Which castle on a raised baseplate is your favorite?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products

6098 (6091)  King Leo's Castle
No votes
6090  Royal Knight's Castle
9%
6086  Black Knight's Castle
52%
6082  Fire Breathing Fortress
No votes
6081  King's Mountain Fortress
27%
7419  Dragon Fortress
12%

Total votes: 33

Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Title says all.

Myself, I really like the Dragon Fortress. Great colors, great pieces and lots of hiding places!
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
akochan
Villein

Post by akochan »

Is not 6086 Dungeon Master's Castle?

-Andy
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

akochan wrote:Is not 6086 Dungeon Master's Castle?

-Andy

6086 Dungeon Master's Castle and 6068 Black Knight's Castle are the same set.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I too voted 6086.
6086 Dungeon Master's Castle and 6068 Black Knight's Castle are the same set.
That brings up the question: Since they changed the name after one year, and since in America the names are printed on the boxes: are there two different boxes with the two different names around?

Bye
Jojo

timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

dragon fortress is indeed nice but 6086 wins because it is a four walled castle.

TW
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I gotta go against DMs here. Black Knight's Castle all the way.

TLC pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaase make it the next legend!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Yes, please make it a Legend. I love those Black Knights, they're my fav Castle subtheme and I need more Barding!
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

There's a 'good' raised baseplate? ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Charlie
Freeman

Post by Charlie »

I'm not really all that fond of raised baseplates, but out of all of them I like the 6090 (is it the same as in 6086?) Baseplate best.

A good use for raised baseplates is for making landscapes without using too many bricks, or a support structure underneath (I'm talking about making hills and raised sections) Just lay the raised baseplate down, cover it in whatever color you are using as your landscape and you have a little hill, although it does limit the shape and design of the hill a bit.

I also wish they would re-release 6086, I have never had the set, but it looks great, has a great selection of figs, and a nice amount of Armor and Horses, I would probably buy multiple copies if it was release as a legend. (Which reminds me, I'm so excited about the Black Falcon's Fortress and Guarded Inn that I just bought, can't wait until they get here!)
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I had to go with 6086, I have the set and I like it. With a few modificationsand extra pieces it was easily made into a defensible keep. This was truly the last great castle. 6090 was pretty, but was just not a practical keep. The Dragon Fortess to me is probably the next best use of a raised baseplate. It at least looked good. Drop the Johnny Thunder and his lame pals and add a few more guards and it would be a great set. Hands down the best use of the raised baseplate since the 6086. I will likeley buy more as the Orient sets get more deeply discounted. Brick built would still have been better for all the sets that use raised baseplates though, imagine the greatness of a Dragon Fortress that used the sloped Ninja panel instaed of the raised baseplate... Now that would have been worth buying many multiples of...many...many...

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
coyote
Peasant

Post by coyote »

In my opinion the best raised-baseplate-castle is 6081. Not that I dislike 6086 - it's great.

But 6081 is the most authentic Middle Age castle for now. Other castles have nearly the same layout: Big gatetower, two small towers at the far corners and a square in the middle surrounded by four castlewalls.

6081's layout is more "real life".

First of all it has a donjon (not sure, if that's correct, babelfishh spit it out; i.e. the main living tower) with a living room in it. I made some kind of throne and furniture when I was young for that room. I also like the gate on it's back to open it. A nice detail for playability.

In the second place, there's a kind of fore-castle behind the main entrance: you'll have to pass a ramp in order to get into the main tower or behind the shieldwall.

Talking about the shieldwall (again, babelfish), i.e. the wall dividing the castle into two sections. Many real castles had this kind of architecture.

The other side of the shieldwall maybe some sort of kennel (you guessed it: babelfish), where often wild creatures patrolled and scared intruders away. I like how the hill is integrated into this part of the castle, it's - imo - supposed that attackers come from the ground and first have to conquer the raised baseplate. Hope you understand my point ;-)

And finally, it's the only castle that has a technic brick to connect with other buildings from former sets. That's how this castle fits wonderfull into a villiage secene without any need for landscape modelling or taking to much place away from your table (I always tried to make distances between castles and buildings a little bit of authentic - it simply doesn't make sense to to put different fractions near together ;-))
When in doubt empty the magazine.
Never share a foxhole with someone braver then you are.
If you're short of everything except the enemy, you're in combat.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

6086 Black Knight's Castle is definitely the best, in my opinion. It's got a nice assortment of gray and black, and has some of those Tudor-style, pre-made walls. Not to mention the barding, the armor and the knight's helms. Oh, those helms with movable visors, I wish I had some! Oh, well; pretty soon I'll have my Ebay debts to my Dad paid off, and then I can buy tons of helms and armor.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I'll have to go with 6090 - Royal Knights Castle. I know that you refers to it as a fantasy castle and it had too many parts that not really suitable to make something other then that castle, but I really like the way it looks.

If the question was for parts reasons only I'd probably go with 6081 or 6086 (depends if you prefer gray or black).
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This is a very interesting discussion and I like it. :D

I have to agree with Anthony. I prefer castles without raised baseplates. I dream of a 6080 Legend.

I also find it interesting that we each have different tastes for these castles. I voted for 6081 King's Mountain Fortress. It is smaller and seems a bit more realistic. I do not own a 6086, so I could not vote for that. I do like 6090 and own it, but it is more of a fantasy castle. There is nothing wrong with that since it still retains some realism.

Right now I am just happy that King Leo's Castle does not have any votes. :wink:

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Right now I am just happy that King Leo's Castle does not have any votes.
Yeah well I doubt that it will get any. Is the reason 8781 not in the list at all because we know in advanced that no one will vote for it??? :lol: