Weekly Set Review: Bull's Attack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

I never got this set, although I did get all the figs and some of the other parts from a thrift store for $3.00. I like the figs from this set and that's all I can say :D
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I remember looking at this set in the year 2000’s catalogue, and I thought that it might be fun to play with, especially if I had a friend opponent, and I would siege his castle. That was 6 years ago, when I was 13; now, I wouldn't dream of buying this set for its own qualities. I would buy it for minifigs (although there are pathetically few of them), for the parts, and for the prison section of the main vehicle. In itself, the set is hardly worth anything, especially if it has less minifigs than vehicles. The vehicles are quite well designed, but I don't like the colour scheme and the wheels' new design, it looks much worse than the old design. The main vehicle looks rather flimsy, and unsteady, and it seems unsuitable for its purpose; however, its prison is quite good, and would be useful in Lego castles and MOCs. The ballista is very juniorised, it's like an anti-aircraft missile launcher, and is the only siege engine I dislike in there.
Like the set we reviewed a couple of weeks ago, the coloured knights' fort (a wall section with gates and three defenders), this set lacks a counterpart.
Overall,
Parts: 8/10
Playability: 9/10 (provided there is a fort to siege)
Figs/Accessories: 5/10
Design: 6/10
Nostalgia: 2/10 (it was slightly after my time)

Average score: 6/10
Not a great set, very mediocre.
Fenneke-Jose
Peasant

Post by Fenneke-Jose »

I Think this set was overpriced, but one of the better sets of Knight Kingdom! I Really like the armory. But if there is no castle to attack? If you bought King Leo's Castle they Could attack that. But all sets after 1998 (Freights Knight's serie) didn't become better!
The Classic sets where a lot better!

José
The dark tide
Gentleman

Post by The dark tide »

I think this was one of the best sets ever! I agree the price was a little high and it should have had more men but the pieces in it are all valuable. It comes with a lot of large shields and the helmets are my favorite as is this faction.
wunztwice
Knight Bannerett

Post by wunztwice »

Hmm, I don't own this set, but I've thought about it (off ebay at low prices) several times.

The parts don't look excellent, but ot horrible. But the number of figs is stunningly low! Three to push, operate, and successfully siege a castle? Not today Johnny...

Overall I don't think this set should be worth any more than $20, and more figs should have definately been included.
in His grip, Chris

Feed my hobby? [url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=wunztwice]My Bricklink[/url]

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/wunztwice]My Flickr![/url]
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/wunztwice/]My Brickshelf![/url](not updated...)
<><
Webrain
Journeyman

Crap!!!

Post by Webrain »

A ridicules catapult, the trebchest is useless, the cannon is pretty decent, the Seige tower is nice

I hate the fact they used so many door frames.
They used the big wheels which are maybe usefull for Seige towers (I really prefer them in 2 plate high rather then BULK) but that only, LEGO always have to carry away.

This is suppose to be the banner set for bull's so no actuall fortress, bahhh

As for minifigs well the KK Leo soldier at 1st was pretty rare to get at first but afterward LEGO floated with him as well.
Cool rare flag as well.

It would have been a nice set if they only took the Seige Tower and add to it a nice fortress
DanDanLegoman
Freeman

Post by DanDanLegoman »

I never owned this set (it came out during my LEGO dark age), but it looks great. The colors, the flags, and the axes all look so pretty.

You guys might be right about play value though.
supernova
Journeyman

Post by supernova »

got a few of this sets at a really cheap sale so im not complaining about the price.

as with other sets in KKI, there is insufficient substance in the set: while not a bad selection of siege weapons, the set itself has very little playability
not to mention that it really doesn't look that good either
i was hoping for a bigger set as the bulls knights' keep/hideout/castle, so the siege weapons were kinda disappointing.
~~ Supernova ~~

Good trades with: Chrislad77, kelderic, Strider, Unknown Knight and ZIGGY!
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

This set came out right as I was just starting to get into Legos, so I never got one. However, my brother got one for Christmas, so I got to play with it.

Good Points:
-Overall, I think that this set looks cool.
-It has good minifigs.

Bad Points:
-Cruddy battering ram.
-Use of technic cannon.
-Not evough minifgs.

Overall
-6/10

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Not a great set, but not bad either. I like the assortment of siege weapons, although the cannon takes away from the early medieval aura that is present in many other LEGO themes. Overall, 7/10
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

I bought a few of these on sale way back and was pleasantly surprised by a set I had written off, but the surprise was only pleasant at $20 each, at full price 'shock' may have been a better description of my reaction! But bought cheaply enough it was a nice spare parts pack not in danger of winning any design awards...

As to the prisoner in the ram, I remember laughing at the time and then it struck me just how hard it would be to pour boiling oil on your own comrade in arms while defending the walls. Is this the bulls (and Lego) at their sickest? ; )

God Bless,

Nathan
zac_schmitt
Freeman

Post by zac_schmitt »

i'm kind of fond of this set, or, i should say, i would be if it there were a castle to attack. releasing this and no castle is a really strange decision on lego's part. part of what's good about new sets like battle at the pass, which has a castle and some relatively small siege equipment, and knight's castle wall, which i purchased packaged with vladek's siege tower. both are really very cool. i like this set, despite the lackluster design already noted, if used in conjunction with a castle i already have. the lack of minifigs doesn't bother me too much, although of course i'd like more.

i also like the bull knights quite a bit, maybe because i never had them and always wanted them. they're possibly my favorite part, besides the dwarf blacksmith (who i wish had come with a hagrid beard) of the new royal king's castle.
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

I got this 25 for dollars, it was very fun to play if have castle to attack!
7/10
I am a man leniet to all lego sets :) Gooday to all
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

I don't have it, so I can't comment on the quality of the siege engines. However, you get a good array of weapons that could be used to attack a fortification of some sort. Overall, a good set, although I'm sure most of our members could probably make a better series of siege weapons.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

This set has some useful colours, which makes it useful for castle building. I do love the torsos. I have tried to acquire more of these torsos, for various characters and factions in my castle world. The siege equipment is very impressive and any army builder would have to think twice before not acquiring this set for the his/her army.

Overall, this is a very good set.

Rating: 8/10