Post by James »

James Stacey
------
www.minifig.co.uk
I'm a citizen of Legoland travellin' Incommunicado
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Hmmm. I'm asking me. It's like a combination between Harry Potter sets, Fright Knights and Royal Kingdoms sets...

I imagine it was not suppose to be realistic. The 8779 set for example. If I remember well, motors didn't exist in medieval time. On 8780 there is green and purple armor !!! What is this ! And 8780 had a bad looking.
8781 has a nice not bad looking however, but blue and red armor are also very strange. And what is this catapult(8777) ???

What Lego Group is trying to do ? I don't understand. Worste than worste. I'm disappointed. There is so much good creators in Lego Castle community. I don't understand why they put things like this on market. Lego group is lost and we can't do much for them, except complain.

I was hoping nice sets when they said there will be castle in 2004, but now I'm more than disappointed. :cry:

I don't understand Lego point of view. They should explain us
Last edited by David Girard on Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

I aggre James! Thanks for the link. Multi coloured armour, :cry: !!!! Multi coloured weapons, :cry: !!! Some decent pieces for castle building, although it almost looks white (very light grey) It is obviously the minifig rendition of the Galiknights, meant to carry the story. I can't see me spending anything on these.....well maybe on sale but I can't see the value of an army of blue armoured knights :?
Troy T. Moore
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

what the....??
Those colors for the figs... I don't know. Maybe you have to see it for real.
I like the bardings for the horses (are those called bardings?)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

This can't be for real...?
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Yes the bardings are nice. The shields look strange. I don't know how to explain it. The shield looks like space or native people Lego shield ??.

And they put scorpions on many sets. So maybe it's not supposed to be european medieval castle... Something put me to think it's like Conan the barbarian...

There is many nonsense things. Did they asked themselves if it was OK to make things like this ?

As Kev said, it seem impossible. Is this for real ? :?
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: new sets

Post by footsteps »

James wrote:nice pieces, rubbish sets

http://www.minifig.co.uk/temp/legoKnights2004.jpg
Agreed. As sets these leave much to be desired - though there are certain design treatments that look interesting and could be incorporated into MOCs. But as parts packs they are chock full of interesting stuff.

Chrome Gold Large Sword (8781)
Chrome Gold Small Sword (8777, 8780)
new Great Axe (8779)
Euro armour in Red (8778, 8781), Blue (8780, 8777, 8781), Green (8780, 8781), and Lt.Blue? (8781)
new Black Helmet with cheek protectors (8778, 8781)
3x4x6 wall with window bar insert
Brown BURPs and LURPs
lotsa slopes and inverse slopes

In terms of parts, 8778 and 8780 look the most interesting.

I'll be interested to learn what the $/pc ratio is on these sets. That's the "deal breaker/maker" for me.

So far, I'll declare the glass "half full", though others may think it "half empty".

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

footsteps wrote:

So far, I'll declare the glass "half full", though others may think it "half empty".

Alan
I agree here - I think there are a lot of interesting pieces. Maybe not so many as we would like for realistic castles, but many for the fantastical castles. and ok - those motorcycle looking joust things are weird, but the rounds will make nice wheels for siege engines. All in all - bad for realistic castle builders, but great for parts.

Yay - we have new parter sets. :D

Freak

(ps - Hey Anthony - there are new shield shapes! *hint hint, wink nudge wink hint* :D )
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

footsteps wrote:

Agreed. As sets these leave much to be desired - though there are certain design treatments that look interesting and could be incorporated into MOCs. But as parts packs they are chock full of interesting stuff.

Chrome Gold Large Sword (8781)
Chrome Gold Small Sword (8777, 8780)
new Great Axe (8779)
Euro armour in Red (8778, 8781), Blue (8780, 8777, 8781), Green (8780, 8781), and Lt.Blue? (8781)
new Black Helmet with cheek protectors (8778, 8781)
3x4x6 wall with window bar insert
Brown BURPs and LURPs
lotsa slopes and inverse slopes

In terms of parts, 8778 and 8780 look the most interesting.

I'll be interested to learn what the $/pc ratio is on these sets. That's the "deal breaker/maker" for me.

Alan
I always buy LEGO sets for parts, not for the set itself and 8778 looks great! I'm guessing $20 for some decent figs and great pieces/weapons. The rest of the sets: :x :x :x :x
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
adm_matthew
Journeyman

Post by adm_matthew »

I *like* them! Looks like LEGO is making a LOTR line after all... ;)
Kev
Bailiff

Post by Kev »

Those black helms are great, and the colored classic visors & breast plates are okay, too, but those other helms seem implausible - I think they will be welcomed by the Space guys. I also think the shield shape is also wrong, and though I reallyreally like the fact that they're going for many different crests, I wish they would still incorporate them on classic triangle & oval shields. Too bad they forgo the modular for what is best seen as a sequel near-renaissance version of Knights Kingdom 1.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I like the new figs, horse battle helmets, shields, and bardings. They're new and consdering that I convert all my Castle, Pirates, Wild West and Star Wars figs into Ancients Theme, they're OK by me! :D

If you look closely the knights have new armor, it looks like the leg guard armor from the Black Knights and Crusaders line. The black armor looks good though, ancient soldiers tend to have some for of distinctive design on their armor.

Those swords.... Im deciding whether they'd be of any use for my Ancients.

The shields would be awesome for Roman style shields,tall and broad. That Bardings.... those would be sooooo useful for my cavalry soldiers, I have 22 factions and most of them have horses, I don't like repeating those red saddles for 3 different factions. The blue horse hemlets would be awesome for Kahilwayan Generals and Cavalry Commanders.

A lot of Scorpions... Scorpion King anyone? :twisted:

Whew.... I was so ready to d@mn the Lego set designers to Megablocks for turning castle into Bionicle/Galidor, but these new System style sets saved their souls. :lol:
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

JPinoy wrote: The shields would be awesome for Roman style shields,tall and broad.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw those too. I also thought that the helmet the guy holding the axe in 8781 was wearing would also work...
Freak
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Two reactions: I'm happy to see Castles return in some fashion; I'm disappointed to see it is KK Redux.

What made Castle's great is still gone, Juniorization is still in. All I liked from KK Part One were the figs. A few parts. I never bought the castle - quite honestly, I'd rather buy two Black Falcon's castles. More figs, more parts, better castle, especially with two of them. Same deal again.

We have the Rainbow Knights (in profusion) against the Bad Scorpions. No bull (pun intended). You always need more bad guys than good guys - how are they supposed to be heroic when they outnumber the bad guys two to one?

Symbols. Scorpion: Okay. Kinda cool in its own way. Yet Another Lion: Time to lay in a stock of Brasso and fire up the sticker printer!

Shields. Skimped on - that hideous jousting match has neither shields nor horses. Which brings up another point, noted below. The shields are closer to roman than medieval, which is fine by me.

Horses. Buy all five sets and you have a grand total of two horses. Pathetic.

Helmets. Kinda blurry to be really sure, but the Scorpion open faced helmet looks like a good addition. I'm not so sure about the closed helmet, but since I consider variety A Good Thing, I'll go with the flow. The colors, though - knights did paint their armor, but not with colors that belong in the Barbie aisle at the toy store.

Armor. Well, lots of it at least! Thank heavens I have plenty of common foot soldiers because these consist of nothing but the elite! Not a single archer or crossbowman. None. Zip. Nada. It looks like the armor has designs printed on it. The worst that presents is more Brasso, so I don't have a problem with that. The rainbow colors are more disturbing, but I suppose that I'll just start painting again if I can't stand it, so I won't moan too much. Hopefully there will be a $2-$3 cheapy added with the new open faced helmet guy as an archer of some kind.

Weapons. An oversized fantasy sword, which would be okay except for the funky colors. A new pole arm, which would be nice if I saw it in more than just the one set.

The Sets

8777. $5 - $8. If it's five, I'll buy a bunch of these. Two armored knights, a horse with barding, new helmets, and a catapult with A Christmas Story ammo ("You'll put your eye out with a 1x1 round, kid!"). Army builder if they don't gouge on the price.

8778. $10 - $12. "None shall pass!" Kinda cool. A brown BURP, open faced helmet, new sword in a non-hideous color. I'll be buying this one, but serious buying may have to wait for some kind of sale.

8779 . $20. Cool big banners. Powder blue knight? Wheeled contraptions? No fair lady in attendence? No horses? Even worse than the previous jousting match. Strictly parts - it's the sales bin or I'll spend my money elsewhere.

8780. $50. Minifig skimping. A stinky four in what is the traditional $50 set? Cheap column pieces, but at least I feel like I could work with what is there. But at $50, the Black Falcon's castle is such a better deal that I'll have to wait for sales.

8781. $90. Yes, now we are down to 7 minifigs in the big castle set, with all of two guys trying to take a castle defended by 5, and no siege set to try and balance it out. Looks like some of those girly-knights are gonna be drafted to the other side. It has the open-airy construction that is good for getting hands into and playing with, but lousy for looking like a real castle. Another major castle that I probably will forego unless heavily discounted.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

The colors, though - knights did paint their armor, but not with colors that belong in the Barbie aisle at the toy store.
[/quote]

THAT is funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What is Brasso? Painting the armour is an option, I guess...[/quote]
Troy T. Moore