Weekly Set Review: Knight's Castle Wall

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Lord Mikal
Archer

Post by Lord Mikal »

yeah, should've bought one. Unfortunately, it came out while I still hated the bleys, which I'm now rather fond of (great mottling capability). Oh well.

This would be even better if it had an interior. I haven't actually seen the set, but based on TLG's recent designs, it doesn't look like it does. They also messed up the archway, and it really needed archers instead of jellybeans. other than that it's kina okay.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mikal1]My Brickshelf[/url]
Azure, a saltire cantoned with a star in chief and in base and two crescents addorsed in the flanks, argent.
HenrytheV
Gentleman

Post by HenrytheV »

The only thing I like about this set is the oil pot and the doors. I'd never buy it though, just Bricklink the parts.

2/10
(Just for the oil pot and doors) :P
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=HenrytheV]My Bricklink Store[/url]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

I'll say it in a few words: Just Save Your Money And Buy From EvilBAY 6061 or 6062 (whatever gives you more pleasure). You want regret it believe me
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

One of the best of the KK2 sets from the first year, this set contains three knights, plenty of bley (good for building up that collection that you're going to have to get if you buy ANY new sets), black doors, a gold 2x2 disk (nice shield), and- amazing in KK2- an extra Talonjay shield.

Parts: 7.5/10
Playability: 7/10
Figs/Accessories: 6/10
Design (universal): 7/10
Design (contemporary): 8/10
Nostalgia: 5/10

Overall Score: 6.75/10 (C+)
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow
Squire

My Opinion

Post by Shadow »

Although I haven't bought this item I am impresed with its features. Not only do you get three out of the four knights, but you also get all of the wall pieces for a cheap price. If I weren't saving my money for better things, I would certainly buy this set.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

This is the best Kk2 set that came out the first year.

For pieces, lovely. Three knights, including Rascus (with armour), my personal favorite. A gold disk, an extra shield, and black doors.

The design is quite nice for a KK2 set. No noticable holes in the wall and a nicely built tower. The whole thing reminds me of an old classic wall.

From a kids eye, this might not rank too high on the list. It does have three knights and a building for them to stay in I'll admit, but with out any bad guys to fight, the whole thing would be rather boring.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I somehow missed getting this in the value pack. Waited too long I guess. Is it worth paying $20 for?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Athos wrote:I somehow missed getting this in the value pack. Waited too long I guess. Is it worth paying $20 for?

Steve
Oh I think so, if only to get the Knight, if you haven't got any already. But it's your call, really.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bannear
Artisan

Post by bannear »

I would buy it for parts but don't think there is much to it other than that. I don't collect jellybeans yet, 5/10.
Bert.
Bert Annear
Bert's Brick's
http://www.BrickLink.com/store.asp?p=bannear
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

I don't collect jellybeans yet
Me neither, and I don't think I ever will. But I would buy this set for its pieces, as most people here said.
Wilod King
Serf

Gong Farmers are people too!

Post by Wilod King »

Sorry, I read more often than post :oops: , it's a hard life being a gong farmer. I'm not a big fan of the KK2 line, but for somen reason I have bought two of many of the sets, including this one in the two set pack with Vladek's Seige Engine, mainly for parts. I'm not a fan of the "Jellybeans", but Santis and Rascus, being red and green (colors not too far out) with modifications make good leaders. Rascus with the dark grey bucket helmet and a green cape, and Santis with an old school dark or(in my poor case) light grey visor, and a red cape. I have a handfull, literally, of the two and don't need any more. I think that the lack of generic troops is a pity (except for the shadow knights on the other side, looking better with a black plastic cape, the smaller ones, and a black hood, again the smaller ones). I really like the large doors in this set, and the cauldron, I haven't had many of these. But I didn't like how the set was made up of a smaller number of larger pieces :evil: , e.g. the wall pieces. I think it goes well with the siege engine for playability, it reminds me of the Black Falcons/Lion Knights battering ram set. I've had no trouble with the new grey pieces, meaning I don't mind them, but I don't really like the rest of the color scheme with light blue and whatnot. I do like the new octagon shields, well only the scorpions, but the shape is nifty. The set only scores points for me for pieces, and that a low score. Oh, and I like the torch design.

And further off the subject :shock: :roll: , I only got one castle of Morcia, how many kings do you need? I don't like the new swords, except maybe bronze ones, they are way too long, big, and colorful. They're nearly as tall as the minifigs, how do your ride with them, how do you unshieth/shieth them or take them from your side? Also the citidel guardian looks better with a brown cape and hood(small one), and even Vladek with an oldschool black visor, he's got nifty euro armor for evil minions.
Wilod, King of the Dilods, Destroyer of Worlds. A.K.A. Psychoboy, Ruler of the Unknown Universe, and Cheese
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Re: Gong Farmers are people too!

Post by ottoatm »

Wilod King wrote:Sorry, I read more often than post :oops: , it's a hard life being a gong farmer.
Not a problem with that... a lot of us probally do a bit of the same. :-)

I hadn't thought to mention the torch idea, but I do have to say that that is one aspect of the wall that I like quite a bit - nothing big, but a nice little suprise when I was putting the set together.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Graynar
Gentleman

Post by Graynar »

Wilod King wrote:
Sorry, I read more often than post , it's a hard life being a gong farmer.

Not a problem with that... a lot of us probally do a bit of the same.
I have noticed. :P

The knight's castle wall for starters is one of the best sets of KK2.

Pros:

-three of the four jelly beans and no purple knight yay!
-Usefull green base plates. (well to me they are.) :wink:
-The tower is designed quite well.
-Usefull cauldron piece
-2 Talonjay shields!
-Big black doors.
-Gold pieces.

Cons:

-buying this alone isn't too great. Three jelly beans vrs no one. Unless you get the two pack with Vladek and 1 shadow knight.
-no interior
-big use of burps for the wall
-santis's visor(couldn't help put that in) :wink:

That's all I can spot, but it's not too bad of a set. I should purchase this one day, but my Santis visor inventory keeps rising. :(

Graynar
Nick
Steward

Post by Nick »

-buying this alone isn't too great. Three jelly beans vrs no one. Unless you get the two pack with Vladek and 1 shadow knight.
Yes, it would be much better if there were actually some attackers, otherwise this set has no play value at all.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Nick wrote: Yes, it would be much better if there were actually some attackers, otherwise this set has no play value at all.
Yea, I think that's a good point. Now that I read your post, I think that must be the purpose behind the attack pack, with Vladek's seige tower. Combined, the two are perfect in complementing each other.
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]