Weekly Set Review: Dual Defender

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

Decent selection of parts. Two Black Knights (One of the last decent factions), and a reasonable price.

Memo to KKII designers:

This is how you properly design a entry level set!!

8/10

Later.
Dusty
Apprentice

Post by Dusty »

I like this set. I like the fact that it has two figures and some weapons and a shield. I dodnt know the original price because I got mine off of bricklink. It seems like an army building set.

Dusty
quiksand
Peasant

Post by quiksand »

Awesome set. I bought a few of these when they came out. What I would do with a time machine though.....

Great minifigs, quite a few weapons, just a well rounded, complete little set. It's also a great army builder. I always used my blue chainmail torsos for the Black Falcons though, because they were always out numbered two to one against my Black Knights. For reals they should make more beginner sets like these!

My rating: 10/10
Why do you need all those minifigs? You'll poke your eye out!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Nice little army builder set. Also another example of the Lego designers' catapult fetish... Maybe that is a requirement to work there?

Lego Job Application Question #52(b):

"Are you turned on by catapults? (Please check one): _ Yes. _ No. (Note, answering no, does not necessarily disqualify you from employment, we still have openings in our trapdoor department.) If you answered yes, please elaborate: __________."

Ideal Answer:

"Are you turned on by catapults? (Please check one): x Yes. _ No. (Note, answering no, does not necessarily disqualify you from employment, we still have openings in our trapdoor department.) If you answered yes, please elaborate: Yes, very much so. I've made my wife dress up like a catapult at least once a week. Oh, and don't even get me started on those oh so sexy double catapults." :lol:

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

So my wife and I are travelling back from her parents place in 1993..... We stop at a Woolco store (they were a chain here in Canada before Walmart bought the chain in mid 90's) I found 3 of these there and wasn't even aware they were available. I bought them all and would have bought more. Yes, yes, too many turntable pieces, but THE FIGS :D :D :D

At least the catapult arms and bucket were not one piece.
Troy T. Moore
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Mmmhhhh... Another catapult! Again! :?

But as it has been said, this one has a sober and utility design. It is realistic while provinding a good playability. And it has no "stupid" torches or weapon on its side.

And two nice minifigs!

So:8.5/10
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I haven't had this set, but would have liked to have a few. It came out when I was in Grad School - Zero money, books and food only. I think it would be a great addition to a collection. I would probably buy a bunch just for the Figs. I am not much on catapults so that doesn't make me jump about.
8/10
SirBert
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
erikut
Steward

Post by erikut »

this is a real awesome set if i had the chanseto but it in lardge qantatys i would have baugth a 100 or something around then i would have a really decent size army.
owerall i would give what ive seen of this set a 7 of 10 because of the not rally good looking cataults.

Erik
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

It's all been said but, lemme just chime in anyway...

This set is one of those little sets that is cool - you know what I mean... how many dumb little sets have you come across in your castle collecting days? They are all trying to achieve what this one did... cheap, easy, cool. ;-)

Oh... and..
take the catapult off the green baseplate and put it ontop of the walls on a castle
Agreed! I do this from time to time, if the castle has just right place for such a thing.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

I got 2 of these sets when they were first released (i *think* it was a birthday gift). I wish I would have been able to get more! As said many times in this thread this is a great army builder with a good amount of varied pieces.

Oddly enough when looking at the current castle line I am almost reminded of this set -- in the way that the new ones are somewhat smaller and include a good variety of minifigs and gear. Seems Lego is swinging back around with castle, hopefully they keep in this direction and perhaps we'll see something like this again in the future! :)
-Joe "Cool"
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

just lovely

What happened to the people that designed those sets ??
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

jokkna wrote:just lovely

What happened to the people that designed those sets ??
Thats what I would like to know but my guess is that they were re-assigned to different projects. This was a good set, figures are great army footmen, should have bought more when I had the chance but was most-likely broke buying other Castle lego. :)
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

I got the set off of E-bay. I really like the design and the simplicity of the design as well. It is a little shakey since it is on the revolving piece. But some added bricks and presto a more sturdy catapault.

And the scale mail figs are great.

Good times.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
Jibbajaba
Laborer

Post by Jibbajaba »

This was during the peak of my lego collecting/building, but somehow I do not remember ever seeing this set, much less buying one. Too bad, too, because it is a neat little set and more scale-armored soldiers would be much appreciated in my collection.

Chris
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

1992 was quite a year for Lego Castle those Black Knights remain one my favorite factions.

This set contains a good parts selection, and two good generic soldiers with good torso design.

Is easy to be nostalgic but I feel that the two generic soldiers in the current set 7091 Knights' Catapult Defense have finally surpassed this torso design which I had until now considered the best generic torso design for chain mail.

Not to say I would not like this torso design to be reused in future sets, I feel it would stand up quite well even now.

The catapaults bulldozer bucket scoop lacks a castle feel.