for a decent price, and I can only wish that they would rerelease it or make a modern equivalent.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Is this a joke ? Did Lego made this picture (architect or Jojo) as an alternate model ?

This is set is good, because they created ovals shields. This is a nice addition to castle. But this set is really to much simple. No much possible alternate models. This set his only an addition for those who have already castle sets. You can't start with Lego castle with this set.

This helmet is a bit too big in my taste and I hate to think that they remplaced previous castle helmets. This cause I can't play with both of them. This kind of thing put confusion in my head, and disturb my Lego world. So I can't put 1990-1993 sets with 1984-1990 sets. :?

It has a nice look however.
8/10
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Is this a joke ? Did Lego made this picture (architect or Jojo) as an alternate model ?
Yes, Jojo based this photo on a picture on the back of the 6009 box. (Jojo bases most of his set photos on the arrangement of the figures and sets on boxes)

This is an alternate model - and not too bad in my opinion because of the limited number of pieces.
This helmet is a bit too big in my taste and I hate to think that they remplaced previous castle helmets.
These helmets are larger. I like the fact that they are stronger than the 375 helmets. I think that knights do not look good with this helmet unless they have a breastplate. If they do not, it just looks like they have a giant head. :D

Ben E
Sets Admin