Could there be more for 2004?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Could there be more for 2004?

Post by Teh Stud »

Like most people, I'm somewhat disappointed with the new 2004 sets. I can really only see myself purchasing 8777, 8778, and 8780. Depending on how the brightly colored armor looks, I might only buy one of each. As many have already said, this doesn’t seem like a banner year.

Which leads me to my point. Maybe this isn’t everything? When I start thinking about all the different themes out, there are several that lend themselves to castle very well. Since I break sets down for the pieces anyway, I think 2004 could turn out very nicely:

Army Builders – Lets face it. There is ALWAYS a small little bagged set. If Lego chooses to include the executioner in the bag with the awesome new black helmet, I will buy hundreds of these.

Legends – With all the new armor colors, what Legend might be scheduled for release in 2004? The yellow castle might be a good bet. Remember, the knights in the yellow castle had gray, black, white and red visors. Even if the yellow castle isn’t released as a Legend, I’m sure that Lego will release a nice set.

Orient Expedition – I think some of the newest sets in this line are great. 7416 The Emperor’s Ship is my favorite. All the pieces except the top hat minifig are great for castle. The new pike’s are excellent. Except for the baseplate, the Dragon Fortress is a nice set as well. What’s in store next for this line? Could we get the Great Wall of China? Wouldn’t that be an excellent addition to castle collections?

Harry Potter – Yeah, the kid minifigs are worthless. However, there have been some really nice sets from Harry Potter. Plus, you can almost always find these on discount later in the year. I love those slytherin shields. (As a side note, I can’t wait to match the green armor with the slytherin shields). Lego is going to release a new castle for Harry Potter, and a bunch of other new sets. I bet there will be quite a few that will be great castle additions.

Star Wars – These sets are great for peasants. Pick up a few on bricklink! Luke and Obi-Wan can help fill the kingdom’s coffers!

All in all, there are great choices out there for castle fans. No, the sets aren’t as good as the glory days, but there’s still a lot to choose from. I feel there will be a lot more in the future as well.

-Aaron

P.S. When Bionicle came out, I thought the sets were pure rubbish and would never sell. Boy was I wrong. Based on the Bionicle results, I would hope that Lego has done market research and based the new castle sets around this. If this is true, the new castle sets will do great with kids and result in more new castle sets. Maybe round 2 will be better for us AFOLs. I have hope. At least there are castle sets! Purple armor is better than none!
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I hate to reply to my own post, but look what I just found on lugnet.harrypoter!

There is a lot more:

http://www.toywiz.com/lehapo.html

-Aaron
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I would think Lego would release a few more sets than just those that we have seen so far, there is always hope! If Lego would have made the Armor in Gray, Black, or even in much darker colors instead of the bright ones they are using now the new sets would look MUCH more appealing to me. Some of the sets do show some promise as far at Pieces go, they just better not cost a whole lot.

Wow! That (Griffon?) set looks great, might pick up a few of those, they could make a neat little fantasy creature. The set also has some nice pieces for building trees and foliage. I had never really looked into the Harry Potter sets, but these ones look pretty good as far as Pieces go, I just wish the figs weren't so useless...
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

There are rumors of something more, but if it is true, that would be an illegal leak. I will keep it to myself. The more vigilant out there may already be aware of these rumors. We will know all in after Toy Fair anyway.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Hagrid's Hut and Shrieking Shack both look like they will be good for parts.
INTENSS
Freeman

Post by INTENSS »

All of those Harr Potter sets (aside from the train and bus) are full of nice little detail parts. I love the Griffin in the first one. That's awesome. Very good stuff.

-Rich
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

Plus, you can stock up on the silver breastplates and noseguard helms to easily change around some characters so the color is more mixed! I know the red torsos will be good for my Rohan army, and those shields, once the emblems are removed, will be perfect for my Minas Tirith knights, who in the RotK films had shields that exact shape bearing the emblem of Gondor!
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

I better hoard a lot of those parts you mentioned before you damage all of them. :lol: I like to keep the original emblems.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I hardly ever change any LEGO parts, but the temptation to make guards and knights from Minas Tirith is just too great!
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I have always refused to even look at the HP sets, just because they are HP. After looking at this years sets, from the HP and castle to orient, I think this is going to be a VERY good year for pieces. I hope I might find a few sets worth keeping... but the piece sellection this year is most welcome. And besides... you can always open a Bricklink store to get rid of all the worthless (to castle builders) pieces.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Now dragons and demonhorses will have gryphons and pegasi to battle! I like it and it's in a cheap set too. (do you think there are studs on the backs so the gryphons can be a mount?)

And the dog piece. Maybe this is a sign of more domestic/civilian sets to come? (Still no cow or chicken!)

Yes it will at least be a good year for piece collecting. Although, I must confess that I still have a childish hope that TLC will begin anew the castle line this year. Funny isn't it. :lol: All I realy wish for now are good army bulding sets...

C
ps: glad you were right Redaxe!
Last edited by Christopher McCleerey on Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

I can't wait for the dogs. All good nobles should have one.
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Yah, I just had to make my own. But TLC's look much better. :wink:
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
Kev
Bailiff

New lego train set

Post by Kev »

I was just looking at the new Hogwarts train set, and in the background, behind the regular figs, there's what appears to be a fig with a dark gray Sith hood piece and what must be a full-body "ghost" like cowl of either plastic or cloth. I don't recall from the books if it fits this scene, but that must be a ringwraith, er, dementor. Anyway, looks cool. Very creepy.