European/American versions of CC Instructions?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Duchessa
Serf

European/American versions of CC Instructions?

Post by Duchessa »

Hey guys, since I'm pretty (and) new here, I'm not sure if this question has been answered before. But I've browsed the archives, and haven't seen it. At least not yet.

I have most of the older castle sets. I even have some duplicate instructions. I soon noticed that there were two different versions of the instructions to set 6021 and 6030. (Perhaps others as well, but these two I'm sure about).

Unfortunately I don't have a digital camera or a scanner right now, but I'll try to get some pics online later this week.

One of the versions have what appears to be more rough and hand-drawn pictures, the other looks like it's been computer generated. And if I look at the instructions to set 6021, there's another huge difference. One version has the white horse to the left (on the first side), the other version has the white horse to the right....

Which version do you Americans have? And has this been brought up before? I'm just curious.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Hi Duchessa,

I have heard of several instruction variations. Unfortunately many of my old instructions are packed away so I can not check. I believe that Jojo knows all about these issues and can answer them better than me. We could wait until he finds this topic (or invade 1000Steine chat :wink: ).

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I hear my name?

Duchessa, I know what you are speaking about. I myself have four different instructions of 6030, divided in the two different versions of drawings as you discribed it, and three different print shop signs of which one print shop made two different drawing versions.

I've discovered that every small 1984's castle set (most likely non-castle sets as well) come with two types of drawings in the instructions (6010, 6021, 6023, 6030, 6040), and most instructions for small sets are printed by several shops until the late 80's.

I do not think, though, that the differences are specific to American vs. European instructions since I got all of mine from German sources.

Bye
Jojo

Last edited by Jojo on Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duchessa
Serf

Post by Duchessa »

Hi Jojo, and thanks for the answer!

I had the idea that it could be one European and one American version, since I bought some of my old castle stuff from the US. But I surely believe that you know what you're talking about! :)

I'm going to sell some of my duplicate instructions in the near future, but I think I'll hold on to the different versions from 6021 and 6030. I mean - how would I decide which one to keep and which one to sell? :)