Weekly Set Review: Siege Tower

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Papy.G
Laborer

Re: Weekly Set Review: Siege Tower

Post by Papy.G »

It is a nice parts/figs set, very nice for an expansion, but kinda lame as stand alone.
I love the fact one soldier has a black helmet, Would have been better for variety to get one gray too, instead of two gray with neckguard.

I got half this set in a bulk of castle minifigs and loose parts. All men and weapons except for the saddle (a spare blue made the replacement), and only one simple feather/crest, plus the complete wall section, the four wheels and some little black parts.
I could easily build up the siege tower from parts found around on the net, except for the gate hinges and ladder, too expensive as spares.
Anyway I'll probably keep the set's men as-is to put in my mocs (as the ones from 6073, from the same bulk buy), and use/improve the wall section for my forthcoming castles (something like the 6080 or 6073 build up from parts).
And in the end, I'll buy one complete, when I'll find one less expensive than a BFF on e-Bay for example.

Jojo's arrangement is very nice, I must admit I love it, it is one "good" reason to want to get the classics. :twisted:
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
friskywhiskers
Landlord

Re:

Post by friskywhiskers »

David Girard wrote:It's a nice set. The wall are a bit simple, but the tower is fantastic. It has only 4 minifigures. 6 could have been better, (like 6062).

The most interesting part of this set is the siege tower. It's a lot realistic. I can't wait to own it.

There a mistery on this set. Wich clan is the owner of the wall ? The Black Falcon or the Lion Crest ?
You liked the seige tower?! :twitch: I thought that the fact you could connect it with other sets was cool, but in my opinion the seige tower and mini figs were very cheesy :? .
DerBum
Laborer

Post by DerBum »

You liked the seige tower?! I thought that the fact you could connect it with other sets was cool, but in my opinion the seige tower and mini figs were very cheesy .
I must have missed something here, the siege tower is the piece of siege equipment that came in this set and is the primary item. The wall piece is nice to expand a castle, but I think was included simply to round out the set. As far as Lego siege equipment goes the siege tower is one of the best built and certainly functional (especially at the time). I didnt see anything wrong with the figure selection, a knight to lead the attack and men to man the tower... worked for me.
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

DerBum wrote:
You liked the seige tower?! I thought that the fact you could connect it with other sets was cool, but in my opinion the seige tower and mini figs were very cheesy .
I must have missed something here, the siege tower is the piece of siege equipment that came in this set and is the primary item. The wall piece is nice to expand a castle, but I think was included simply to round out the set. As far as Lego siege equipment goes the siege tower is one of the best built and certainly functional (especially at the time). I didnt see anything wrong with the figure selection, a knight to lead the attack and men to man the tower... worked for me.
I agree. The snot technique in this first siege tower was years ahead of it's time in terms of set design. The wall is simple but extremely useful for expanding your castle (6080, 6073, or 6074) into the realm of polygons instead of the normal rectangle shapes. The next wall section available that allowed this was 6062 Battering Ram. One of the very few design flaws in the current Kings Castle Siege is the lack of hinged walls allowing a variety of wall shapes and expansion.

Ben
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

It's really weird reading stuff I wrote six years ago.

Anyway, my only new thoughts are that this is still my second favorite Siege Weapon + Wall style castle set behind the Battering Ram from 1987 because you got a lot for it's price and the siege tower is still fantastic.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Nto my fav but I do like this set as well. And it came with a knight and some useful soldiers.... hard to go wrong. The wall was a nice addition to other fortifications and the tower was good as far as siege towers go.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
quaraga
Total n00b
Total n00b
Location: roflysst (rolling on the floor laughing, yet still somehow typing)

Post by quaraga »

wow this is awesome!
pros:four minifigs which is pretty good by todays standard
connects to other castles/castle wall pieces
siege engine
reconfigures into an awesome gate
cons: needs another faction ( I like you guys' ideas but I would much prefer fome bfs or something)
theres nothng else i don't like. :?
He who thinks you should look at the box that says "Quaraga" if you want to find out his username (about as useful to you as his real name). he only wants you to look so he can laugh about you looking there because he's a total smart...
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

Bruce N H wrote:Oh, just one more thing. One slight improvement that this set could have had was to somehow include the horse hitching piece. That would have allowed for an alternate model to make some sort of wagon since you already have the horse and four wheels, plus various plates.
Since it was one of the first sets with snot techniques, you can go on and make the hitching part from plates. :)
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]