Crusader's Lion

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Mr. D
Councilor

Crusader's Lion

Post by Mr. D »

Hey, does anybody know how the Crusaders got their lion insignia instead of a cross? Sorry if this is a poor or boring subject, but I've been wondering for a long time. :?
And does anybody know if I used the right "their"? :oops:

Mr. D
LEGOFREAK
noy dna rehtih

Re: Crussadar's Lion

Post by LEGOFREAK »

Mr. D wrote:Hey, does anybody know how the Crussaders got their lion insignia instead of a cross? Sorry if this is a poor or boring subject, but I've been wondering for a long time. :?
And does anybody know if I used the right "their"? :oops:

Mr. D
I dont think there is a reason why except thats what the Lego company did. Maybe it was to avoid any sort of religious overtones? The lion was favored in England, the Fleur-de-Lys in France and the Eagle in Germany...more a matter of style I am pretty sure..

If not - someone will correct both you and me. :lol:

Legofreak :lol:

PS
:D you used the right their, but it's spelled Crusaders

I always spell Tuesday wrong (except now because I checked it :D )
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

I think that Legofreak got it right on the head. They have made a point to stay away from any religious undertones at all. And a cross would be more of a "in you face" statement. Even if it was not ment to be. Also, Lions are "noble, strong, brave, king of the land" and all that stuff. You know, symbollistic and all.

Jedipawn
Long, long ago. In a galaxy far, far away... THERE WERE CASTLES!!!!!
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Jedipawn wrote:I think that Legofreak got it right on the head. They have made a point to stay away from any religious undertones at all. And a cross would be more of a "in you face" statement. Even if it was not ment to be. Also, Lions are "noble, strong, brave, king of the land" and all that stuff. You know, symbollistic and all.

Jedipawn
Even if lions are, in reality, lazy. :p

On-topic, I must agree with Legofreak. Also, perhaps they were lions because of King Richard...? After all, he was a Crusader and he was "Richard the Lion", correct?
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

You are quite right. Very lazy...

Richard the Lionhearted, I believe. Any history buffs out there know for sure?

Jedipawn
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The lion knights were called "crusaders" later. Originally there were sets like "King's Castle". So these are the kings men, later called crusaders.

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

ok so the question of "why the lion" would be answered by; " the lion is the king of the animal world... ok got it
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks, guys. And thank you for the spelling correction, Legofreak. :D

Mr. D
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Richard the Lionhearted was the leader of the Crusaders at one point. With his entering the Crusades, the Crusaders finally had a leader that could match Salahaudeen (Saladin) in combat.

Overtime through many battles, the two great military leaders developed a respect for each other, even though they actually never met face to face. Soon they both agreed to some peace settlement.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Jedipawn
Artisan

Post by Jedipawn »

Now there is a good idea for a lego battle!!! Time to start collection info on the middle east during that time...

Jedipawn
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
architect wrote:The lion knights were called "crusaders" later. Originally there were sets like "King's Castle". So these are the kings men, later called crusaders.
May I ask: Who actually invented the name "Crusaders" for the knights from 6080? I've got several US catalogues but none of them sports the name "Crusaders" for those Lion Knights. The only set I can think of that has "Crusader" in its name is 1877 Crusader's Cart, and that's not even a "Crusaders" set but a Forestmen set.*

This said I'd suggest not to bound slavishly to any set names but rather call them by their numbers. While the numbers are the same allover the world the names differ not only in different languages but even also in different countries with the same language. Please have a look at the 1988's UK catalogue (pic=link):

*) Legend has it that a nobleman returned from a crusade, found his castle destroyed and turned into Robin Hood the revenger. For this he had to hide from (which preposition is requested by "to hide"?) the authorities. Maybe this is the story that the set 1877 wants to tell. As you probably know the cart features a hiding place for Robin Hood.

Bye
Jojo

Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

Haven't heard from you in a while Jojo! Busy building or with "real life stuff" no doubt. Looking at that catalogue page triggers the salivary glands in my mouth :lol: Sadly this is one of those names, that although commonly used in certain circles (ie, Lego fans calling them Crusaders) is in a broader context not PC. It may be more accurate to refer to them as English, and yes, the BF's could be Germanic. I tend not so much to dwell on the names, but admire the marking these torsos bear. Beats a monkey any day!
Troy T. Moore
Sir_Marcellus
Laborer

Post by Sir_Marcellus »

I never thought of them as Crusaders, I always say King's Men and put "Crusaders" in parenthesis so people will know who I'm talking about.

Yeah, they are definitely not Crusaders. While the Falcons could be Germanic, they may be Normans.
Kyrie eleison
Christe eleison
Kyrie eleison
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

re

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

I'd love to have all the sets on that catalogue page! :shock: It's funny, I don't remember any of the booklets released in Canada refering to any of the forsetmen as "Robin Hood" specifically. Obviously, that was/is the intention though.

Interesting.....it would seem that LEGO castle themes with a storyline attached to them is not a new concept.
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Jojo wrote:
May I ask: Who actually invented the name "Crusaders" for the knights from 6080? I've got several US catalogues but none of them sports the name "Crusaders" for those Lion Knights. The only set I can think of that has "Crusader" in its name is 1877 Crusader's Cart, and that's not even a "Crusaders" set but a Forestmen set.*

This said I'd suggest not to bound slavishly to any set names but rather call them by their numbers. While the numbers are the same allover the world the names differ not only in different languages but even also in different countries with the same language. Please have a look at the 1988's UK catalogue
Hi Jojo,

You bring up excellent points. Perhaps I can look into the origin of the name "crusaders" I never use it myself. I prefer Kings men or lion knights.

I assume it was meant to be lion knights and eagle knights according to UK set names (before the eagles became falcons)

Ben E.
Sets Admin