Crusader's Lion

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello again!

Sir_Marcellus wrote:While the Falcons could be Germanic, they may be Normans.
Now, it's not that easy, either. In medieval times there hasn't been a "Germany" with the eagle as its coat of arms. Nor an England with the Lion crest (I guess). Every noble family had it's own coat of arms, so when Richard was the king of England his Lion was the sign of the current king. As for the eagle as a German symbol: In the middle ages the Eagle was a symbol for the Holy Roman Empire which, though, the territory of modern Germany was a major part of. But every king and duke who owed the emperor allegiance went by his own coat of arms. And so did the dukes and barons in England.

To get back to the topic of LEGO: I'd say each crest symbolizes a noble family rather than a whole country. If we wanna compare the LEGO castleworld with the real middle ages we may be able to see Richards men in the Lion knights, some other nobleman in the Black Falcons, perhaps Norman barons in the Dragon knights, and Robin Hood's men in the Forestmen. David and I had a similar discussion a few months ago :-)

Bye
Jojo

Kev
Bailiff

knights

Post by Kev »

Whenever someone refers to the "crusaders," I think of the 375 knights, along with the red white & blue shield guys, as I think of the yellow castle being the sandstone of Holy Lands, and some of them do wear the cross. I think of the 6080 guys as the "lion & Axe" knights, and the guys in that one town set - 15?? as the "Lionheart" knights, since, well, their shields have a lion, and some hearts.

Gosh those sets look great. I'm sad that the next legend will be coming out in an off color.
Jojo
Master

Re: knights

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Kev wrote:Whenever someone refers to the "crusaders," I think of the 375 knights
Yep, the guys with the Maltese cross are the real Crusaders since this order was founded during the crusades in the Holy Lands.

the guys in that one town set - 15??

Bye
Jojo

David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

That's a good theory, Kev. Yellow castle could be a Castle in Holy Land build during crusades. It's look very like sand stone.

I'm theorising... It could make me like this set more. :wink:
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Thanks for all the replies, guys! I've always seen the Lion Knights referred to as "Crusaders"; that's the way there listed in the Fibblesnork Lego Guide: http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/castle/ .From know on, I'll refer to them as Lion Knights. :D
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Mr. D wrote:I've always seen the Lion Knights referred to as "Crusaders"; that's the way there listed in the Fibblesnork Lego Guide: http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/castle/
Aha! So it was a personal choice of Todd Lehman only, I guess. Nothing official.

Bye
Jojo