Legends Question

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Dragon Master
Merchant

Legends Question

Post by Dragon Master »

A while ago TLC asked fans to vote for the next castle legend. Which sets were on that list?

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

I think 398 hasn't even been on the list but was re-released nevertheless.

Bye
Jojo

Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Thanks Jojo, I can always count on you. Well I guess there is a slim chance of 6086 because 398 wasn't on the list.

We'll See,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

for those of us who don't do numbers, what sets r those??
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Barbapple wrote:for those of us who don't do numbers, what sets r those??
Those sets r s follows:

Sets @ Lugnet

Bye
Jojo

JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

No 6086? :(
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

ty i hope it is the yellow castle
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

I wasnt' aware that we had to vote for the USS Constel.

BTW, did you guys think that set was any good? I never got it, but I got this groggy feeling that it was just a bulk brick set.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I have not bought the Constellation. It looks to be a good set but I am not sure that I want to pay that much for more black bricks. Proportionally, I have too many black bricks when compared to other colors. This legend puzzled me actually. Other sets could have been more successful in my opinion.

Although there isnt any proof of this, a majority of the sets on the poll have been made so maybe all of them will become legends. I think a set like 6062 Battering Ram would be appropriate so children could connect their modular BFF after adding the Guarded Inn. Of course if LEGO released almost any old castle set other than 6037 I will be thrilled :D

Ben E.
Sets Admin
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

Please no! 6037 Witch Winship is the worste candidate. Don't mention it. You'll give them this idea.

It's lengendary, but not for the good things. :D
Troy T. Moore
Gentleman

Post by Troy T. Moore »

It's lengendary, but not for the good things.
How true! Made me laugh out loud David.
Troy T. Moore
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Barbapple wrote:ty i hope it is the yellow castle

It wasn't - the yellow castle, while universally remembered, didn't do that well (6074 stomped it in the voting and went on to become a Legend).
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Dan_BL
Apprentice

Post by Dan_BL »

I'm not surprised. While the lego castle is like "memories" to some of us, it doesn't appeal to children anymore. Do you think kids would rather have a pile of yellow bricks instead of some castle walls, bricks, tower parts, gates, ladders etc.?

The yellow castle was good when there were no other castles to compare it with. While some of the knights are kind of neat, I dare say the rest of the castle outweighs any desire people would have to buying the set. This is of course, not to mention they would have to order it through S@H.
Barbapple
Steward

Post by Barbapple »

but the yellow castle is more than a memory. It was a lego revolution! One of, and in my opinion, the best Lego castle ever! Sure enough it was before the time of horses and fancy walls, but isn't that what makes it so great? I say go yellow, and let the others eat cake! 8) :twisted: :P
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!
Dan_BL wrote:I'm not surprised. While the lego castle is like "memories" to some of us, it doesn't appeal to children anymore. Do you think kids would rather have a pile of yellow bricks instead of some castle walls, bricks, tower parts, gates, ladders etc.?
According to TLC's latest attempt to create a new Castle line they do not even think sets like the Black Falcon's Fortress appeal to children anymore. TLC thinks Powerranger knights are what children want these days.

The yellow castle was good when there were no other castles to compare it with. While some of the knights are kind of neat, I dare say the rest of the castle outweighs any desire people would have to buying the set. This is of course, not to mention they would have to order it through S@H.
Now, this means: The idea "Legends" is futile. The Yellow Castle IS a legend. It has been a legend for years and it will be a legend in future, regardless of TLC re-releasing it and labeling it a "Legend" or not. It has been the first Castle set. Fullstopp. That's enough.

Any of the existing Legend sets are legendary only to people who knew them before. Most kids now living never knew there have been sets like 6067 Guarded Inn or 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress. So the whole Legend thing is just a matter of memories and a matter of being a long-term fan of LEGO. The younger guys on Classic-Castle.com wouldn't know these sets, either, if they didn't know the databases like Lugnet and Brickset.

The Castle legends are from 1986. That means they are mostly legendary to people about 20-30 years of age. The USS Constellation is from 1978 and was meant for older children. So it is probably legendary to people from 27 to about 40. And it IS a legend to them, this ship has been the pride of many LEGO shelves and still is the king of many Model Team collections. It doesn't matter if the set attracts today's kids (most likely it does not), the original set attracted the kids back then. And again, this is enough.

Anyway, I could live without sets officially being labelled "Legend" and being re-released. Each set has its time, the time of a Guarded Inn or a Black Falcon's Fortress was 1986-1989 (GI till 1988). They wouldn't be considered legendary if they had been available all the time from 1986 until now. Part of the concept "legend" is: It's over. So making them available again in my opinion (that is of course very humble) sorta means killing the legend.

Everybody has memories on certain sets, but that doesn't necessarily mean every set is a legend. Now most requests for sets to be re-released are made not because people think of them as a "Legend" but mostly because they don't have the original sets but want the parts. Again that means to pervert the idea behind the "Legend" and again it's just my humble opinion.

Bye
Jojo