The new castle-building part

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
rogue27
Admin
Admin

The new castle-building part

Post by rogue27 »

What do people think of those new 12x12 building parts in 8780? I am referring to the brown parts at the bottom, the black ones at the height of the bridge, and the dark grey piece near the top. From what I can tell, they appear to be like this if you look straight down at one:

Code: Select all

GG        GG
GBBBTTTTBBBG
 B        B 
 B        B 
 T        T 
 T        T 
 T        T 
 T        T 
 B        B 
 B        B 
GBBBTTTTBBBG
GG        GG
**EDIT**
After looking at it again, I think the whole center of this piece is solid brick, so the white square in the middle should be filled with Bs. Unfortunately, I like it less that way.
**/EDIT**

It is a conglomeration of parts melded into one piece. The Ts represent 1x4 technic bricks, the Bs represent plain brick parts, and the G represents bricks with that vertical groove in the middle.

I generally dislike these crazy juniorized pieces when they can be made from several smaller parts, but I do think these could be useful for building 12x12 castle towers, and the technic holes could be used to add design elements, crests, banners, or just to connect modular tower sections together. I think this part will prove to be very useful.

For example, if you put one of those parts about 6-8 studs above ground in a tower and put a door or opening in one of the sides, you could easily connect a bridge or some other type of walkway using technic pins, and if you had a series of different towers and wall sections, they could be easily interchanged to reconfigure the design of a castle with little effort.

I still think 8780 has a terrible design, but it appears to have a lot of potentially useful parts. I want to get a better look at it when it's available.
Last edited by rogue27 on Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

I'm not a fan of premolded piece, but I'm agree it could be an interesting piece for construction. I didn't see it before. If you look carefully there is 5 of this pieces in this set. 2 blacks, 2 brown and a drak gray.

What is interesting, is that is just the good size to put 2 walls piece on it. :wink:
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

You're right - it is just the right size for two wall pieces. I didn't even think that. I'll have to experiment with those parts when I am able to get a few. I think they could add a lot of strength and flexibility to the things I build.

They could be useful for terrain building, because you could use them as part of a frame inside of a large hill or mountain.

The base of a war machine could be made from one or two of these parts - they have the holes where wheels could be attached. Maybe two of the brown ones could be the beginning of a very large wheeled catapult. If I fiddle around with some technic parts I could probably make a firing catapult.

I have lots of ideas in my head right now.
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Post by LEGOFREAK »

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=30645

On lugnet someone posted that this was left over from jack stone.

might be juniorized, but still looks interesting for us..

:D
LF
Stephen
Laborer

Post by Stephen »

It looks like the slots in the corners are just the right width for a portcullis too.

Stephen
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

My son has the Jack Stone sets, I am not sure if the spacing is right. I will check tomorrow and take a picture of the piece. I have never had the inclination to use any of the parts from the Jack Stone sets myself, but I am curious to see if it would be worthwhile.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.