6098 - Knights Kingdom Castle
No votes

Total votes: 43

Webrain
Journeyman

The most authentic-realistic medieval castle TLC ever made

Post by Webrain »

Not much to add to the subject really.
I disqualified all the fanatsy castles (6082/6097/8781/4709).

Also take into consideration that the color is less effective, I mean if you think that the most realistic castle is the yellow castle but it's yellowish bothers you then think of it as gray or whatever you like.

Waiting to hear what you all think.

P.S. for me I guess it will always be 6080 - Kings Castle :roll:
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

I voted 6086! Thats the best one in my opinion. Now I'll explain the flaws of the others.

375- Short walls, yellow stone, and gate is too weak. Also there is no floor, just walls.

6080- Has no substance to it. All it is is soldiers. Just walls and men.

6073- Way too little.

6074- Very nice. But again it is but a collection of castle wall pieces. And why such a big gate for such a tiny interior.

6090- Second most realisitc. It has a nice exterior and interior. Everything one could want in a castle, but without the armor mind you.

6098 - A very historically accurate "Cinderella"
Castle :mrgreen:

Now that I've bashed those sets I'll explain why 6086 is so good. The walls are nice and high. The gate is backed up by a nice steel gate. There are tall archer turrets. The Tudor pieces add some accuracy because the men in the castle need quartes. What more could you ask for. Very accurate, very nice.

Please 6086 as a LEGEND! Its legendary LEGO! Its legendary :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dragon Master who wants 6086

We wants its....nasty knight's kingdom stole the precious......we wants it back.....precious.....precious!
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

King's Castle is by far the most realistic LEGO castle in my opinion. The square corner towers and large rectangular gate tower show this.

Try to think of a castle without its faction. 6086 is a great set, but would you like it as much if it belonged to the lion knights? I doubt it. :wink:

Ben E.
Sets Admin
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Hmm... Never liked the Lion Knights much...

The thing is, the colour scheme of the Lions would throw everything off. They are more the bright colour types. Throw them in a black castle and they'd look bad.

6086, I guess. 6080 is just too much of a box for my liking.

Can someone explain why so many people like 6080? I don't quite understand...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Devari,

I think you are missing the point. This poll is not choosing your favorite LEGO castle. It is choosing which one looks the most like a real medieval castle.

If you have visited European castles, like I have, or seen books with castle descriptions and photographs, you would understand that architecturally King's Castle is the most realistic.

The knights and factions have nothing to do with it. :wink:

Ben E.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

Hi everybody,
I think you are missing the point. This poll is not choosing your favorite LEGO castle. It is choosing which one looks the most like a real medieval castle.
As Ben said, not your fav. castle, not the color of the castle and especially not the faction.

Try to imagine the castle as a life size castle.
Now which one of them could be a real medieval castle?

P.S. Dragon Master, you haven't explain what's wrong with 6081.
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

Peasants could just hop over the walls?
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

Ben i'm jealous lol

in what nations have you visited castles? I'm rather curious as to the differences in what you'd see in england france as opposed to perhaps germany spain or italy.

tw
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

I'd say it's a toss-up between 6080 and 6086. I couldn't decide, so I didn't vote.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

I went with 6080, but to me, 6081 also looks like a fairly realistic little keep. It has many elements that look authentic. (ghost behind the wall not withstanding) :wink:

Will
Last edited by wlister on Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Taki
Villein

Post by Taki »

Ok hmm nice question. A real castle needs a house for the people, who live there, a huge gatehouse (to frighten the peasants) ,a few towers ,buildings like stables, stockpile, kitchen, etc. and of course walls.

The problem with the most castles is, that there are towers and walls, but no house. So 6080,6073 and 6085 can't be real castles.
6074 is a nice frenchstyle castle and it has a house, but i think it is to little. Size does matter ;)

The most realistic castle is 6086. There is a house, a massive Gate, walls, towers and a secret passage.

BTW: If you can receive the french/german TV-channel ARTE, watch the theme-evening "medevil" on sunday 20h GTM+1
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Taki wrote:
The problem with the most castles is, that there are towers and walls, but no house.
You bring up a good point here. I still like 6080 better because I think it looks more like an actual castle. However it is missing interior buildings and a keep. But perhaps the other sets like 6040 and 6041 were supposed to be attached to make up for that. Its hard to add modular shops to 6086 :wink:

timberwolf wrote:
in what nations have you visited castles? I'm rather curious as to the differences in what you'd see in england france as opposed to perhaps germany spain or italy.
Castles that I have seen and visited are all in Germany and Switzerland. I dont really count palaces that used to be castles that I saw in France and Spain. But I study architectural history. I love medieval military and religious architecture :D So I have books on many nice British Castles. This discussion is making me want to travel more.

Ben E
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Humm... No, I was thinking in terms of realism. I just can't think of a castle being a box-like structure. My question about th 6080 was actually meant to be slightly off-topic. I just want to know why so many people like it. 'Tis a good castle, but nothing very eye-catching IMHO. And it's made mostly of, like all other castles, wall pieces.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I just can't think of a castle being a box-like structure.
Some castles do have a box like structure with corner towers and central entrance gateways. Examples include Harlech, Bodiam, and Hever Castles. In addition, the walls would be angled on 6080 once you add additional sets like 6061.

6080 is not picturesque. It is a straight forward military design. It doesnt have timber frame additions or colorful roofs. King's Castle looks like a castle, in my opinion. That is why I like it. I also like the fact that it doesnt rely on a burp. Modularity is great. I can make it big or small. I can put whatever buildings I design inside of it.

This is subjective. There are many types of castles. But to me 6080 typifies a 12th-13th century British Castle, and that is why I like it.

Ben
Devari
Journeyman

Post by Devari »

Of course, from a purely parts standpoint, 6080 might win... Less % wall pieces...