Any information on these shields?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Gong Farmer

Any information on these shields?

Post by 1974 »

Hi there CC fellows :sly:

I recently got some shields that's quite baffling to me? Now, the tiger was know to the Crusaders as it was natural to Anatolia and "the holy land" back in those days, but it's not common seen in heraldy afaik. The mighty lion seem to the animal of choice :D

First sorry for the poor pic, but the background is tan, the shields are printed on old dark grey and the printing is blue (not dark blue) and yellow. They're 100% genuine LEGO parts and at least 15 years old

[img]http://www.blacktronite.com/odd_108_CC.jpg[/img]

I wonder what theme TLG had in mind for those parts?

Anyone got a clue?

Cheers,

Ole
Azaghal
Landlord

Re: Any information on these shields?

Post by Azaghal »

If you're sure about the origin, my first guess would be some kind of non-US advertising promo. Second guess is Knights Kingdom II* prototyping.

*Good grief, was that theme already almost fifteen years ago?
Gong Farmer

Post by 1974 »

They came pretty much straight from Billund so I'm sure they're legit. I have a lot of weird parts like those :sly:

Can't be KKII as they're all used the new bluish greys and that theme debuted only 12 years ago

They do seem similar to the Royal Knights with a bit more detailing. Perhaps a counter faction that never got beyond prototyping?

Cheers,

Ole
soccerkid6
Admin
Admin

Post by soccerkid6 »

Pretty nifty shields wherever they came from 8)
John 14:6, Jesus answered, "I am the way the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Brickbuilt: http://www.brickbuilt.org/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacsnyder/
Wilfred of Ivanhoe
Peasant

Post by Wilfred of Ivanhoe »

Are you sure they were printed by TLG? I have seen some very well done customs. Just wondering. They do look authentic though.
Frank_Lloyd_Knight
Steward

Post by Frank_Lloyd_Knight »

With tigers usually being more important in Asian countries, I wonder if these might have been intended for one of the ninja or explorer-styled sets rather than for castles and knights. They might even have been intended for a zoo or a circus set.
En_Zoo
Villein

Post by En_Zoo »

soccerkid6 wrote:Pretty nifty shields wherever they came from 8)
I second SK, wouldn't mind to put my hands on a couple of those..
My [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/138833402@N08/]Flickr[/url]
Gong Farmer

Post by 1974 »

Wilfred of Ivanhoe wrote:Are you sure they were printed by TLG? I have seen some very well done customs. Just wondering. They do look authentic though.
Sorry for the late reply guys :woo:

Yes, I know for a fact they're genuine LEGO parts. No doubt about it 8)

They we're made sometime around '95-00. Unfortunally I do not kow what theme they might have been used in

I have quite a lot of parts like that including weapons/minfig accesories that was never released in official sets

Cheers,

Ole
Gong Farmer

Post by 1974 »

Frank_Lloyd_Knight wrote:With tigers usually being more important in Asian countries, I wonder if these might have been intended for one of the ninja or explorer-styled sets rather than for castles and knights. They might even have been intended for a zoo or a circus set.
I had similar thoughts as tigers seem a bit "off" in the castle world. Anyone know of actual heraldy using tigers?

Cheers,

Ole