Which Castle sets should I get??

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
btfu149
Gong Farmer

Which Castle sets should I get??

Post by btfu149 »

I'm now 26 years old and recently have been overcome with a desire to go to my parents and grab my old Legos and start building my old castle sets. I really LOVED the 92-95 era and had all the Dark Forest and Fright Knights as well. I was kind of joking about getting the old sets I never had until I went out the other day and drunkenly purchased 6082 Fire Breathing Fortress on the good ole' auction site for 75 bucks with the box and instructions.

I'm looking at:
6086 Black Knights Castle
6075 Wolfpack Tower
6076 Dark Dragons Den
6090 Royal Knights Castle
6038 Wolfpack Renegades
6044 King's Carriage

I'm going to try to inventory and rebuild my old sets:
6078 Royal Knights Drawbridge
All the Dark Forest
6097 Bat Lords Castle
6099 Traitor Transport
1906 Majisto's Tower
6057 Sea Serpent

What other good old school sets should I consider?
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Re: Which Castle sets should I get??

Post by Bluesecrets »

My suggestion may be off...but those sets have old grey, which is not made anymore. Being older, they may be pretty spendy. If it was me, I'd get the instructions and then bricklink the parts to make the sets. The figs...those are pretty easy to get a hold of. Old grey...might not be too hard but it may not be as cheap as bley.

Other than that, buy what you like the most. Some people thrill with glee to get a dream set. If that's the case, go for it!
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
btfu149
Gong Farmer

Post by btfu149 »

Just browsing Bricklink, it seems very useful! I found Royal Knights Castle on Craigslist for under 100 bucks too with box and instructions but it is about 95% complete. I may do that and see what I can replace myself and Bricklink the rest.
Bluesecrets

Post by Bluesecrets »

Bricklink is good and addictive. Plus at the LEGO websites you can get instructions for sets, which can be useful. Ebay sometimes has a good deal on older sets. Sometimes having a friend in other countries (like the UK) makes eBay even nicer.

In our buy, sell, trade forum, you can try and trade for things which can be really helpful if you are looking for specific figs.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I recommend focusing on the more affordable sets when starting your collection. Many of the Dragon Masters, Royal Knights, and Fright Knight sets have reasonable prices. Knights Kingdom I sets are also priced well.

For the older sets prior to 1993, I suggest patience and looking for deals. Many list prices seem to be inflated for classic sets.

Ben
En_Zoo
Villein

Post by En_Zoo »

lolol this is exactly the situation I was in around 4 months ago, pretty much even the same sets! xD

sooo, well I do second what has been said above: don't go crazy (if u can, I couldn't.. :oops: ) and try and be patient, if u go through BL or even Ebay u might bump into a nice deal for a whole lot of those with time.

BUT, if u can't make it then I'd personally avoid Dark Dragon's Den - it's nothin special. If u want a carriage then avoid the king one and go for wolfpack one instead. Wolfpack Tower again nothin special brickwise: if u like those outlaws (I do), I suggest u grab a couple of minifigs and then u'll definitely be able to built it up using bricks from other sets.

now, Black Knight and Royal castles are a different thing, they do have some specific parts such as the red panels and the flag (the former) and the blue slopes (the latter), but again it's nothin u can't find on BL. I suppose the most expensive part for the latter could be the baseplate, but I haven't actually checked.

I also must admit, those 2 castles are actually 2 of those I've always wanted, so they're still in my mind :P

as for the Old Grey vs Bley, I'm a fan of the old one so I've actually checked few times: I confirm the old one is quite more expensive. Though, I see good deals for old castle sets as a good occasion to get my hands on big quantities of those lovely Old Gray bricks at a relatively cheap price.

conclusion --> just a matter of checkin/comparin/addin up prices and see what's cheaper. else u can just not care and.. u know, follow ur heart :halo:
My [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/138833402@N08/]Flickr[/url]
btfu149
Gong Farmer

Post by btfu149 »

En_Zoo wrote:lolol this is exactly the situation I was in around 4 months ago, pretty much even the same sets! xD

sooo, well I do second what has been said above: don't go crazy (if u can, I couldn't.. :oops: ) and try and be patient, if u go through BL or even Ebay u might bump into a nice deal for a whole lot of those with time.

BUT, if u can't make it then I'd personally avoid Dark Dragon's Den - it's nothin special. If u want a carriage then avoid the king one and go for wolfpack one instead. Wolfpack Tower again nothin special brickwise: if u like those outlaws (I do), I suggest u grab a couple of minifigs and then u'll definitely be able to built it up using bricks from other sets.

now, Black Knight and Royal castles are a different thing, they do have some specific parts such as the red panels and the flag (the former) and the blue slopes (the latter), but again it's nothin u can't find on BL. I suppose the most expensive part for the latter could be the baseplate, but I haven't actually checked.

I also must admit, those 2 castles are actually 2 of those I've always wanted, so they're still in my mind :P

as for the Old Grey vs Bley, I'm a fan of the old one so I've actually checked few times: I confirm the old one is quite more expensive. Though, I see good deals for old castle sets as a good occasion to get my hands on big quantities of those lovely Old Gray bricks at a relatively cheap price.

conclusion --> just a matter of checkin/comparin/addin up prices and see what's cheaper. else u can just not care and.. u know, follow ur heart :halo:
I actually looked at Dark Dragons Den and I agree, it's actually rather poor. Just a bunch of the large rock pieces really. I finally got Fire Breathing Fortress in the mail the other day and it was a thrill, I had always wanted that set. The set I've always wanted more than anything else is 6086 Black Knights Castle, followed closely by the Royal Knights Castle and the Wolfpack Tower. I know the Wolfpack Tower isn't that big or imposing but I think it looks cool and I always loved the Wolfpack. I remember the only Wolfpack figure I had before getting the one with Fire Breathing Fortress was the one from the Medieval Knights pack that had the shield too, when I was 5 and I was playing with my Legos, that figure always was victorious in his fights because I just thought the wolf shield was so cool!
Wilfred of Ivanhoe
Peasant

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Those are all cool classic sets. They had a darker, more medieval feel back then. I actually have the 6075 Wolfpack Tower and would be interested in selling/trading if you are interested. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are interested.